• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What Do You Think SS Was Missing?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The ability to save manually. I don't at all see why they'd hold off from that and place Save Statues around the provinces instead, other than including the save feature with taking you to the sky and/or saving and then quitting. But those could just as easily, and preferably, been incorporated on the pause menu. Although that screen was quite loaded with the stuff you needed to collect throughout the game, they could've put the manual save feature right next to the Interface Selector, if not replace it, because I can't tell the point of controlling the interface.

A Dark Link fight. Really, I don't understand how they could have overlooked this. With the introduction of motion controls to Zelda, I figured for a long time that a foe who mimicked Link's movements would've been featured. Of course Ghirahim warded off Link's swings and Demise anticipated certain actions, but that doesn't make it the same. Well if not this time then maybe next...though it did feel missing.

More means of transportation on the ground, other than the Speedboat. I didn't like having to return to the sky just to get to another province if you could've done the same on the surface. Don't get me wrong; Loftwings are awesome, but I prefer flying only when going to Skyloft. They could've added a river connecting to the beginnings of each realm, which we could traverse using the Water Scales that Faron gave to us.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The ability to save manually. I don't at all see why they'd hold off from that and place Save Statues around the provinces instead, other than including the save feature with taking you to the sky and/or saving and then quitting. But those could just as easily, and preferably, been incorporated on the pause menu. Although that screen was quite loaded with the stuff you needed to collect throughout the game, they could've put the manual save feature right next to the Interface Selector, if not replace it, because I can't tell the point of controlling the interface.

I agree, only that I would still like the save statues to have stayed in. Hopefully they'll do that in Zelda from now on. While the save statues are convenient, as they allow us to pick up right where we left off, it can be annoying to hunt them down when we need to save at a moment's notice (even when they're literally everywhere).

A Dark Link fight. Really, I don't understand how they could have overlooked this. With the introduction of motion controls to Zelda, I figured for a long time that a foe who mimicked Link's movements would've been featured. Of course Ghirahim warded off Link's swings and Demise anticipated certain actions, but that doesn't make it the same. Well if not this time then maybe next...though it did feel missing.

From a gameplay standpoint, this makes sense. From a canonical standpoint, though, it doesn't. With Skyward Sword being a prequel to the entire series, Dark Link would have needed a legitimate explanation of where he came from for his appearance to fit properly, and that's the last thing that needs to happen with him. Dark Link needs to remain a mysterious character that has no background and no origin.

More means of transportation on the ground, other than the Speedboat. I didn't like having to return to the sky just to get to another province if you could've done the same on the surface. Don't get me wrong; Loftwings are awesome, but I prefer flying only when going to Skyloft. They could've added a river connecting to the beginnings of each realm, which we could traverse using the Water Scales that Faron gave to us.

A big reason for not connecting the provinces was so each one could be completely original with their own unique gimmicks. A stretch of land connecting them wouldn't require puzzles most likely, which would have been out of place for the game's style of play. It was just a one-time thing to fit the whole theme of the sky. I mean, really, would we have returned to the sky much at all if there had been connections between the provinces on the ground? Probably not. And that would have taken a pretty good deal of fun out of the game.

I don't think it was missing much but adding a dungeon where you get to fight ghirahim's cohorts would have been interesting
I also disliked the fact that you had to return to the sky to warp into the same province I wish that you could have moved between the provinces. I would have like magic added because it would have added something to killing enemies

skywardsword13

Dawn of the Final Day
i loved the exploration and new areas/provinces that they had, just wish there were more, and a little bit more explortion freely. i thought it was missing an optional help system, but instead we get a bunch of just being pointed everywhere.

and an extra dungeon or two wouldn't of hurt. Maybe one ice, one spirit temple type, and maybe one more in the SKY!!! I mean I though the game with Sky in the title would have been a few more dungeons in the sky. Sky Keep is one, but that one is like a final dungeon, and is like a mix of all the previous ones, so I don't count it as Sky theme. The only way it was sky themed was: It was in the sky :dry:

But I think if there were more servants of Demise than Ghirahim the game would've been longer, and those followers could've had something to do with the extra 2 or 3 dungeons :P

The Sky could've had ALOT more places to explore too. Maybe explore the sky area around the sky dungeon? More sky inhabitants cities would've been welcome.

A big reason for not connecting the provinces was so each one could be completely original with their own unique gimmicks. A stretch of land connecting them wouldn't require puzzles most likely, which would have been out of place for the game's style of play. It was just a one-time thing to fit the whole theme of the sky. I mean, really, would we have returned to the sky much at all if there had been connections between the provinces on the ground? Probably not. And that would have taken a pretty good deal of fun out of the game.

Yes, we would have. Returning the three stone pieces to that tower (I forget what they're actually called and what the tower is named. funny how things just slip your memory), The Gratitude Crystals, Opening the Isle of Songs, Upgrading/Buying gear, etc. There would have been plenty of reasons to go to the sky even if the land areas were connected. The only difference that would have occured if the lands had been connected would have been to make travel to the other regions less of a hassle and to make the game seem more realistic. Don't forget that once we finished in an area we didn't just go strait to the next region. Frequently, we had to make pit stops at Skyloft and that wouldn't have changed if the lands were connected.

I also disagree with you on the fact that it would go against the "gimmicks" of each specific area. Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting what you're actually trying to get across, but the gimmicks in the three surface areas were no different then the gimmicks of Death Mountain, Kokiri Forest, and Zora's Domain in OoT. Each had there own theme and yet still managed to connect everything fluently.

I can't really think of anything from a technical standpoint or anything of that nature at the moment...but...

• I would have liked it if some kind of connectivity could have been acquired between the three provinces at some point(s) in the game, even if they were small. This does not necessarily mean there needed to be a massive Hyrule Field between them, but perhaps a few [hidden?] pathways connecting them would have been nice. That way, it wouldn't have significantly detracted from the sky theme and exploration. I guess it'd be sort of like the Lost Woods of OoT in a sense.
  • Another thing is I really thought there should have been an ice region/dungeon included. It is not an essential part of Zelda, in my opinion, but I'd imagine such a region would look pretty awesome with Skyward Sword's graphical/artistic direction. It would have also been quite interesting to see how the controls would be utilized in such locales and what item would be introduced to complement said places.
  • I would have liked to see more familiar races from the series scattered about. Although, I'm not complaining or anything, as the ones featured were awesome additions and/or replacements. It'd have been nice to see more Sheikah and the Kokiri, though... (I miss those little green guys and gals)
  • I really would have liked to see more tunics in Skyward Sword as well. There could have perhaps been a blue one and a red one for aquatic and volcanic regions, respectively. Their designs could have been based on the designs of the three dragons of their respective regions or something to that effect. On the subject of Link's garb, I think it'd have been neat if we were allowed to wear Link's casual Skyloftian attire at some point in the game also. Even if the tunics didn't have any special qualities about them the likes of OoT, it still would have been cool to be able to change them for strictly aesthetic reasons and stuff.
  • Lastly, I felt like Skyward Sword needed a Picto Box. Imagine taking pictures in Skyward Sword! It would have been cool to capture it's brilliance in the form of photos. Along with this, there could have been a sort of collector's sidequest the likes of WW where you could take pictures of enemies, special objects, and NPCs. The pictures taken could be then turned into figurines or something. It might have also been nice if there was a side-quest where Link would have to take pictures of specific things on his journey for someone in Skyloft. Oh, and I can only imagine what its upgrades would have been like.

I'm sure there's something else, but I can't think of anything else at the moment... :yes:

Well yeah there are some things I'm missing in SS:
- First, were are the redead's? The enemies in the Acient Gistern came close to redead's. But they still missed some things.
They're my favorite enemies so you can understand I'm sad that they aren't there =(
I don't miss only redeads, I had the whole game the feeling I was just fighting against the same enemies.
- I missed the feeling of exploration, just running around the field, blowing things up and find some secrets.
There was a lot of space in the sky, but they didn't used it.
- An extra dungeon would've been nice. Just a way of doing something and get away from the story for a while.
Something like the Cave of Ordeals? But I really missed an ice dungeon. Those are always my favorites
- 2 Items, Boomerang and Fishing rod, well I just missed them.
- Just a boss that isn't predictable, I don't know if you noticed, but far too much bosses have to be hitted in the eye in order to defeat them. Not every one of them, but far too much for me. I like finding out myself how to beat them. Maybe a battle with a dark link would've been awsome ^^

Well that's everything I can think of right now

I was really hoping for an epic three to five phase final boss (not including Ghirahim). Demise is so easy to beat if you know the sword hit and shield bash pattern (spoiler? 3 hits, 1 bash, repeat) - even applicable for the lightening round. He seemed to be a joke to me, nothing compared to any of the final bosses in the Legend of Zelda series. I was highly disappointed.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
1. More towns and villages.

The overworld seemed so barren and deserted. Sure the game took place centuries before the already sparsely populated Ocarina of Time but at least one more village would have been appreciated.

2. Dark Link Fight

The 1:1 sword combat seemed to be a perfect breeding ground for a Dark Link swordfight. Fortunately, the second Ghirahim battle more than made up for this with timing, dodging, and precise blows all coming into play.

3. More memorable music

Well, come now. Though the soundtrack was orchestrated only the Ballad of the Goddess, Fi's Theme, and a few dungeon themes were truly memorable. Twilight Princess mistake repeated over again...

4. A better beginning

Skyward Sword was missing a lightning fast, get into the action beginning such as those of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Story development was therefore extremely slow until the Bird (or whatever it was called) Ceremony.

5. Zoras

You can't have Gorons without Zoras and was sad to see the aquatic race replaced by much uglier, possibly ancestors in the form of the Parella! Yuck!

6. More useful instrument

Strumming the Goddess harp gave little satisfaction and never took on the meaning of the Ocarina of Time in the N64 days. It was a shame to see such wasted potential.

7. More developed helper

Don't get me wrong-Fi was an amazing helper albeit an annoying one. ;) However, her story truly was explained well until the game's finale. Nevertheless, Fi provided an effective contrast to Ghirahim throughout.

It was lacking discovery. In SS the only things that were really there to "Discover" were Goddess Cubes, Gratitude Crystals, and those stupid birds that were flying around holding red rupees. Other than that everything was very obvious. It wasn't even a challenge to find treasures and bugs, since The Blacksmith (Forgot Name) and the Potion Mixer (forgot name) both told you where they were. Now Twilight Princess and Wind Waker were entirely different stories, Everything was a mystery. It was a secret to everybody.

VaatiWindMage24

Majoras Mask 3ds!!!!
What Could Skyward Sword Have Done Better On???

Hey guys, vaati here. I thought Skyward sword was awesome, yet there were some big flaws in it. For example, *spoilers* the final battle between Demise was much simpler than I expected. And he only had one form! Well if you dont counthis thunder skyward strike, but still I expected one of the most epic face offs in zelda history with the sweet graphics and motion controls. Yet we missed out allitle...I want your opinion, what do you think they coud've made much better?

1. Exploration was a big key, i feel like they could have created an area for you to roam and explore when you got bored or stumped and just wanted to take a break and go treasure hunting.
2. I really think they should have done more with Ghirahim. Not himself, but his wherabouts. Perhaps he had a mansion atop the Eldin Volcano? Or perhaps he had a little cabin in the woods? Some place with his little red minions bringing him information about Zelda, Link, etc. A place for him to be, because if you think about it, where was he while we were out saving the world? I think his "mansion" would have been a great dungeon of some sort!
3. Information on evolution and creation of species. I really wanted to know the story of how the Gorons and Zora were made. I have so many questions! Did the parella turn into the zora, and then the zora into the rito? Where did all the Mogmas dissapear to after the Gorons took over Eldin, Death mountain?

I'm on my third playthrough of SS and I just noticed something that I wish had been implemented...

Secret grottoes and/or caves! Like the lantern cave or the bomb cave in Twilight Princess. Those are my two favorite Heart Pieces to get in the whole game because I really feel like I'm exploring...it just can't get better than that. :P Or like the grottoes that were in the TWW islands. It's a really cool feeling finding new places in areas that you thought had already been fully explored.

Also, I wish they wouldn't have depended so much on Beedle. >_> Beedle sells you SO many items (at ridiculous prices...not to mention he RAISES them!!) that could have been obtained in sidequests, goddess cube chests, or...in secret caves! Ever since Beedle was introduced, they just give him all these cool items that you're forced to buy from him if you want to complete the game 100%. Sure, it makes Rupees actually useful, but I just feel that putting him in games is just lazy and easy way out for the developers. I really wish he would just go away :P

skyward swords puzzles felt dummed down because the gdc 11 trailer showed what looked like a fun challenging game, don't get me wrong skyward sword is a grat game and my favorite actually, challenging too. Challenging in fighting way not puzzle way like hero mode was pretty hard but the temples/dungeons went buy seemingly too fast my 2nd time through. harder puzzles should have been put into the game at least in hero mode only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom