• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Zelda's Darkest Moment

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Zelda's full of very dark and disturbing moments, but the two that take the cake for me are the Dead Hand and the falling of the Moon.

The Dead Hand is... just... the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in a Zelda game. True, outside of Zelda I can think of a few things more disturbing than that (the entirety of Silent Hill and John Carpenter's The Thing, right off the top of my head), but within the confines of Nintendo games it takes the grand prize for screwing up my childhood.

And for the end of the third day... that still gets me to this day. The utter despair that permeates those last few hours is unlike anything else I've experienced. It truly feels like the world is coming to an end, you don't have to be told about it like in so many other games, you yourself experience it. From that sadly disturbing music, to the way everybody gives up hope in those last hours, to the fact that you can clearly see the source of the world's demise coming strait for you and you feel like nothing you can do can stop it, I can go on.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Several things in TP were really "dark" for me. I was freaking out when Zant attempted to kill Midna. I was like "Midna! Get up!" and then was terrified to see what I thought was Zelda giving her own life. But what mainly stuck to me and tortured me for years to come was the cutscene when you first meet Zelda. Showing how Zant took the castle. I was young and was thinking "Did they just kill that guy!? Oh my gosh the monster killed that guy!". The hand things were immensely dark. My sister was babysitting kids at our house, and some of them were near tears when I was running from them.

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
A lot of things were rather dark in Twilight Princess. (Hmmm, maybe that's why I fell in love with it.)

The cutscene where the children were kidnapped and Link first enters the Twilight is rather dark to me. Especially since you see Midna watching Link transform, pass out, and get dragged away by a Shadow Beast.

Another dark aspect to Twilight Princess was the story of the Fused Shadows that Lanayru tells you after bringing the Light back to the province. Considering the fact that Illia tries to kill Link but he kills her instead proves this point. Honestly, while watching that particular scene for the first time, I was baffled.

The scenes where Zelda gives her life after realizing herself who Midna is, where you learn about the Mirror of Twilight and where Midna tells you about the Twilight Realm and what happened when it was taken over by Zant are very........capturing if you will. They are very dark indeed considering Zelda basically became a spirit-less shell afterwards, Zant terrorized the Twili by turning them into Shadow Beasts, and that the Mirror of Twilight was basically the Sages banishing Ganondorf after he kills one of them with the strength of the Triforce of Power that revived him. However, they capture the player's interest and play a major role in the story.

I find the entire Arbiter's Grounds just plain scary. But that's coming from the girl who quit for a few hours after about crapping herself from being scared half-to-death by the ReDeads the first time playing the game. The mini-boss, Death Sword, makes it obvious that it is pure evil. The way Zant awakens the boss is also very demonic-ish in my opinion.

The scene where you are told that Midna is the Twilight Princess is very astonishing the first time through, yes, but it is also a reminder of the darkness in the game that must be ultimately defeated.

Ganon's Puppet Zelda and Dark Beast Ganon are the big aspect of darkness for this game. It is basically a battle against the pure evil that tarnishes Ganondorf's heart (not that he has one) and that could potentially be the end of Hyrule.

After seeing just what the power of the Fused Shadows can do (bosses and Midna's transformation) and what dark magic binds the Mirror of Twilight and how it basically radiates evil power (Considering how Yeta went from looking at herself in a shard to trying to kill you).

After what was basically a review of Darkness in Twilight Princess, I do have more oddly.

Majora's Mask was also another game with dark aspects.

Majora's Mask itself is one of the prime sources of darkness in this game. The power it had to completely possess Skull Kid and turn him so evil that he's basically going to destroy the dimension of Termina is completely..... scary. It reminds me of demonic possessions.

The way you obtain some of the masks is dark as well. The masks that you use to transform into a Deku, Goron or Zora are good examples of this. Those masks (plus the masks of the bosses) contain the spirit of one who has died in the game.

Unfortuneately, I don't remember much from watching Majora's Mask being played so I can't continue with the dark aspects of that game.

There is a general amount of darkness in each Zelda game I believe. Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess just have the more outstanding amount of darkness in the series.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
What i find dark in these games is obviously very different from the rest of you. i dont find any certain cut scene as dark, but some of the themes i find dark. For instance, the young punk guy aka Grog (MM, and you all know Grog is an alcoholic drink right, which fits with the punk thing i guess). In OoT Grog was the son of the Carpenter, And the Carpenter was embarrassed/ashamed of his son and they didnt speak, the distance between them was so bad that even his sister "cocco Lady" hadnt seen him in years. then when you see him as an adult he has exiled himself from the village and went to the lost woods, and when you return to him he is no longer there, with fado claiming he had become a Stalfos.

I dont know but i find that pretty dark, hell the fact that lost children in the Woods turn into Skullkids, the whole theme of "dis-pare" is all over these games. Like i said; to me the darkest part of these games are the themes it uses

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Twilight princess and Majora's Mask contain all the "Oh my god how is this in a zelda game!?" moments for me. But Twilight princess' moments stayed within the realm of a zelda game and its rating (T for Teen). Majora's mask on the other hand, had a lot of stuff that was really out there for zelda and for its rating (E for everyone)

Twilight Princess:
-when link is first turned into wolf link. It was such a wrench from all the peacefulness of Ordon Village to see link being horrifically and painfully transformed and then dragged off by a Shadow beast which was equally horrifying at the time
-twilight hyrule castle- this was so early in the game and such a drastic change of environment and it was really creepy too
-Arbiter's grounds, all of it
-When Zant jumps at the screen
-How zant turns his own people into shadow beasts and for the whole game you have been slaughtering twili
-When Yeta SPINS HER HEAD AROUND ALL THE WAY AROUND AND HAS ANOTHER FACE LIKE THE EXORCIST OR PROFESSOR QUIRRELL OR SOMETHING
-Imp poes: Freaky when you first meet them and equally freaky when you rip their souls out as they lay screaming on the ground
-that one cutscene where lanayru explains the dark interlopers and the triforce and where link kills Illia, when his eyes turn all white, all the giggling falling Illias, his scream at the end......*shudder*...
-The first cutscene when you see zant take the castle and the shadow beast grabs that guy and kills him and the revealing of zant
-that noise that zant makes- you know what I mean if you've played TP

Majora's Mask:
-The moon.........that face.............
-how the moon crashes into termina and EVERYONE DIES
-the elegy of emptiness statues. It was so hard to make the link statue after learning about the ben drowned creepypasta
-the towns peoples reactions to the moon-apocalypse
-THEM..........*shudder*...........
-the entire game was so insidious
-The postman's breakdown
-Mikau dies. He dies right in front of you.
-link screaming when he transforms
-Ikana valley, all of it
-Majora's eyes. What? Ok you try staring into them for extended periods of time!
-Majora, the demonic entity

Last edited:

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Hmm, where to begin:
-The creepy cutscene from Twilight Princess comes to mind. I still remember seeing it for the first time and thinking, "What did I just watch?!"
tumblr_lm3icrEvg71qfju8t.gif
tumblr_lm3id6OIkA1qfju8t.gif
tumblr_lm3idtxm5R1qfju8t.gif
Like seriously, what was that? :P
-The whole Majora's Mask, moon falling, Happy Mask salesmen, 3 days to live thing was also dark as well. The whole sense of despair and hopelessness gave the young me shivers. Plus, this image is forever engraved into my mind.
tumblr_lu9j94lork1qfr3k1.png
-Talking to the dying guard in Ocarina of Time. That was just sad...
-The resurrection of Demise.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, wait!

-Ghirahim's tongue... yea...
Ghirahim_tongue_trick_lolz.gif

Triforce Hermit

Praise the Sun
Darkest moment for me is when you let the moon fall in Majora's Mask. Just because you realize the characters you learned to love in Termina die and you fail.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well, the most darkest moment in Zelda is when the screen goes black. Now that's pretty dark. LOL.
Dude, that actually made me laugh!! :dog:

In all seriousness, the most dark thing in Zelda for me is actually anything that represents "the end." When I talk about this, there are two things that come to mind: The drowning of Hyrule in TWW, and the Moon falling in MM. Also, the story of the dark interlopers in TP is really creepy... It's almost as creepy as the Elegy of Emptiness statues... Oh geez, talk about scary!! :wynaut:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom