• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Zelda X: The Never Released Zelda 64 and Ura Zelda Talk

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
uralogo.png

Greetings everybody. I'm a bit euphoric, because this is my first serious Thread here at the Zelda Dungeon (introduction Thread did not count).
This topic may be discussed a thousand times. And maybe, there is a similar Thread. So I've searched and searched, but there are so many Threads were Ura Zelda is mentioned. So it's hardly impossible for me to find a Thread with the same topic. So, I have to apologize if there is any similar Thread.

Ok, let's go.

This Thread:
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?17436-Could-OoT-3D-Be-Ura-Zelda

was the main reason to create my Thread. I would love to talk about the old Zelda 64, Ura Zelda and the Restoration project led by ZethN64. And also about Ocarina of Time 3D. Do you think there will be new stuff added which was available in Ura Zelda for the 64DD, but never made it in the final version of Ocarina of Time?
I would like to talk about all this stuff with the member of Zelda Dungeon. Your opinion is very important to me. Talked with a whole load of people about this topic in the past, but this wasn't very revealing.

thelegendofzelda165.png

(Image belongs to the Zelda Restoration Project: http://www.hard4games.com/)

There is an interesting interview with ZethN64 available at the Hard4Games Website. He is talking about the Restoration and the current state of the project (it's finished about 60%).

Interview: http://www.hard4games.com/news/210-ura-zelda-restoration-interview
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p38hBWhmRx4

Sounds very interesting, even it's a project not officially made by Nintendo. The Debug Rom of the beta was an important source for this project.

The project will feature many complete new and changed stuff. Like Navis original color, new items and different Dungeons.

Well there isn't a big chance Nintendo will release Ocarina of Time with any of this awesome stuff.

I hope you like to discuss a little about a long forgotten, never released game. Maybe there's a chance to hear something new I don't know by now

Thank you.

A video with Beta Screens on Youtube (how nostalgic)

[video=youtube;tQf25gmSELc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQf25gmSELc[/video]

So if anything is wrong with the Thread (like the embed video or the links), please reply.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to do a thread like this for a long time; I'm glad someone brought it up; I was afraid to.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I've been wanting to do a thread like this for a long time; I'm glad someone brought it up; I was afraid to.

Haha, me too. The Zelda Dungeon is so gigantic when it comes to it's contents. It's hard to create a complete new topic.
But the original Zelda 64 is a phenomenon to me. It was about 1996 or 1997 the game was mentioned in a german video game magazine. There were also a few pictures. One of them; Link getting the Triforce. This was the first stuff I saw from the original Zelda 64. I was really surprised when Ocarina of Time hits the stores. It was so different from what I saw in the past.

I think this Zelda was so packed with content and ideas, that when it was scrapped, the ideas helped make all the console/handheld Zelda games that came after it. I've been keeping tabs on the Zelda Restoration Project for quite some time, and I absolutely can't wait to see what's in store! :)

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Pause video at 0:43
Rupee counts that go... into the THOUSANDS! Yes, please.
Pause video at 1:58
Forest medallion... as a useable item?

I see a lot of interesting stuff, but unfortunately I believe it would have been impossible to impliment all of that into one 64 cartridge at the time.
That restoration project looks mighty interesting, and I'll have to check it out. As far as relating to OoT3D, no, we already know that it's not going to be this.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I think this Zelda was so packed with content and ideas, that when it was scrapped, the ideas helped make all the console/handheld Zelda games that came after it. I've been keeping tabs on the Zelda Restoration Project for quite some time, and I absolutely can't wait to see what's in store! :)

You're right. The unused ideas from the original Zelda 64 won't be lost. But every fan would like to see them in Ocarina of Time. So I hope these guys from Hard4Games will use the beta items wisely. But there is a chance Nintendo will ban this version after it's release. It's a risky project.

@Justeazy

Yes. The medallions were originally planned as a usable item. Like in A Link to the Past. There were so many cool things to explore. I've found the video yesterday. A few screens are new to me. There are many screenshots with strange content. A bit mysterious. But also very interesting.

Master Quest took Ura Zelda's place. It's a dumbed-down version, but it still took its place.

Kinda unfortunate, don't you think? It is cool, though, that many of the abandoned ideas from Ura-Zelda were incorporated into creating new titles, so at least a ton of good came out of it.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
You're right. The unused ideas from the original Zelda 64 won't be lost. But every fan would like to see them in Ocarina of Time. So I hope these guys from Hard4Games will use the beta items wisely. But there is a chance Nintendo will ban this version after it's release. It's a risky project.

They won't be banned. Have you ever seen Brawl+ or Project M? They are heavily modded versions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl; they haven't been banned or even approached by Nintendo.

True. Plus they gave full credit to Nintendo and stuff before they add mods and hacks and post some vids up on YouTube as well.

Jedizora

:right:
This is a nice find. I didn't know much about URA zelda, much less how far into devolpment it was. I love the look of the great fariy of power.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Glad to hear Nintendo is tolerant.

A few years ago there was a Remake Project for Chrono Trigger. It was also a project made by fans. And it looked very nice. But Square Enix has not allowed the developers to go on with that project. Sad story.
The project of ZethN64 has a lot of potential. The group has to finish their Ura Zelda project.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
About Nintendo and legal issues - it depends.

If they will release this as a full game, then Nintendo can stop them (not long ago, Sega did that with Streets of Rage Remake). The creators spent eight years on their work.

If they will release this as a patch for original OoT to change stuff (like my ALttP new translation), which will require a program to patch the ROM (like Lunar IPS), then usually they will be safe. The creators will release the patch, but to play the new game, you will need to find OoT ROM yourself, because linking to these stuff is illegal and against the forum rules.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I watched vids on Ura Zelda and to say the least it looked magical and something ive never seen from a zelda game b4. I always thought the ura zelda pics were just VERY early shots of Ocarina of Time, but I watched vids on the game and man was I impressed. Link's movements were VERY smooth and they looked almost EXACTLY like his movements in Twilight Princess....I saw slashing while moving and similar sword work from TP. It's interesting to note that the unused ideas from Ura Zelda were implemented into other games. I wouldve really loved to play that game because it looked darker than any zelda game ive ever seen. The enemies looked pretty neat too! and Link was a little reminiscent of his LttP self....Also It wouldve been cool if that add on came out bc i wouldve loved to play the ice and wind dungeons...However in OoT it is interesting to note that the Ice Cavern is a mini dungeon and COULDVE POSSIBLY been just a small portion of the actual ice dungeon. Also the wind turbines in the Shadow Temple along with that ship couldve been remnants of the wind dungeon. Either way there weren't too many ideas that were actually left out of OoT...Of course Link moved a little less fluent but remember that it WAS ona cartridge....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom