• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Zelda is Becoming Way Too Linear

Flagpole

I'm back!!
As the title suggests, my opinion on Zelda games, as the franchise progresses, is that Zelda games are becoming each time more linear with each new Zelda game release, with a very different type of exploration than the first Zelda game, and this type of exploration is much more limited than the first game.

I've literally just played through the first Zelda game: I've stopped playing it a few minutes ago. I've played until I've beaten 1/8 (or is it 1/9?) of it, having explored a portion of Hyrule until I saw a bridge over the sea, which i walked on to find a tree with a hole in it, from which you could enter inside the tree. Entering in it, I knew I've found a dungeon, and beated it in a short period of time, without even knowing I've beaten the boss until I got a new heart, my fourth one.

That was the adventure I've just played, and I've found it much more difficult than the other Zelda games, I've found it much less limited than other Zeldas: I had no help, not a Navi, not a Tatl, not an owl telling me where to go, not a Maku Tree, i was left there alone, only with a shield, almost losing the opportunity of getting a sword.

In the first Zelda you are thrown alone in Hyrule, without any hint, and only with a shield, having to find all of my future weapons (from which I've found a sword, some bombs, a bow and a boomerang).
I had to explore until I had come with the first dungeon, which I thought could be any other dungeon, and beated it's boss (is it's name Aquamentus?) without even any hint: the boss didn't speak, like the boss of the second dungeon of Link's Awakening.

I've also played A Link To The Past, in which I've only beaten the first dungeon, but I've found a lot of help, which the first Zelda lacks.
In Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora Mask and Oracle of Ages I've also found a lot of help, contrasting with the first Zelda's idea of exploration.

My conclusion to all of this is that Zelda is way too linear nowadays, having to go from one point to another, being telled where the dungeons are, and with a partner who can give you a lot of help (though the varios sidequests and heart pieces collecting make up for the linear gameplay) contrasting with the first Zelda, in which you have none help at all.

What do you think, guys? Do you agree with me? Or do you disagree? Please tell me your opinions :) .

P.S. Don't misunderstand me: there's a lot of exploration and sidequests in the newer Zelda games, but you receive way too much help in them.

S

Supershadow125

Zelda is becoming Linear because the new fans are stupid! (lol not really). I don't mind having help now and time but the first Zelda states that it is YOU who will save the world without any help YOU have to figure everything out, no one is here to help you other than old man and old woman. I like help sometimes but when it comes to linear games now it's PUT BLOCK HERE IN THIS ORDER ^<> YOU GOOD! That gets me annoyed so much that I don't play the recent Zelda’s often other than Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks they are an exception. But I will say this I drew a map of Hyrule and downloaded one to help me beat the game and if I were in Link's shoes I would have made a map as well. In conclusion Zelda games are Linear because Nintendo's pockets keep getting bigger (they better switch to the Giant's Wallet soon).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The reason Zelda is linear is because the crybabies who complained about TWW's graphics inspired TP's release. From my viewpoint, TP is the ONLY linear Zelda game to date, all the others have some sort of variation. Even OoT, which had a somewhat linear progression, contained the ability to complete dungeons in any order, so long as you use a certain glitch.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
The reason Zelda is linear is because the crybabies who complained about TWW's graphics inspired TP's release. From my viewpoint, TP is the ONLY linear Zelda game to date, all the others have some sort of variation. Even OoT, which had a somewhat linear progression, contained the ability to complete dungeons in any order, so long as you use a certain glitch.

Only TP? What about WW? It was linear. What about PH and ST? You couldn't do the dungeons in any order you wanted.

Well, my explanation is the linearity bring a heavier plot. Take TP, for instance. It's plot is much more deep that LoZ or AoL. This is because a part of the story unfolds after you beat a certain section.

Zelda is far too linear nowadays. I hope they fix it in Skyward Sword.

Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, and Twilight Princess literally have barriers where you can't cross until you beat that section of the game. TP had the Twilight, and the 2 DS games had the charts you had to collect. It'd be nice to see a bit of everywhere in the beginning, and then you can venture further into those areas once you've acquired a certain item. They shouldn't just say, NO! YOU HAVE TO DO THIS HERE AND YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

It makes the game feel super scripted, as if I'm in a play or an actor reading the script and following directions so the movie looks good. NO! I want to be on an adventure thank you, an ADVENTURE, not a movie. I'm not watching a movie, I'm playing a game. NOT AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE!!!!

K, I'm done.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
The Zelda series as a whole seems to be getting linear, but I don't think it's an absolute disaster. The series doesn't seem to be known for you figuring out everything for yourself (with LoZ and AoL as exceptions) and there is definitely more hand-holding than there used to be. That doesn't mean there isn't room for figuring things out for yourself though, most notably in the dungeon's puzzles. I do admit that there is more linearity in WW and TP, because you are more or less forced to do the dungeons in order. On the other hand, in ALttP, OoT, and MM you have some freedom in doing the dungeons.

More non-linearity would be good for the series, though. I don't want to be restricted by anything except my current equipment.

I wouldn't even say doing the dungeons in a certain order is my biggest problem. I'd say the dungeons themselves are far too linear.
It's like going from room to room, getting small keys, the item, and then the big key. Sounds like they are switching it up in SS though. More field type areas in dungeons means, more open exploration! Sounds good to me!

R

RyanP

I'm not sure I ever really bought this idea of 'Zelda is becoming too linear.' The dungeons for the most part, have always had some intended order, in the original and A Link to the Past they're even numbered and to a certain extent, some dungeons are inaccessible until you do certain things. Twilight Princess is linear and blocks everything off that isn't an immediate objective, but I don't really think this is a bad thing, as it has a more involved plot, so naturally making the game more linear enables the developers to keep track of the narrative easier. It was somewhat an issue with The Wind Waker I admit, particularly in the second section of the game with the sages, it shouldn't really matter what order you do them in.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
Telling by the style and architecture of SS, I doubt it will be too linear. Probably OoT and the original mixed together. Decent exploration and decent storyline (On Zelda standards).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom