• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda game you hated at first but ended up loving

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
^the titles says it all. ^^

As for me, it would probably have to be Majora's Mask. At first, I didn't like the reuse of the character models and I didn't like losing most of my items whenever I saved with the Song of Time. But by the time I hit the Stone Tower Temple, I friken' loved that game haha. In fact, it's my favorite Zelda game.

So what about you, friends?

Wind Waker. The graphics bugged me so much I refused to play it for many years. Hated the art direction, everything about its style.... finally gave it a chance on Wii U and its probably my favorite 3D Zelda game now.

Hmm, it's weird that even after replaying all of the 3D games fairly recently, I can't say my opinion of any of them went from "hate" to something else. My very positive opinion of OoT and TP has been universal through the years, with OoT being reinforced by the 3DS remake. I was indifferent to MM for the longest time until I did a 100% run, where I realized that it's probably objectively the most unique and well designed of the 3D titles. I thought SS sucked when I first played, and I still think it sucks now, so no difference there.

I'd say the closest I've gotten from "hate" to something else would be WW, almost entirely due to the HD remake. WW was my least favorite Zelda until SS, and while I still think it's a ungodly terrible follow-up to OoT plot-wise, the HD remake fixed a lot of my issues with it (namely the unbelievably stupid Triforce piece quest and the complete monotony that is sailing). Of course a lot of WW's issues can't just be fixed when they're inherently flawed, like the over-reliance of the parry feature for combat and snooze-fest that is the Great Sea, but I went from thinking WW was pretty bad to just considering it greatly flawed when compared to its 3D brethren.

I haven't played the 2D games enough to really warrant a second opinion, although my opinion on a majority of them (ALttP and LA specifically) remain pretty high.

I have loved no Zelda game after initially hating it. . . but I do kind of like Wind Waker now after initially hating it so much. WWGC that is. Not WWHD, still hate that. WWGC is still flawed as heck but I can see it's good ponits now and it's not too bad of a game. Just not the best Zelda game ever.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I used to hate skyward sword for the motion controls, but after a while I got used to the controls and actually LOVE it now. The story, the graphics, the gear, LOVE IT!

Oracle of Seasons. At first I hated it because I sucked at it and the challenging action-based dungeons did not help. Much rage happened on my first playthrough. but after replaying it, I ended up liking it, and eventually loving it because I gained skill and appreciation for the concepts it brought forward.

There are none that fit this criteria for me. I love almost every Zelda game, and the ones I didn't like at the beginning, I never came around to liking.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
The Minish Cap. Never hated it, but didn't give it a chance when it first released but later ended up being one of my favorites.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I didn't quite have this experience with hating one at first and growing to like it, but I didn't used to be particularly fond of Spirit Tracks before I played it myself. Most of the Zelda games we have were played by another member of my family before I played it, and so I already knew how they went and I really didn't have any interest in driving a train around and constantly revisiting a big tower filled with phantoms (which I hated when I was younger).

But now I do really like it, so yeah.

D

Deleted member 81859

I strongly disliked WW when I was younger and wasn't fond of ALTTP. Stupid, stupid 10 year old Tessy. WW will look great someday, I promise.
As for MM, I still hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom