• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda for Kinect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a recent interview with Pocket Lint, Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto talks about the motion control industry and Nintendo’s philosophy moving forward. Many critics of Nintendo and journalist alike have labeled the Playstation Move or the Xbox Kinect as the next step forward in motion control. As if to say that gamers got introduced with the Nintendo Wii, but are now graduating to the more high-tech HD experiences on the other consoles. Here is a tidbit from what Miyamoto had to say.
“Of course, I am happy that motion is fashionable now. But when we make games, we are not trying to produce trendy products. It needs to be an experience that’s meaningful, and the motion control needs to add something. So our new Zelda game takes motion control and adds something to the game to make you feel like you’re part of the adventure.
“I think our rivals need to find what it is they have to offer that’s new”.

I'm a xbox fan and would be the most exited person for this.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I dont think it will happen for one very obvious reason. Kinect is for Microsoft and zelda is for nintendo. He was hinting towards Wii motion Plus because the only console Skyward Sword will be realeased on is Wii.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Hmm... Well, I can't see it happening, really! Have you seen the way Link handles things? XD

I need to dodge this attack right here -- BACKFLIP! -- must parry that attack -- ROLL ON THE FLOOR AND BACKSLASH! -- that dude's got a helmet on, good for the Helm Splitter -- SHIELD BASH, EPIC SUPER JUMP, FRONTLFIP IN THE AIR! -- yay, he's dead! :D *cue awesome sword flourish*

I dunno about you, but I can't find myself rolling in front of my TV all the time just to try to get across Hyrule Field, or spinning around in a full 360 to do the Spin Attack. Besides... Who here can do ten backflips right on the spot? XD

It's a nice idea, though! :D

Majora's Cat

How about that
Nintendo should indeed be considering this, as creating a multi-platform Zelda game would be an extra profit and help expand the company's reach. Unfortunately, Nintendo platform exclusives like Twilight Princess, SMG, Ocarina of Time, etc. (basically all the Nintendo greats) will most likely remain on Nintendo platforms only. I say this because neither Sony nor Microsoft release many self-developed games on rivaling consoles. It would also be (sort of) breaking a tradition. How would you, as a Zelda fan, feel about Nintendo taking your beloved video game series and letting it be released on the XBOX 360, PS3, Kinect or Move? Some Zelda fans that don't own any current-gen Nintendo consoles may be ecstatic to hear that Nintendo is finally letting those poor, poor PS3 and XBOX fans experience the brilliant Zelda franchise, yet all of us who have grown attached to Nintendo's fine works may not wish for that to happen.

So I'm not saying that this is impossible, but it is highly improbable. Nintendo doesn't really like putting their first party games on Sony and Microsoft's consoles. Nintendo has never been very interested in such a prospect and will not likely be interested anytime soon. The company usually likes keeping its games on their own consoles (unless it is by a third party developer/publisher), then thiose games are likely to appear on a different console.

Point is, selling Zelda out for a few extra bucks isn't really worth it. Never has a main Zelda game gone multi-platform (as far as I know), and Nintendo isn't the type to let its competitors profit from its masterpieces. Sorry if you're an XBOX fan and would like to see Zelda in HD and on a different platform and with altered controls, but it just isn't going to happen. Shigeru Miyamoto probably did not intend for others to interpret his words as a sign of the near future, as motion control gaming is still unpopular and generally isn't well-received by critics. Motion controls (of this day and age) mostly deduct from would could be decent gaming experiences, and for that I'm skeptical that Move and Kinect will be big successes. If gamers do not wish to see motion controls in the future, then all hope for a Zelda game on other consoles is lost. Sure enough, we'll be button-mashing just like in the old days.

That being said, what about Skyward Sword? Isn't SS based on motion controls? I'm not saying that SS will be a bad game. Motion controls can be tolerated up to a point. Kinect (in my opinion) is a bit of a stretch, whereas SS still seems as if you can rest comfortably on your couch without so much as breaking a sweat. I like the idea of Wii MotionPlus and Move as they are now and hope that motion controls don't become too extreme in the future. After all, video games let you experience unreal things without even lifting your leg. That magic diminishes once you're forced up and off your couch.

In short, Zelda + Sony/Microsoft + motion control gaming = The first badly received main Zelda game.

benjibibbles

Disastrous Waffle Person
He was subtly telling the other companies to get some originality up them. I don't think this implies in any way that there will ever be a Zelda game for any non-Nintendo console, just as well too.

M

Mechanical Gun

What universe do you live in where Nintendo just loans it's IPs to MS?

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I don't think that this would be possible. Zelda is a Nintendo franchise while X-Box Kinect is for Microsoft and the PS Move is for Sony. I don't think that there's ever been a Zelda game on a non-Nintendo system. The idea just seems wierd. Just like MC said. If a gaming company doesn't have it's own consoles, then it would go multi-console. But other than that, Nintendo shouldn't have Zelda on Kinect or Move.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
This just wouldn't happen. In fact, Miyamoto is actually denouncing Kinect and PS Move for being unoriginal, stating that they aren't bringing anything new to the table. I don't see any sort of implication that Miyamoto or Nintendo would support such a thing. The message of the excerpt seems entirely contradictory to the notion of Zelda existing on a Microsoft console. Miyamoto is a man who tends not to like repeating a game by using a dangerously similar game mechanic as a crutch, and not only would making a game for Kinect go against this principle, it would also go against Miyamoto's own core principles, let alone Nintendo as a whole. There's not really much more to say.

On that note, this thread isn't really going to be able to go on further without causing issues; I'm going to have to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom