• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda 3DS, a New Zelda in the Handheld Could Offer Something Unique (Story Wise)

A Zelda game without a villain

The home consoles have now an expected Zelda game, which will bring us something new. Yet, the 3DS still has to have a new Zelda game for it. Considering this, I think this is a good opportunity to discuss what could they bring to this game. Not from the point of view of the new capabilities of the hardware, but what a new Zelda entry can do as a game in itself. The prologue to my opinion will explain clearly what is exactly I would like to see in a new Zelda.

Fantasy stories usually revolve around a mythical world and the struggle off powerful villains to obtain power and noble heroes who fight against them. The Zelda series is no exception to this. MM is one of the most unique Zelda games, which presents a different kind of villain and altogether a different Zelda world. The game begins as a personal journey but then deviates to a twisted plot in which you have to save the doomed world and counterpart of Hyrule, Termina. There are many aspects of MM I just find intrusive and that get in the way in the overall experience. The time limit among other elements of the gameplay is not as polished or accessible as they should. The biggest gripe I have is how the game ends. Link is searching this valuable friend argued to be Navi. He fought many battles, he saved another world and restored peace, but he never accomplished his original objective. The game ends with Link embarking once again in his journey and we never got to have any whereabouts. The game ended with this enigma. To this day the story of this Link was never fully told.

I have always wanted to know what happened, but I personally think this could be actually done. The story of this hero should be finally told. MM was a great game but failed to give a conclusion to the most important plot point it had, Link’s journey. He did find new friends, but at the end he was still left alone. Some speculate he lived in Termina and never returned, some think he just started a lonely life in Hyrule and other even go as far to believe he turned into a Stalfos in the Lost Woods as many other adventurers who got lost. Until the Zelda Team decides to clarify this is all about speculation. A new game could rectify this and finally conclude this unfinished story arc.

All Zelda games without any exception have a villain. MM had the most unique of them all, but he still was a villain. Adventure games rarely exist without a villain. There have been few and scarce adventure and fantasy stories that manage to have a premise that is both interesting and engrossing without a villain or some confrontation. Does the Zelda series need a villain for each entry? Now that the new handheld has been released, there is still yet have to be a new Zelda game announced for it, one created to use full advantage of the console. If Nintendo were to do a new Zelda game, I think they should do one that serves as a sequel to MM.

Few Nintendo games have a plot that does not revolve around a villain. Some do, they have the presence of antagonist but not villains themselves. The most outstanding example is Metroid II. Metroid II has the metroids as main enemies, and you must kill all of them as part of your main mission. You indeed have an engrossing and vast world to explore, interesting abilities to find, such a variety of enemies and memorable bosses to fend against. Bit has no villain. Yes, the Metroid Queen serves as last boss, but she is not evil. She is not even harming you. The metroids themselves are antagonists, enemies but not villains. Dark Samus aside. Metroid II managed to be a unique game because it had no true villain, but was as equally engrossing or even more so than other Metroid entries. Metroid II demonstrated you could have a unique and impacting game without having to fight against a villain and still be a game that relates to the there from the series without leaving the series trademarks.

The new Zelda for 3DS (it is unlikely we there will be a Zelda game for a home console in some time, the 3DS is the new console we could see a new Zelda in a short timespan) could be a sequel to the first two 3D Zelda’s. Serving as the entry that finally reveals the conclusion of Link’s adventure in that time period. A game that focuses on Link’s journey and his struggle to find his friend. Instead of having a villain it could merely be a truly personal story, that progresses on Link’s struggles and the measures he takes in order to find his lost friend. There is no need for a villain. This could be the opportunity for Zelda to have another unique entry to the series, just like MM was when it was released. But at the same time keep the Zelda feeling we all know and have been enjoying for decades. There should still be dungeons, enemies, items and an expansive world. Greezo already has developed a beautiful engine that is faithful to the original classics for the new Zelda game on the handheld console. They could employ that one to recreate Hyrule, or wherever Link would be in this new setting. This game could and should feel like a Zelda game, but one that’s stands out because it focuses on your own personal desire and struggle. There could even be some sort of villain involve, but there is no need to make this another plot that revolves around saving the world. I really love the series and fighting evil over and over does not become stale. But a game like this could serve the purpose to finally clarify what happened to Link from Ocarina of Time. It could also create a complete new Zelda experience, one that gives the player a new motivation to embark this quest, one as noble as saving the world, but one more personal and unique.

I just think this could work and still be a game like other Zelda’s. This could give us fans a complete unique experience, without leaving what makes the series so great. It could also treat us with a new type of story.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, I definitely want a new Zelda for the 3DS that takes full advantage of its console-like capabilities. Of course, I do want it to still have that handheld kind of feel to it, as in not true console difficulty (and I believe that's understandable why), but I don't want the 3DS's capabilities to go to waste. We'll see how it plays out, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom