• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Zelda 2 Afterthoughts

So here it is. I completed my first 100% walkthrough of Zelda 2. I never thought that I would be able to do it. Now overall I thought it was a great adventure, however I thought that the leveling system could have been increased perhaps one more level. I think the real problem that I had with the game was the lack of health regain. I think that health regain should have been as common as the magic jars, you can find them but still it is quite rare. I also thought that the introduction of the downward thrust and upward strike was really cool. So even though as frustrated as I got during some parts of the game (ahem.... valley of death I am looking and shouting at you!) I think that the overall experience of the game was great.

So what are the thoughts and or comments of the other people that have played the game?

Oh and also I played it on the 3ds so I had the amazing option of using the restore points but now i am going through it that real way.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i just recently play zelda II as well, finished it on wednesday. I feel the game was just fine, the comment you made about health drops...... i thought about that but when i did, i realized that the game would have been too easy with health drops, you have a life spell, and the strategy of the game is managing you magic. actually all strategy in the game but combat skill comes down to managing you magic. i realized that half way through.

I agree it would have been cooler if you could level up to 10 instead of 8, but again, it would have made the game easy, by the time i was level 8 on my attack, it was rare to find an enemy that took more than three hits. In the end i found the game very satisfying. in the beginning the difficulty was a lil heavy, but as you learn how to play against the enemies, its gets a lot easier. A few more clues would be nice, like the guy in the woods that had the note for you so you could cross over the water in the water town. but thats why we have the internet these days, NES was infamous for games that gave you no direction!

all in all, i love the game, and this is coming from a guy that Zelda II was my first game i had ever played, not just in the zelda series, but all video games. Back then i HATED IT! didnt really like the franchise until ALttP came out. but now that im older and more patient, i finally had my redemption, and the game wasnt all that bad really!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The game is designed to be extremely difficult, and most NES games followed that pattern. The game is great, but it just lacks what makes Zelda Zelda.

I can agree with you snake about the life spell and health regain no as i look at it. There was a lot of strategy in volved with your magic that made it deep so maybe you are right and i was just looing in the wrong place.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
LOL Its okay HH. Zelda II get a lot of guff from fan around here. I like it, but i agree with them that it does stray too far from the Zelda formula. But one thing that all other Zelda SHOULD have done was keep the use of magic, and do it like they did in Zelda II. That didnt come out right. let me explain. Zelda II, when it comes to magic and magic use, and balance of the Magic Bar, No other game in the series has done magic as well as Zelda II. So i think the Devs could learn from that game even if they dont take anything else from it

Many argue with me about this but i wish they would allow an XP system to return, that was a Zelda game where i actually felt my dude getting stronger, unlike any other game in the series. PPL say that its too RPG like, but i disagree. you didnt have to level up to beat the game, i was all the way to the last palace before i realized i could grind and level up, so i was only a 4 when i got to the final palace. People say that an xp system would force you to use it, but in the case of Zelda II is was completely optional. If you dont level up it IS more difficult, but all that means is that your skill level has to be higher, not xp skill, but the Players actual skill. and thats not a bad thing. If you ask me that is the answer to our difficulty issue we all have.

heres the thing they want balance in difficulty, older fans want the game to be harder, but they cop out and say that the DEV dont make it that hard cuz they want to cater to the "Casual" market, when really, thats not why, its cuz they arent really focusing on combat at all. so enter the xp system. for the casual market, they can level up and make their guy strong so the game is easier. for those who want the game to be harder, all you have to do is not go out and level grind. If you dont level up your guy, it wont keep you from completing the game it would just make the game harder, and you would need to use you gaming skill to beat the game. Simple really, but no one seemed to understand that when i made a thread about it, i didnt explain it quite as well as i just did here but whatever!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think AoL is perfect as it is, except for one thing: the game has a downward difficulty curve. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: if I gain more equipment and learn how to use it over time, things should be easier right? Well, I have to say that is true but not ideal for newbies to the game. The first palace, no, the moment you leave the starting area is brains-crushingly hard. That shouldn't be the case. Conversely, the last areas are very easy because you would have leveled up by then...I feel there should have been a role reversal there; the beginning should have been easy but the ending should have been hard.

If AoL got graphical remake and maybe some things toned down, I'm sure it would meet a better reception.

B

Blizzaga Saga

Zelda II might be my favorite Zelda game. It's the only one where you really feel likes it's you against the world, and the combat is intense. Unlike the other entries, this one actually requires extensive use of the shield for something other than solving puzzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom