• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Thoughts on Skyward Sword Surpassing the Legacy of Ocarina of Time?

From what I've seen thus far, I must say Skyward Sword is shaping up to be quite the revolutionary game, everything from the art style to the motion controls are all new for Zelda. We all know OoT was by far the most innovative game so far in the series, creating the basic backstory for Hyrule as well as things like the targeting system, it's musical score, and character development. Do you think we will ever see such a game again? Something that brings us such new gameplay mechanics and story ideas that it changes the series as a whole, much like OoT did? If so, do you think Skyward Sword could be the game? Please tell me your thoughts! :cucco:

Fig

The Altruist
I personally believe that Skyward Sword could be the game the way how you described it. Maybe it could even pass OoT as the most innovated game of all time.

I just want to note that it was A Link to the Past which laid the foundation of the modern backstory of Hyrule, of which Ocarina of Time expanded uppon.

What's most controversial about Skyward Sword will no doubt be the motion controlls. I estimate that a signifficant amount of players, perhaps as much as +10%, will face issues with it. In my case, I really hope it doesn't become tedious after a while.

Last edited:
W

Webber1900

I believe that it just might be able to topple Ocarina of Time, right now I'm already seeing some old and new ideas and innovations and combining it to be in the game. From what we have seen, I am very excited to see what will become of this game... can't wait till comes out!

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I have no doubt that it will be technicaly better than Oot in almost every way, I know there is a huge chance that I will like it a lot better than Oot, it's just that so many people got started with Oot, and they can't just let go of their favorite game like that.

I just want to note that it was A Link to the Past which laid the foundation of the modern backstory of Hyrule, of which Ocarina of Time expanded uppon.

What's most controversial about Skyward Sword will no doubt be the motion controlls. I estimate that a signifficant amount of players, perhaps as much as +10%, will face issues with it. In my case, I really hope it doesn't become tedious after a while.
You're right about AlttP, I had forgot about that, but I still think for fans just being able to see this backstory with the graphics of OoT is really what made it so much more special

OoT wasn't as innovative as alttp! it brought zelda into 3d which is great but that's it, it get's way too much credit for being the revolutionary zelda game. and i think ss will be better, OoT's my least favorite of the 3d games

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I believe that SS will need to do what it does 'right' for it to be better than OoT. I'm still disappointed at the lack of a magic bar, but whatever. If Skyward Sword brings some interesting gameplay to the table [and as person said, it doesn't become tedious] and has some lengthy sidequests that aren't few and far between, it'll be great just from that. The story in my opinion is just a plus, but I have no reason to think the story or cutscenes will be bad at all.

I've played with the Wii and I didn't find the controls to be too responsive. THe last time I played WIi Sports Resort was a few months ago so I can't comment. I just want to play SS and see how the controls are and how fluid the battle system will be. :3

I have no doubt that it will be technicaly better than Oot in almost every way, I know there is a huge chance that I will like it a lot better than Oot, it's just that so many people got started with Oot, and they can't just let go of their favorite game like that.

It's called "Nostalgia", my dear friend. Despite that, OoT is still one of the best games in the series.

What's really importaint in making anything is the process of making it. In works of culture (art/literature/movies/games/etc...), the final product will reflect this process. When you make a game, you shouldn't just get an idea and make the game exactly to that idea. What you will have to do is to analyze the idea, and figure out what will work well and eventually what will not work well. You will have to experiment with new ideas and how they will fit with existing ideas, perhaps do a little research on things related to the game in development and use some elements from them. When you have the game finished; the polishing can begin (basically the iceing on the cake).

In order for the process to go well, it has to be open, which raises some issues when it comes to large-scale productions like the games of the Zelda franchise. If the developers are given no limits; the development goes out of hand, but if too restricted; the process will be innefective. In any of these extreme cases the process may choke and break down.

In the case of Ocarina of Time, it was more or less a gamble during the development because the developers were given a signifficant amount of freedom. In the interviews, they state they weren't sure what kind of game it would end up being untill just befote it was released. They had some main guidelines, but their freedom allowed them to change things around and experiment a lot. I assume they were given this freedom because there were no expectations for how a 3D Zelda should be like at the time.

What I try to say is that the process worked for Ocarina of Time. As a result; the game greets the player with an amazing attitude, and it maintains this attitude for the entire game. This boosts the gameplay experience, which is what makes the game great (I agree that the fact that it is considered revolutionary alome doesn't make the game great). If you look at it on the technical side, OoT borrows so much from ALttP that it's just amazing, but that doesn't really matter. Simply put, OoT took what worked from ALttP and developed it further, with the developers full potential utilized.

I believe that expectations have killed the later games' chances of becoming as legendary as ALttP and OoT. Developers are given more restrictions, because 1: The scale of the projects have increased drastically over the past decade (thus more control is needed by the producers), 2: The director knows that we - the gamers - want something at least a little comparative to OoT, and 3: The "if it works, then don't fix it" mentality. Because of this lack of freedom, the developers can't nessecarely take out their full potential, and the games will end up having less consistent attitudes.

Twilight Princess suffered severially from more or less all three of the points from the previous pharagraph. As a result, the process broke completely down about halfway through development, and this left enormous scars in the game's attitude toward the player, which damages the overall gaming experiencence. Miyamoto managed to patch things up enough to make it an acceptable Zelda game, but despite this; the attitude is not on par compared to earlier games in the series.

---

One last note is the timing. No Zelda-related game had been released in about half a decade before Ocarina of Time, which meant that there was an enormous demand for a new Zelda game. They also delayed the game by a year after the hype began (as of my understanding; I may be incorrect on this one). Nowdays you have more smaller Zelda games released on the hanhelds and some spinoffs on console, so the demand (and hype) just doesn't build up as much anymore.

Last edited:
Twilight Princess suffered from more or less all three of the points from the previous pharagraph. As a result, the process broke completely down about halfway during development, and this left enormous scars in the game's attitude toward the player, which damaged the overall gaming experiencence. Miyamoto managed to patch things up enough to make it an acceptable Zelda game, but despite this; the attitude is not on par compared to earlier games in the series.
Totally agree with you on everything! Twilight Princess had a great beginning that really lead us to believe it would follow suit with an amazing middle and end, but if you ask me i completely see what you mean by the process breaking down since I don't think the ending of TP was as dramatic or meaningful as the beginning. A perfect Zelda game such as AlttP and OoT needs to be consistent and follow through on spectacular events, with more spectacular events to match xD

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Considering that many other Zelda games are better than OoT, I don't see why SS can't surpass it.

The only thing stopping people from worshiping other Zelda games is extreme over nostalgia...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
OoT wasn't as innovative as alttp! it brought zelda into 3d which is great but that's it, it get's way too much credit for being the revolutionary zelda game. and i think ss will be better, OoT's my least favorite of the 3d games
Yes it was revolutionary, and it had far more impact than ALTTP on most games since. The z targeting system had never been seen before and variations are used in games today such as assassins creed. OOT also introduced the multifunctional action button, a button that could be pressed and its function changed with context, for example opening a door or performing a forward roll. Ocarina of time was also revolutionary in the graphical department, and when it came out it had the best graphics in a video game anyone had ever seen. AND yes it brought zelda into 3d.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom