• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wind Waker Advise

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
So, I beat Wind Waker when it first came out (whenever that was). Unfortunately, there's an issue. I used a guide, which is perfectly fine by the way, it's way I went about it. I never took the time to appreciate the game, so I'm playing again. By now I've forgotten all the puzzles and most of the stuff about the game except the story and that it takes place on water. So I'm essentially brand new to the game again, and I'm looking for some advise as to how I should go about playing, or maybe some tips as to what to avoid, etc. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks! :):D

Beeker

Wild Card
I've beaten wind waker once or twice, so I couldn't give you advice for EVERYTHING, but I'll try:):

1. For getting around, try to fill out the whole map. It helps you get around and you get to explore.And it DEFINITELY helps in the later part of the game. Also, make sure you learn the Ballad of Gales.

2. For dungeons, try to look around it and backtrack if you need to. I've gotten stuck just because I forgot something.:facepalm:.
Try to use a guide only if you're really stuck on one part. I think it's fun playing through without a guide because you get to figure out puzzles yourself, and sometimes you're like"so that's how it goes!" after you beat it(been in that predicament before)

So good luck!:D

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Let's see...

#1. Sailing

When sailing, there's the normal way to get around by going in the exact direction of the wind, but there's other ways of getting around.

When traveling short distances (like to get to a Fishman [who will fill out your map] or back to the island in the square after you've gotten the fishman) instead of playing the Wind's Requiem (changes the direction of the wind) you can zig zag against the wind to get to it. For instance, if the wind's blowing north at the time, you can zig zag between east and west until you're at the island. I don't recommend it for long distances though.

And then there's my final tip for sailing. Firstly, sail with the wind directly behind you and keep pressing toggling like mad between having the sail up and not having the sail up (so as an example, based off my preference for having the sail on Y, it would be Y,A,Y,A,Y,A,Y,A,Y,A,Y,A,Y,A and so on). It may not seem like much, but it'll probably help you with keeping your mind off the whole thing that the boat moves slow and also keep you at top speed, letting you reach your destination faster.

#2. Dungeons

In dungeons, always make sure to open up the Warp Pots. They're very useful since in every dungeon, there's a Treasure Chest with a Treasure Chart that is near the beginning of the dungeon so that's good for 100% completion.

Always look around and try every item you have on something you think is suspicious. See a cloud of gas and no progression in either of the rooms to the side? Try everything, from your Deku Leaf to Medli herself (it'll make sense once you get to the fifth dungeon).

#3. Try Everything

Try everything that's available to you. From the Battleship Mini Game on Windfall to the Bird Man contest east of Dragon Roost, try out every mini game you can find. You never know what you might get, be it a Piece of Heart, a Treasure Chart, or Rupees.

#4. Get the Upgrades as Soon as possible

Okay, so the Wallet upgrades in WW are extremely important. Not getting them early enough can mean monotonous rupee grinding and that's no fun. So, get the Wallet Upgrades as soon as possible. I won't tell you exactly where they are, but a certain Chart can. Simply rescue Tingle from his prison on Windfall (simply go in the door closest to the guy dancing at the tombstone [pizza]) and he'll give you a chart that tells you exactly what island the Wallet Upgrades are located on. Good luck with the second one.

Which brings me to my next tip...

#5. Never Pass Up a Rupee

Simple as that. Never pass up a rupee. A single green rupee may not seem like you're missing much, but they are very important. If it's in a pit of death, don't worry about it but don't scoff at the chump change either. Simply pick up as many dropped rupees as possible and a certain part of the game will become much easier.

#6. Explore Everywhere

This goes double for the overworld, where there's tons of stuff to find. There are Treasure Charts, Ammo Upgrades, Hidden Rupees, Heart Pieces, Charts, etc. etc. So, make sure to explore every square thouroughly. See a hole? Go down it. A bunch of cannons and bomb ships? Shoot them all down. Hookshot target? Hookshot to it. Bunch of switches? Hit them all. A submarine? Enter it. And so on and so forth. Also, a bit of advice for the platforms (you'll know one when you see one, they're extremely hard to miss). On most of them are cannons. You can shoot them from your ship, but placing bombs above them on the platforms can destroy them too.

And that's it for my advice. Remember those six tips and you'll be on your way to beating it 100% in no time.

F

FierceDeityLink

Here is a good tip:

Talk to People:
If you are stuck talk to the people around you. I mean EVERYONE. Especially the King of Red Lions and all of the Sages you meet. Talk to the locals. EVERYONE.
Trust me it helps.

B

Bandersnatch

Theres so much stuff in Wind Waker.. Ive beaten it 4 times since it came out, and I just learned that everytime I've skipped an item called Heroes Charm. My friend showed me on his file and made me feel like a NOOB!! Just have fun and make the Great Sea your new home and there will be no worries!

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
1. Have all the islands written on your Sea Map
If you don't do this, I can tell you that you will have a much more difficult time finding your way along the islands.
2. Shoot the Purple Frog (The frog you meet once you get the Wind's Requiem) with arrows
You really should shoot the frog that's in the tornado. If you do this, you can have a special Baton song to help you travel by tornado from the islands you will visit most often in the game.
3. Check the mailbox as often as you can.
By checking the mailbox, you can find letters from your friends that you make along the way. Sometimes, they will give you Rupees or other gifts that will come in handy at other times.
4. Get the camera on Windfall Island from the little maze in the prison where Tingle is!
You will get a camera that you can keep throughout the game, and if you solve the puzzles that the camera shop man gives you, you will get a special gift.
5. Collect as many Goodies (like the butterfly necklace) as you can.
There are a lot of people throughout the game that will ask you for goodies that you will find in treasure chests or those orbs from mini-bosses. If you collect as many as the other people ask, you can get a special gift, ranging from rupees to pieces of heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom