• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Will Hyrule Warriors Be Put on the Timeline?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well besides the he obvious confirmation now, this game was never going to be a apart of the Zelda canon anyway.

The game is as much a Dynasty Warriors game as a Zelda game. The whole point is that the game is meant to be a celebration and collaboration of two well known franchises that slightly deviate away from the norm and try something new. It would severely limit the game if it was to stick to the lore, we'd only have a limited character roster and enemies. They made the right choice in my opinion.

They don't need to add a new game to the timeline to make contradictions. There are already contradictions.
This is a wasted opportunity. They could have had all those characters from different timelines come through the spacetime portals and have them home again for tea by the end of the game.

Um. Yeeeah... You know, I'm a big fan of yours. You and I joined around the same time and all, but no. Just no. I hate to leave it at just that, but almost everyone here seems to have summarized everything I wanted to say. But there's also this (something I posted before I stumbled upon this thread):

A game being supervised by an official of the main series does not necessarily validate its canonicity. There are many important things aside from plot relevance (to the 'timeline') that may require supervision, such as basic, self-contained plot elements (i.e., how Link goes about saving Zelda), general geographical standpoints (i.e., "this place is called Death Mountain; this place is called Lake Hylia"), and authorization of which characters should be included (Hey, Midna...), among other things.

While it irks me to say this, this game can be seen as fanservice, and it—in the Dynasty Warriors franchise alone—is by no means the first of its kind. Believe it or not, there's even a One Piece: Pirate Warriors game—two of them, both of which were overseen by their main series' creator, Eiichiro Oda. And then there's this. Oh, and let's not forget Soul Calibur II, in which Link appears as a special guest character, with a background story. All of the aforementioned games have been confirmed as non-canon to their respective main series. If that is not enough, [ilquote=ign.com]Nintendo President Satoru Iwata stressed during the December 18 Nintendo direct that this game "is not the next installment of Nintendo's core The Legend of Zelda series." [/ilquote]Then again, however, there appears to be no surefire way to ascertain the game's canonicity at this point, unless Aonuma-san comes right on out and confirms it.

...for good measure.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Aonuma said that HW is ONLY not part of the main canon but that doesn't mean the game isn't essentially canon at all. Aonuma even compared this situation with HW with The Avengers. So Aonuma explained that in a way that (to me at least) suggests that HW is canon just not main canon or part of the main timeline as he explained that the game exists in it's own dimension/universe where it has it's own Hyrule, Triforce, Link, Zelda, etc as we've seen thus far and not only that but that the game connects to all the different parts of the main timelines/universes that we know of from the main games like SS's era, OoT's era, TP's era, and all that good stuff. I personally think of HW as another SSB type game or like FF: Dissidia. So HW is canon in a way in my book but just those canon aspects mostly comes from the main universe(s) of Zelda interacting with another universe. Anyways, that's my theory.

VitaTempusN92

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be in the zelda timeline. I read this online: "The game will not be part of the: The Legend of Zelda series"

Only the mainline canon of the Zelda series HW will not be a part of. HW is a collaboration spinoff of Zelda like Final Fantasy Dissidia was to Final Fantasy and like SSB was to most Nintendo games including Zelda. HW, confirmed by Aonuma exists in it's own universe that does connect to many parts of main timeline which is real reason why as Aonuma explained that he doesn't want to force HW into a timeline it can't simply fit in cause the was already made and designed to exist in another universe parallel to the main one we know of. So think as a sideline canon game, or an alternate universe spinoff series connected to the Zelda series.

"[E]xisting in its own universe" essentially means that it's non-canon. I'm sorry, but no amount of fancy wording is ever going to change that fact. Dynasty Warriors—be it a One Piece, The Legend of Zelda, or Gundam crossover—will never be canon to the franchises with which it has collaborated, not even slightly, or "sort of" or "mainline" or whatever. Hyrule Warriors is just nice little treat for the fans; we need to stop treating it like a main course and enjoy it. Every single game needn't fit in the timeline. ~

Alas.... Why do I have a feeling that people are going to be trying to shove this game into the timeline until the next Hyrule Historia comes out 25 years from now and straight-out bursts everyone's bubble? I'm also rather interested in seeing how many people are going to flat-out reject this game's canonicity if it turns out to royally suck. Sigh.

Fig

The Altruist
With the confirmation from Mr. Aonuma himself, Hyrule Warriors will not be part of the official Zelda timeline and for good reason. See when I view Hyrule Warriors in the trailers, screenshot pictures, and gameplay throughout E3, Hyrule Warriors is both a Zelda and Dynasty Warriors game equally at least gameplay wise. We have the gameplay of Dynasty Warriors yet we have elements in the game that clearly are from Zelda such as the area, characters, items, opening chests, etc. Lore and story-wise on the other, Hyrule Warriors doesn't fit with the lore entirely. With so many appearances and cameos in this collaboration of Zelda games, there would be loop holes throughout this entire game. I mean we have seen things in the game that come from Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and Majora's Mask just to name a few games that have a reference within the game and people still want to believe Hyrule Warriors is canon? Well it wouldn't hurt to try, but I think Hyrule Warriors is a side story for the Zelda and could potentially be placed anywhere if you force yourself to do so, but not part of the official timeline.

VitaTempusN92

"[E]xisting in its own universe" essentially means that it's non-canon. I'm sorry, but no amount of fancy wording is ever going to change that fact. Dynasty Warriors—be it a One Piece, The Legend of Zelda, or Gundam crossover—will never be canon to the franchises with which it has collaborated, not even slightly, or "sort of" or "mainline" or whatever. Hyrule Warriors is just nice little treat for the fans; we need to stop treating it like a main course and enjoy it. Every single game needn't fit in the timeline. ~

Alas.... Why do I have a feeling that people are going to be trying to shove this game into the timeline until the next Hyrule Historia comes out 25 years from now and straight-out bursts everyone's bubble? I'm also rather interested in seeing how many people are going to flat-out reject this game's canonicity if it turns out to royally suck. Sigh.

Yes but ONLY to main series/timeline it's not canon. I think of own HW's own timeline as like a spinoff timeline to the main one, a spinoff timeline that, as confirmed by Aonuma does connect to many parts of main timeline but actually isn't a part of the main timeline. The fact that HW's seperate timeline connects and interacts with the main timeline makes it canon from certain perspectives. I like think of it as outside canon interaction, or side canon. I'm mean the game even has it's own story and everything. Just because a game takes place in alternate universe, you people just instantly toss it aside like it's trash claiming it's a nice treat but that's obviously NOT how you really feel about the game considering you decide to treat the game such way like it doesn't count. Just like how Nintendo treated the Metroid Prime series, making those games not canon at all, you people are treating HW the same way, ALL because the games takes place in alternate universes parallel to their mainline counterparts. I feel it's unfair for such great games to be treated such way. See I'm actually fair enough to treat such with respect and treat them like they count for something, this proves that I'm a true faithful fan when it comes to such great franchises. I consider myself a chance giver (at least now days especially). Just because a game takes place in alternate universe, doesn't mean it doesn't have any canon part at all.

Edit:

With the confirmation from Mr. Aonuma himself, Hyrule Warriors will not be part of the official Zelda timeline and for good reason. See when I view Hyrule Warriors in the trailers, screenshot pictures, and gameplay throughout E3, Hyrule Warriors is both a Zelda and Dynasty Warriors game equally at least gameplay wise. We have the gameplay of Dynasty Warriors yet we have elements in the game that clearly are from Zelda such as the area, characters, items, opening chests, etc. Lore and story-wise on the other, Hyrule Warriors doesn't fit with the lore entirely. With so many appearances and cameos in this collaboration of Zelda games, there would be loop holes throughout this entire game. I mean we have seen things in the game that come from Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and Majora's Mask just to name a few games that have a reference within the game and people still want to believe Hyrule Warriors is canon? Well it wouldn't hurt to try, but I think Hyrule Warriors is a side story for the Zelda and could potentially be placed anywhere if you force yourself to do so, but not part of the official timeline.

Why do you people still continue to misunderstand Aonuma, he said the game takes place in another dimension/universe that seems to interact with parts of the main timeline that therefore the game is not main canon, he wasn't saying that it's not canon at all just that it's not main canon. I consider the game outer/outside canon or side canon.

Last edited:

Fig

The Altruist
Why do you people still continue to misunderstand Aonuma, he said the game takes place in another dimension/universe that seems to interact with parts of the main timeline that therefore the game is not main canon, he wasn't saying that it's not canon at all just that it's not main canon. I consider the game outer/outside canon or side canon.

Hence why I stated it's a game that more likely a side story of some sorts because it still has many elements that makes it a Zelda game. It's also why Mr. Aonuma stated that anyone can potentially place Hyrule Warriors in the timeline in any section of the timeline if you force yourself to do so since there's all these loop holes in Hyrule Warriors that its placement to be in the timeline is difficult to pinpoint.

VitaTempusN92

Hence why I stated it's a game that more likely a side story of some sorts because it still has many elements that makes it a Zelda game. It's also why Mr. Aonuma stated that anyone can potentially place Hyrule Warriors in the timeline in any section of the timeline if you force yourself to do so since there's all these loop holes in Hyrule Warriors that its placement to be in the timeline is difficult to pinpoint.

I think the wise thing to do is wait until HW is released, play it and see for ourselves, then speculate. I find that it's better and more wise than arguing or "debating" over it. I think we should just wait and see for ourselves.

Look at the master timeline as if it's one massive story. Don't look at each game as a separate entity. Just conglomerate them all and look at it as a long journey through time and space—from Skyward Sword to farthest tales at the end of each branch of the timeline. Now, infer to what was said about Hyrule Warriors' status in the series. 'It existing in it's own universe' doesn't make it canon; though I'm sure there's another word for that. You see, when a story (er, game) is seen as non-canonical, this means that its existence has no effect on anything in the real timeline. It is not a part of the series' main timeline. As far as the Zelda series is concerned, the plot of HW just may as well have not existed. Using wording like "it's not a mainline game" or "it's half-canon" or whatever changes nothing.

Now, this isn't a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with being non-canon. In fact, I think this is a great thing. As justac00lguy touched upon, they made the right choice in doing this, otherwise it would have been severely limiting to the lore (etc.). And I thoroughly enjoyed playing as Link in Soul Calibur II; easily the most fun I've had with any character in that series. So it isn't a matter of 'chance giving' or anything. I mean, what are we giving it a chance at? If it's a great game, then it's a great game. Though I am still interested in seeing how 'timeline placement gurus' are going to react in the (hypothetical) event that this game turns out to suck. There's a rule that everyone should know, and it's called "no takebacksies." lol

VitaTempusN92

Well at this point, I'm not going to get Hyrule Warriors. I might not get SSB4 either. I am probably not going to buy Zelda Wii U whenever that comes out as well, especially since due the teaser we see that game will probably end up being some stupid reboot that's not the Zelda I know and love anyways. Personally, I don't care anymore. I don't anything that's not or "considered" not canon to a franchise or to anything, neither do I a reboot of series that's "too" different than the original. Point is, when it comes to story-based games, people like me want something that is "canon" or at least as a part of the franchise like an alternate universe of some sort. I have lost interest and anticipation mostly in Hyrule Warriors and Zelda Wii U for those reasons.

Well at this point, I'm not going to get Hyrule Warriors. I might not get SSB4 either. I am probably not going to buy Zelda Wii U whenever that comes out as well, especially since due the teaser we see that game will probably end up being some stupid reboot that's not the Zelda I know and love anyways. Personally, I don't care anymore. I don't anything that's not or "considered" not canon to a franchise or to anything, neither do I a reboot of series that's "too" different than the original. Point is, when it comes to story-based games, people like me want something that is "canon" or at least as a part of the franchise like an alternate universe of some sort. I have lost interest and anticipation mostly in Hyrule Warriors and Zelda Wii U for those reasons.

There's nothing that suggests that Zelda WiiU is a reboot. Nothing at all. Regarding to Hyrule Warriors: saying that you're not into anything that isn't canon or takes place in the Zelda universe is the same thing as saying you dislike anything that isn't Zelda. And that really sucks, because there are many great games aside from Zelda out there. You're really limiting yourself. Just to give you a shoulder to lean on, though... Keep in mind that HW is still a "Zelda game," though it's also Dynasty Warriors-esque game. This doesn't make it any better or worse than any of the canon Zeldas. It not being a part of the canon doesn't devalue its worth. It's kind of sad that you've developed such a bitter mentality.

Well, it may take a while, but if I ever I get my hands on HW, I'll be sure to fill you in on my experience with it, regardless of whether I enjoyed it or not. Though I doubt I won't enjoy it, since Ganondorf was hinted at~~

VitaTempusN92

There's nothing that suggests that Zelda WiiU is a reboot. Nothing at all. Regarding to Hyrule Warriors: saying that you're not into anything that isn't canon or takes place in the Zelda universe is the same thing as saying you dislike anything that isn't Zelda. And that really sucks, because there are many great games aside from Zelda out there. You're really limiting yourself. Just to give you a shoulder to lean on, though... Keep in mind that HW is still a "Zelda game," though it's also Dynasty Warriors-esque game. This doesn't make it any better or worse than any of the canon Zeldas. It not being a part of the canon doesn't devalue its worth. It's kind of sad that you've developed such a bitter mentality.

Well, it may take a while, but if I ever I get my hands on HW, I'll be sure to fill you in on my experience with it, regardless of whether I enjoyed it or not. Though I doubt I won't enjoy it, since Ganondorf was hinted at~~

I didn't directly say I didn't like games that aren't Zelda, I do like other franchises other than Zelda like Final Fantasy and Metroid for some examples, I was simply just talking about how in general with any franchise, this canon and non-canon thing is just getting mishandled lately for like over four/five years now like missed opportunities. Also, the reason why I consider Zelda Wii U a reboot is:

1) Aonuma's words about "rethinking the conventions" and that this new Zelda will be like a new fresh start kind of Zelda game

2) Link looks totally different this time around.

Reasons why such a reboot will not be a success:

1) The game looks more like what I've dubbed "Ganon's Dogma" than Zelda. Now I actually love Dragon's Dogma so I have no problem with the idea of Nintendo taking inspiration from DD, however, that's ONLY if don't make a Zelda TOO much like DD in from what I've seen and heard so far, Zelda Wii U feels like a game that's trying to be TOO much like DD.

2) Aonuma confirmed the possibility of having Link customizable and possibly able to choose to have Link be a male or female or choose between Link or Zelda as like a way of choosing between male or female according to these two articles on Zelda Informer:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/eiji-aonuma-is-paying-attention-to-our-reaction-to-zelda-u-notes-the-female#.U5zLAygXGPE

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/eiji-aonuma-talks-about-zelda-being-a-protagonist-more-about-zelda-u-and-th#.U5zLGCgXGPE

Again, this tells me that this game definitely qualifies the title of "Ganon's Dogma" or maybe "The Sage Legends I: Hyrule I: Ganon's Dogma" (Whoa :O, that is a looong title!).

Anyways, that's all I have to say right now. I'm tired :tired:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom