• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U Nintendo Network Will Be Free! Take That Xbox Live!

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Yup, it's official. I've been waiting for the news for a very long time. I'll just direct you one of the many sites posting up on the news...

Wii U online services will be free for users | Wii U News | GameZone

The Wii U's online service will be free of charge for users, Nintendo confirmed at a recent shareholders meeting. Unlike Xbox LIVE for the Xbox 360, which charges its users a monthly fee to access certain features like online play or even some entertainment apps, gamers will have unlimited access to all of the Wii U's online features.

Speaking at the investors meeting, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said he had no issue with subscription-based online services, but acknowledged that it would not be the best option for Wii U.

According to Iwata, the free online services of the Wii U will directly result in better hardware and software sales for the upcoming console in the long run.

I think this is a smart move for Nintendo who is finally branching into the world of online gaming. I think for a company attempting to build an online presence, after lagging behind for so long, it's important to establish a system with low a low barrier-to-entry. By offering their online services for free, it should help more gamers flock to the console and use the new online features which Nintendo has spent a lot of time focusing on.

At E3, Nintendo placed heavy emphasis on Miiverse, Nintendo's attempt at revolutionizing the social networking aspect of gaming. Miiverse, which will be available on the Wii U at first, will serve as a gathering place for all Wii U players. When booting up the system, you will see your Mii, your friends' Miis, Miis on your Wii U system, and Miis on the Wii U that are from your country or speak your language that are playing the same games as you.

Miiverse will offer general chat in the form of speech bubbles that allow for text chat or handwritten notes along with facial expressions and images. You will also be able to share screenshots from your own gameplay experience and transmit content from gameplay you created yourself. In addition, Miiverse will offer a way for gamers to seek help from others playing the same game. If you are stuck on a certain level, you can ask the gaming community for help. Players can work together to find a solution and can respond in either text or video through the Wii U GamePad's webcam feature. This service, while launching on the Wii U, will eventually be accessible from mobile devices like the 3DS, your cell phone, and even PC.

Nintendo is taking the jump into online gaming seriously, recently hiring former Disney Interactive veteran Duncan Orrell-Jones to fill the newly created position of SVP of network business. Orrell-Jones will be tasked with overseeing the development and evolution of Nintendo's digital strategies, particularly with the new Nintendo Network. This new service will offer competitions and communication among users, as well as the sales of digital content.

Will Nintendo's subscription-free approach to Wii U's online services be the right approach? It hasn't hurt Microsoft or the Xbox 360 to charge customers for online. Sony, meanwhile, offers users the choice. They can still play games for free online with the PS3, but they can choose to become a PlayStation Plus member and pay to get extra content and early access to certain features. I could see Nintendo taking a similar approach with their online services. Iwata did suggest the possibility of introducing subscription plans in the future - likely in the same way Sony does it.

Whatever the case, this is a smart initial move for Nintendo. Get people to start using the online features first. All that remains a mystery now is how much the darn thing will cost. Nintendo still hasn't announced an official release date or a price for the Wii U, but today we learned that an announcement could happen in the fall.

This is wonderful news. I hate having to pay for Xbox Live annually. And (rightfully so), I've heard countless people say the words, "I have a PS3 and not a 360 because the PSN is free..." Well now, they don't have any reason to shy away from the Wii U. This is a great decision Iwata!

What's your opinion? And if anyone says they wish we did have to pay, they will be cut down............ Enjoy!

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What does it mean that the Wii U's online capabilities will be free? Will Nintendo give us dedicated servers? M$ charges XBL users primarily because they're greedy ***holes, but also because M$ has dedicated servers meaning less lag. I hate paying for XBL and never will (unless it's one of those 2 months for $2 dealios), but at least 1/10th of the price of a one year card (meaning, $6 for a year) is justified by the dedicated servers.

I'm glad that Nintendo is letting us play online for free as that's how I used to play my N64 games -- buy the game and enjoy ALL of its features WITHOUT having to pay -- but I really want to know how the online will work anyway. I don't care for Miiverse atm, just wanna know how servers will work and how the friend code system will work/be revamped.

Dan

Haha when I first heard the title I thought this was going to be some rather immature 12 year old, ranting about how he hates Microsoft. Pleasant surprise. Yes it is good news that the online services are free... let's hope there are more than 3 online games this time :)

I'm excited for this. But like Vanitas said we still do not know how the online features will operate or how well it will function. However, no matter if its good or bad, you can't complain about a free service. Something is better than nothing so I'm glad Nintendo decided to take this route.

Dan

I'm excited for this. But like Vanitas said we still do not know how the online features will operate or how well it will function. However, no matter if its good or bad, you can't complain about a free service. Something is better than nothing so I'm glad Nintendo decided to take this route.

Agreed, I really just want an account name. No friend code nonsense. It would be great if Nintendo took a page out of sonys book. I want our games that we purchase on the virtual console and eshop to be bind to our account. So that we may play them on future consoles. It would also be nice to be able to play older titles on our accounts on both the handheld and the console. We shall have to wait for the news. online aspects have always been nintendos weakest points in my opinion.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I apologize if it looked like I was complaining about Nintendo's service. I was just wondering how it'd be -- Wii U looks like it is more abuot single player action (like the PS3 and 360 before it) so maybe online multiplayer is finally becoming a staple. I just don't wanna be forced to pay for good servers, haha.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
nintendo's becoming better and better! I can't wait! Now I have further evidence to convince my parents to pay the extra 50-100 dollars so I can buy it myself.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I too am glad that Nintendo is being like its older bro Sony. They used to be buddies then they split where Sony made the PS1 and stuffs. Sadface. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo can buddy up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom