• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I LOVE the OoT 3DS! I bought it two days ago and yesterday my 3DS arrived and I have been playing it nonstop. The game looks so much better now with these graphics. The story is still the same, the music is still the same and I think a whole new generation will enjoy this game. Nowadays people are spoiled with new graphics etc. I think many people will like OoT but think the graphics are lacking considering these new techniques etc. So I definitely think the game will get the attention it deserves. I already know 5 people here who never got themselves into OoT and now they play it nonstop on the 3DS

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Believe it or not, OoT3D actually got me into the series. Now I play LA, Alttp, TP and have finished OoT3D and WW. Almost finished MQ. And nintendo kept the graphics a bit new and a bit old for nostalgia :D And trust me, with people spoilt with graphics, they will want a Wii U :P

Maby some ports, but deffinatly not remakes . There is no real reson for the remake is there ?... A lagit reason . Not just for graphics , i mean

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
One thing I have to ask is, why does it bother you so much?

Believe it or not, some people have not had the chance to play the originals and, going a step further, they likely never will. N64 games can be hard to come by and, if your console gives out, you might have a hard time replacing it.
As for the wii? Well, i'm sure i'm not the only one in the world who has an extremely limited time to play on a home console. I personally think it's a waste of my money, and let me tell i've had a nightmare of a time trying to get wii points in the past, to buy a game that may never be played.

A remake on a portable console can allow for a large audience to access it along with fixing glitches which might have appeared in the original. The graphics are simply to upgrade the experience for a higher powered device.

That said, if you dislike the concept of remakes, you're not being forced to buy and play them.

Maby some ports, but deffinatly not remakes . There is no real reson for the remake is there ?... A lagit reason . Not just for graphics , i mean

I can't speak for OoT3D since not only has it already been made, but this issue doesn't apply to it, but when it comes to MM, there's a reason. There have been two ports so far - one on the Collector's Edition disc for GameCube, and one on the Wii Virtual Console. Both have sound glitches and one is known to have a tendency to crash, and with the game's save system, having the game crash on you can be a real test of one's anger management skills. (This actually happened to me once. I beat Snowhead Temple, it shows the cutscene where everything thaws out... but then I guess the game absorbed all the cold into itself because it froze before I regained control. Had to beat the entire temple over again.) Remaking the game specifically for the new hardware would give developers the chance to eliminate the glitches and crashes, providing silky smooth gameplay.

Not to mention they could adapt the game specifically to the new hardware's controls instead of trying to force them to match those of the old system.

I'll admit adapting the controls would just provide a smoother gameplay experience, but if providing a glitch- and crash-free way to play the game on new hardware isn't a legit reason for remaking it, I don't know what is.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I love the Legend of Zelda franchise and everything within it (except Twilight Princess),
why do you not like twilight princess!?

also although I would have preferred a full wii U remake of ocarina of time I think that it was a good idea to get sales for the 3ds.

There are only three games I could accept remakes of after OoT, those being MM (Increase sales, new audience), LoZ (Update Graphics and Storytelling, Design newer, varied bosses; Gleeok 3x??) and AoL (Again, update Graphics and Storytelling, but also give a spin on the sidescrolling action)
I agree with all of that, except LoZ because to few people's knowledge, It already was remade on the BSX. However it is impossible to play them now, because they were broadcast, but on an emulator it is possible. Then again, maybe It would be a good idea.

To the thread starter, really, calm down. OoT3D didn't ruin anything about the original OoT. It would be bad if it took away all the things that made OoT good, but they didn't, they only expanded on it. It takes little effort to make a remake, even if Nintendo made it themselves.

Majoras mask needs a remake the collectores edition keeps crashing(dont know about the vc).
But i am also happy if they released in the e-shop with the crash glitch removed..

Honestly, I'm sick of all the attention that OoT3DS has been getting, and I'm also sick and tired of all this Operation Moonfall crap, It's really getting on my nerves! The original games are good for what they are, we don't need some crappy remake that serves little to no purpose what-so-ever.

I love the Legend of Zelda franchise and everything within it (except Twilight Princess), I love and cherish all of the games, and want it to never change. OoT3DS kinda wrecked that for me, because all I really want from Nintendo is to produce the same quality of work with rising amounts of effort in each new Zelda title, not remake something that we already know and love. I like to say "Don't fix something that isn't broken", and this metaphor applies quite nicely here, because OoT was perfect. 10/10 in my eyes, why fix it, WHY!!!!

I seriously think, and worry, that Nintendo are running out of ideas. I am aware that it was to test the 3DS's new hardware, and to show us the graphical improvements they can do, but still, OoT was fine, up yours Nintendo! *raises middle finger in a harmful manor* -.-

I may be grumpy over something that had good intentions, sure. But I just wish that Nintendo would stop getting so damn distracted and work on NEW titles, not remakes, ffs >_>
Wow, you really have some issues. First of all, you hate TP? What, you have a deep seeded hatred for perfection or something?

And OoT is in NO way a perfect game. It's a great game, that's for sure; but perfection it is not. This isn't "Portal" we're talking about, OoT is filled with useless crap it could do without and junk that looks half finished. Did you even SEE the last dungeon? It's an embarrassment to the series.

The reason for the perfect score is a technical one. It pushed the N64 to it's absolute limit. That impressed people, thus they gave it some bonus points. Everyone except, it seems, the folks at Nintendo Power (they gave it a proper 9.5). Also, why did OoT3D get closer to NP's rating than constant perfect scores? The reviewers remembered what to expect and saw that OoT wasn't quite that good. It was still a top notch game, but not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

Note: not saying that TP is perfect, just making a bit of a joke. I can't see how someone can think OoT is perfect, when TP is better in many ways.

Ocarina of Time was phenomenal for it's time; Twilight Princess copied everything, added a dab of darkness, some fan service, and Midna. To be honest, TP didn't really improve on anything Ocarina of Time started, but that is irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

Also, the OP stated that it was 10/10 in HIS eyes.
Wow, what complete bias. You realize that OoT is an absolute clone of LttP, right? That's all I was thinking as I played it, so I fail to see why copying the good elements of a good game is bad for TP.

TP had a bigger over-world, more extensive dungeons, and a far better final dungeon. Those elements are an improvement of OoT. Thus, my point still stands.

So what if he sees it as perfect? I showed how that is incorrect. Most of the side quests are completely pointless, the final dungeon is the most pathetic dungeon in the entire series (that I've seen), and that fairy won't SHUT UP! Perfection means to be without flaw. OoT+flaws=/=perfection

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I for one, happen to like the idea of OoT/MM3D. Both of those are awesome ideas, and generally speaking, if you don't like the remakes, stick to the original. Besides, OoT3D is still to its core, Ocarina of Time. Just with a facelift and a couple of added elements such as redone physics so as to be more 'immersive' to the player, or a GUI overhaul to make accessibility easier on the player's part. There are things I don't like about OoT3D, but they are the tiniest of things (i.e graphics and water temple changes, both of those are really, REALLY small things that quite frankly are overlooked by the mass). No, remakes don't steal the magic of the original game, as it stands OoT original has gotten perfect scores nearly all around while OoT3D has been getting 9s to 9.7s/10s, clearly aren't perfect. And then there is the reasoning that OoT original came first, which means all the praise that OoT3D gets would technically already be transferred to the original game, at least in spirit. Eh, I'm rambling at this point.

TL;DR OoT3D is OoT to the core, just with a facelift. It isn't like we removed Link and Ganondorf, y'know?

Forlong, OoT cloned a hell lot of ALttP's mechanics and story, I'm pretty sure Mases or Axle did a review about that a few years ago. But, there is the fact that Ocarina didn't rip the Dark World or many of the dungeon layouts from Past. Meh, if you don't like OoT, don't play or talk about it. TP, on the other hand, copied OoT (and to an extent, ALttP) but did so horribly – the dungeons are way too easy to the general player and the overworld while big, is so like...blank, as in deforested or something. There's hardly anything to do. Yes, Hyrule Field [TP] will give you a grander sense of 'adventure', but once you realise that the cake is dominant and there is hardly any icing, you start to recall that TP wasn't really that great of a Zelda and many of its ideas were poorly executed. Your opinion isn't my opinion, and clearly that won't change.

Last edited:

WhiteRundas

Ice Hunter
^ TP isn't better than OoT. A bigger overworld doesn't mean that it is a better overworld.This would mean that WWs overworld is the best. TPs overworld may be bigger but it doesn't have many secrets. The dungeons are easier than OoTs and actually as extensive as OoTs. TPs final dungeon is pathetic compared to OoTs or WWs. You beat King Bulblin and some Darknuts and it is finished.
Back to the topic: I also didn't like Oot3DS.But only because it was so hyped. I really enjoyed Oot and it is a great game but OoT3DS is only a remake.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Gamers from this day and age haven't played too many games pre-Halo: Combat Evolved because of a) graphics, b) no online multiplayer, and c) graphics. Yes, I said graphics twice because most gamers from the now are so idiotic. Online Multiplayer and looks come before gameplay and the actual story to them. Now, this may have been Nintendo's effort to reel in some younger gamers by recreating the epic that was OoT with better graphics, so as to get rid of points A and C. I'm not a big fan of remakes (except for the possibilities of Final Fantasy VII for PS3 and A Link to the Past in 3D), so I never really cared about OM. Majora's Mask is great on its own, and why oh why do we need another one, like you said.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Gamers from this day and age haven't played too many games pre-Halo: Combat Evolved because of a) graphics, b) no online multiplayer, and c) graphics. Yes, I said graphics twice because most gamers from the now are so idiotic. Online Multiplayer and looks come before gameplay and the actual story to them.

No, they aren't idiotic at all. Saying that is what causes enmity between people of all sorts, particularly why people really freaking hate Zelda among other game series. They're simply attracted to a specific type of game. Just like you care more about story and gameplay, they simply care more for online multiplayer and graphics. Again, that is your opinion and theirs.

Besides, Nintendo could learn some interesting facts about the Internet demographic by implementing some sort of massively multiplayer Zelda/Mario concept. Which in turn could potentially lead to more fans of any of their series. The time for crappy graphics and friend codes is over, what the average gamer wants is great graphics and secure Internet play. You have every right to disagree with that, but in no way should you or need to call them idiots or dumb; it is their choice.

Last edited:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Firstly, I think this is slightly angrier than required.

Secondly, I believe there are many reasons why Ocarina of Time was re-made for the 3DS. It was Zelda's 25th Anniversary, what better way to celebrate that by re-making what is considered the best Zelda game and improving it (in some ways) for the brand new 3DS? I think the 3DS also doesn't have a lot of games out for it anyway so I know for a fact Ocarina of Time 3D was a great breaktrough and a lot of people bought it.

They've only re-made this one game for the 3DS, it's not like Nintendo are going to go through the entire series and re-make every game for 3D. I understand some games are being brought back in various ways such as E-shop etc, but that isn't a re-make in the same way. Like I said, OoT is considered the best Zelda game ever, so that's probably why they chose to re-make this game; so gamers of its generation and the new generation could experience it in brand new 3D.

They also fixed quite a few minor things which a lot of people were pleased by. The graphics were improved, plus with the 3D the graphics are inhanced even further. Many people were happy with Link's slightly altered appearance because it was a small change that made a sufficent difference. The visions were also a new feature and this makes it easier for younger gamers to play the game, so what's bad about that? It's maximizing Zelda's audience. And if that weren't enough, they included Master Quest again as well.

I am not a fan of re-makes but I feel that this one was the right choice. It is very popular and many people bought it. Even when people may not agree with them, Nintendo do think about their target market - us gamers. So they do make games with us in mind.

Now about Operation Moonfall. (Just to clarify, I am against it.) I don't seriously think Nintendo will really listen to the people up to get Majora's Mask re-made for the 3DS. I mean, it doesn't have some of the reasons that OoT3D had to be re-made. Zelda's 25th Anniversary won't happen again, so I don't see the need to re-make Majora's Mask for anything like that. I can see why people want it re-made, but I don't think a public opinion like this one is going to convince Nintendo to actually go through with Operation Moonfall. And I think right now, new Zelda games is what everybody can agree on wanting, and I am sure Nintendo thinks that as well so new games may be the top priority for now. I also don't think re-making OoT for the 3DS sufficently delayed Skyward Sword, especially with the good feedback it's gotten, surely it's worth it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom