• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why OoT COULD NOT Have Started the Imprisoning War

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
OK, before you get all up in arms, read the whole thing.

HH claims that The Imprisoning War of ALttP is, infact, the ending of OoT, just in a "DownFall Timeline", where Link dies. Ganon takes the Triforce from Link and Zelda, and the Sages throw him into the Sacred Realm.

There are so many things wrong with assuming this, if it indeed happened, resulted in the Imprisoning War. And indeed a few thing pointing towords these two not even being the same Ganon.
Lets use logic to solve this.

Lets take in what the ALttP Manual says:

"One day, quite by accident, a gate to the Golden Land of the Triforce was opened by a gang of thieves skilled in the black arts. (*note, NOJ Version does not mention them to be skilled in "black arts") This land was like no other. In the gathering twilight, the Triforce shone from its resting place high above the world. In a long running battle, the leader of the thieves fought his way past his followers in a lust for the Golden Power. (*note, The Japanese version doesn't say it was a long running battle. It could have been a few minutes for all we know.) After vanquishing his own followers, the leader stood triumphant over the Triforce and grasped it with his blood- stained hands. He heard a whispered voice: "If thou has a strong desire or dream, wish for it..." And in reply, the roaring laughter of the brigand leader echoed across time and space and even reached the far-off land of Hyrule. The name of this king of thieves is Ganondorf Dragmire, but he is known by his alias, Mandrag Ganon, which means Ganon of the Enchanted Thieves. (*note, any Zelda fan worth his master sword KNOWS this, but "Dragmire" is simply not in the Japanese text. Nor is "Mandrag". The proper translation is (roughly) "The man's name was Ganondorf, but his common name was Ganon of the evil thieves.") I do not know what Ganon wished for from the Triforce. However, in time evil power began to flow from the Golden Land and greedy men were drawn there to become members of Ganon's army. (*note, NOJ says nothing about MEN, only people, and NOTHING about Ganon's army) Black clouds permanently darkened the sky, and many disasters beset Hyrule. The lord of Hyrule sent for the Seven Wise Men and the Knights Of Hyrule, and ordered them to seal the entrance to the Golden Land. (*note, this line was actually significant enough to be retconned by the GBA version. It is properly translated as SAGES, not Wise Men.) The Triforce, being an inanimate object, cannot judge between good and evil. Therefore, it could not know that Ganon's wishes were evil; it merely granted them. (*note, this is an outright goof. It says nothing about the Triforce being "inanimate". In fact, the game itself, by saying it is omnicient, and through the ending, implies otherwise. The proper translation is "The Triforce itself cannot judge between good and evil. That is because only the gods can do that.", the Japanese version suggests that the Triforce cannot judge because, like the rest of creation that has not ascended (Anyone but Vaati and possibly Ganon himself after his wish), it is not a god, not due to being inanimate) Suspecting that Ganon's power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil's bane, (*note, OH BOY, this is literally just pulled out of NOA's arse. In the NOJ version, A "divine oracle" told the people to make a mighty sword to guard the Triforce, and defeat evil ones would use it's power for evil, supposedly long before the appearance of Ganondorf. They did not create it by themselves in response to Ganon's rise to power. Could this be why the Goddess Sword was forged??? Also note that the blade is supposed to repel the evil one who would steal the Triforce, not "powers granted by the Triforce." So it does not merely repel Triforce magic; it repels ANY evil!) or the Master Sword. It was so powerful that only one who was pure of heart and strong of body could wield it. ( NOA may have misrepresented what is necessary to wield the Master Sword. A strong body does not strictly seem to be necessary. The Japanese version just says that only a true hero can use it. It's not clear what the conditions are, but perhaps we can take a page from the AoL manual: someone who has "a strong character with no evil thoughts. ...an inborn special quality is also necessary;" someone "who has been brought up correctly, has gained many kinds of experiences and reached a certain age." Also, the language here implies that we're not necessarily looking for THE hero. Anybody who is a true hero can use the Master Sword. That's why Zelda can pick it up in TWW, and the Hero of Light in AST - they're not THE hero who has been chosen to defeat Ganon, but nevertheless, they are true heros.) As the Seven Wise Men searched for a valiant person to take up the Master Sword, Ganon's evil army swarmed from the tainted Golden Land into Hyrule and attacked the castle. (*note It never says that Ganon attacked Hyrule Castle in the NOJ version, just started to. And it also merely referred to "Ganon's Malice", not his army. Neither here nor there though.) The wise men and the Knights Of Hyrule combined forces to wage war on this evil horde. The Knights took the full brunt of the fierce attack, and although they fought courageously many a brave soul was lost that day, However, their lives were not lost in vain, for they bought precious time for the Seven Wise Men to magically seal Ganon in the Golden land."

Now if you didn't read all of that, here is the Imprisoning War according to the ALttP Manual, corrected to be as close to the NOJ version as possible, in an order of events.

1: Really bad thieves, but not magic ones, STUMBLE upon the gate to the Sacred Realm. They may have been LOOKING for the Triforce, as many were, but they found the portal by accident. Ganondorf in OoT on the other hand, knew DAMN well the Temple of Time led there. Reason #1 OoT couldn't have started the Imprisoning War.

2: After an indeterminable amount of time, Ganon kills all of the other thieves. If they are supposed to be the Gerudo, they can't be the same because they would be dead in the Adult Link timeline.

3: Ganon takes the Triforce and makes his wish. THIS IS WHY THEY CAN'T BE THE SAME GANON! This IS the first time Ganon entered the Sacred Realm, hence the Triforce was still "Resting", yet he is able to take the WHOLE Triforce and make his wishwhich the OoT Ganon could NOT do.

4: Ganon starts to pull people (Not nessicarily humans) into the Dark World, where they are never seen AGAIN :O. EDIT: Something else I noticed. The wording seems to Imply that Hyrule is intact after Ganon makes his wish, and to wish on the Triforce, you must have all 3 pieces. According to HH, Ganon rules Hyrule by the time he makes his wish. After all, why attack Hyrule Castle when it's yours?

5: The King and the Sages (NO, they aren't "Wise Men", that was a mistranslation) think "Uh, maybe we should close the gate, DURR!"

6: They start to look for the Master Sword (IMPLING THEY DID NOT KNOW WHERE IT WAS) and a hero, but then they're all like "Screw it, just go ahead and close the damn gate!"

7: They Seal Ganon away, and it is possible he never left but intended to leave and attack Hyrule.

THAT is why OoT cannot have led to the Imprisoning War.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well, AlttP was made way before OoT was, of course nintendo had no knowledge that OoT would happen when they made AlttP, and the story details between games are sketchy, I guess you just got to overlook them. Also I thought that Ganon actually fights link, kills him, and zelda, and since he was actually seeking more than power he actually could gain all three pieces, because he was seeking them therefore they were balanced within him.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
This is a pretty big inconsistency though. And OoT was made as practically a 3D remake of ALttP (Go through the game and count the similarities, I DOG dare you. Like the Potion lady resembling Syrup, the Future and DW both being ruled by Ganon, etc.) so I think they had ALttP in mind when making it. Plus, they say the NES games' manuals are canon, so why not ALttP's? Also, Ganon wasn't looking for anything more than Power: hence why the Triforce split landed him with the ToP rather than Wisdom or Courage in the first place. Him attempting to reclaim the other two shards is nothing more than a blind pursuit of his unquenchable lust for Power. Being able to reunite the Triforce has nothing to do with obtaining balance, it's about locating the other two shards. After all, if Ganondorf obtained balance between OoT and WW he would be wise enough to not be caught during a monolog

With all due respect, there is some slight evidence that Nintendo really doesn't have the foggiest idea about what the timeline, if it exists at this point, actually is. Evidence includes Miyamoto claiming LA takes place after NESLoZ in an interview.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This is a pretty big inconsistency though. And OoT was made as practically a 3D remake of ALttP (Go through the game and count the similarities, I DOG dare you. Like the Potion lady resembling Syrup, the Future and DW both being ruled by Ganon, etc.) so I think they had ALttP in mind when making it. Plus, they say the NES games' manuals are canon, so why not ALttP's? Also, Ganon wasn't looking for anything more than Power: hence why the Triforce split landed him with the ToP rather than Wisdom or Courage in the first place. Him attempting to reclaim the other two shards is nothing more than a blind pursuit of his unquenchable lust for Power. Being able to reunite the Triforce has nothing to do with obtaining balance, it's about locating the other two shards. After all, if Ganondorf obtained balance between OoT and WW he would be wise enough to not be caught during a monolog

With all due respect, there is some slight evidence that Nintendo really doesn't have the foggiest idea about what the timeline, if it exists at this point, actually is. Evidence includes Miyamoto claiming LA takes place after NESLoZ in an interview.

Well maybe you are right, my point is though according to OoT once Ganon gathers the three triforce weilders the triforce will become whole again, if the same person who touched it once and split it, takes the time to regather the missing pieces and touch the triforce again, that person will get his wish. Sure they may have had AlttP in mind when making OoT, but the story details couldn't be made to agree with everything that happens in AlttP, triforce lore in both games vary drastically, AlttP was the first game that really had a triforce lore that was elaborated on. OoT was made and they set everything on the table like they were wanting everything to be based around. So yes, maybe Ganon wasn't balanced, the point is he got the missing pieces, the second time he touched the triforce it didn't split again, it couldn't have.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
OoT was made and they set everything on the table like they were wanting everything to be based around. So yes, maybe Ganon wasn't balanced, the point is he got the missing pieces, the second time he touched the triforce it didn't split again, it couldn't have.

There aren't any major contradictions that deal with the Triforce lore, except perhaps the gender of the Three Goddesses, and gods in other Nintendo franchises are sometimes andogenderous (Naga in Fire Emblem specifically comes to mind), so it's not that big of one.

The major contridiction that I'm talking about is concerning Ganon specifically. Tell me, according to HH, where does OoT Ganon reunite the Triforce? Or at least, where can you infer he reunited it?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
There aren't any major contradictions that deal with the Triforce lore, except perhaps the gender of the Three Goddesses, and gods in other Nintendo franchises are sometimes andogenderous (Naga in Fire Emblem specifically comes to mind), so it's not that big of one.

The major contridiction that I'm talking about is concerning Ganon specifically. Tell me, according to HH, where does OoT Ganon reunite the Triforce? Or at least, where can you infer he reunited it?

At Hyrule castle, which is were the final battle between him and link takes place. When Link, zelda, and Ganondorf are all gathered in that one room before the final battle Ganon says that the Triforce has reunited.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
hwrdjacob;893809 "One day said:
quite by accident[/B], a gate to the Golden Land of the Triforce was opened by a gang of thieves skilled in the black arts. (*note, NOJ Version does not mention them to be skilled in "black arts") This land was like no other. In the gathering twilight, the Triforce shone from its resting place high above the world. In a long running battle, the leader of the thieves fought his way past his followers in a lust for the Golden Power. (*note, The Japanese version doesn't say it was a long running battle. It could have been a few minutes for all we know.) After vanquishing his own followers, the leader stood triumphant over the Triforce and grasped it with his blood- stained hands. He heard a whispered voice: "If thou has a strong desire or dream, wish for it..." And in reply, the roaring laughter of the brigand leader echoed across time and space and even reached the far-off land of Hyrule."

EXACTLY! This is the major contradiction that exists in HH!!! Notice the choice of words: "His wish echoed to the far-off land of Hyrule". He wasn't in Hyrule when he made his wish as HH states.

It doesn't exist within OoT either, only HH.

Let me reiterate the order of events of The Imprisoning War:
1: Really bad thieves, but not magic ones, STUMBLE upon the gate to the Sacred Realm. They may have been LOOKING for the Triforce, as many were, but they found the portal by accident. Ganondorf in OoT on the other hand, knew DAMN well the Temple of Time led there. Reason #1 OoT couldn't have started the Imprisoning War.

2: After an indeterminable amount of time, Ganon kills all of the other thieves. If they are supposed to be the Gerudo, they can't be the same because they would be dead in the Adult Link timeline.

3: Ganon takes the Triforce and makes his wish. THIS IS WHY THEY CAN'T BE THE SAME GANON! This IS the first time Ganon entered the Sacred Realm, hence the Triforce was still "Resting", yet he is able to take the WHOLE Triforce and make his wish, which the OoT Ganon could NOT do.

And this is not just confined to the manual, these events (At least I recall) are also explained in-game by the Seven Maidens. Plus, The Big N says the NES Manuals are 100% canon despite the fact that it is highly unlikely "Zelda I" is really the first Zelda, bringing along the connotion that manuals are just as canon as the games they belong to. (HH also says the FS manual story is canon)

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
EXACTLY! This is the major contradiction that exists in HH!!! Notice the choice of words: "His wish echoed to the far-off land of Hyrule". He wasn't in Hyrule when he made his wish as HH states.

It doesn't exist within OoT either, only HH.

Let me reiterate the order of events of The Imprisoning War:

3: Ganon takes the Triforce and makes his wish. THIS IS WHY THEY CAN'T BE THE SAME GANON! This IS the first time Ganon entered the Sacred Realm, hence the Triforce was still "Resting", yet he is able to take the WHOLE Triforce and make his wish, which the OoT Ganon could NOT do.

And this is not just confined to the manual, these events (At least I recall) are also explained in-game by the Seven Maidens. Plus, The Big N says the NES Manuals are 100% canon despite the fact that it is highly unlikely "Zelda I" is really the first Zelda, bringing along the connotion that manuals are just as canon as the games they belong to. (HH also says the FS manual story is canon)

Maybe he was in the sacard realm? Idk. Maybe since the hero fails timeline is an alternate dimension OoT didn't take place exactly like the story was told in the OoT we have knowledge of?

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Maybe he was in the sacard realm? Idk. Maybe since the hero fails timeline is an alternate dimension OoT didn't take place exactly like the story was told in the OoT we have knowledge of?

HH claims only the ending of OoT would be different, and stands by what we saw in-game aside from the "DT". I may be labeled a blasphemer for this but maybe-JUST maybe-HH is wrong.

Last edited:

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Look at the title of the series, The Legend of Zelda. All these stories passed down through the ages must have been distorted and twisted in more ways than one. And who, besides Ganon, Link, and Zelda, actually witnessed the final battle in OoT? The people who decided to write down these stories for bedtimes and camping trips probably had no idea what actually happened! I still think the timeline stands, but you do bring up some very interesting points and I'm intrigued as to what other people think.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
The Literal Legend theory? Do I believe it? Well... In an interesting way, yes and no. Nintendo claims they develop games in a manner consistent to that theory. I still think, however, that what you see in the games IS what actually occured, and not a distorted legend. There is one specific game that ALttP can take place after without any major inconsistencies... spoiler alert, it's not OoT... any guesses?

Let me tell you a story, long, long ago, in the distant year of 2003, in a strange and magical land known to some as Japan, there was a special craftsman: a craftsman of video games, named Nintendo. (I can't keep up this fairy tale gag any longer! :( ) So Nintendo was rolling in money from WW and their remake of ALttP, which included Four Swords (which existed mostly to show off the GBA's 4 player capability). But let's face it, every company is in it for the cash. Just some companies blindly chase it, and others put time, care, and consideration into their products, like Nintendo. They wanted a sequel of some kind, and they had two ideas: A WW sequel (which would result in TP and PH) and-something not many people that I've met know about-An ALttP & FS prequel. This game would have detailed the events of the Imprisoning War (more evidence that OoT is not the IW: why make a game based on it if there already is one?) This game went through development smoothly, but Miyamoto, in another act of his distain for stories in video games, told them to, quote, "simplify the story and focus on the unique play style" at around 75% through development. But, what he did NOT say was "Don't make it an ALttP prequel". As such, while the final product does not detail the Imprisoning War, it was made with the mind set of "This will lead to ALttP", contains many references, both visual and audiotory, to ALttP, and since the aspect of being an ALttP prequel was not removed but rather "simplified" it was-and to this day, still is- An ALttP prequel by technicality.

That game was released in 2004 as Four Swords Adventures.

Let's look at this possibility before you carry me off to this forum's equivalent to an asylum. In order for a game to precede ALttP without any issues, it must 1: Have the events of the IW add up. Well, OoT has too many differences, but Nintendo made (possibly to the boon of the timeline) to remove details of the IW from FSA entirely. OoT:0 FSA:1. Ganondorf from OoT was said to be Imbalanced and split the Triforce when he first touched it, yet ALttP Ganon is stated to have made his wish not only as soon as he touched it, but in the Sacred Realm, which OoT Ganondoorf did neither of. Also, Hyrule was intact at the start of ALttP, since a King was ruling and not Ganon, but in OoT Ganon rules Hyrule and has destroyed Hyrule Castle, erecting a dark, twisted, and narcissistic perversion in it's place. It's also implied-and stated in unofficial media-that he murdered the King. This means Hyrule must be intact AND that Ganon must be balanced. In FSA, Hyrule is intact. The Ganon in this Game is undoubtibly a brand new incarnation of Ganon. But let's look at how he is introduced. The Gerudo refer to him nochalantly as "A man" while in OoT they treat him like god. This would imply the centennial king hogwash has been dealt away with. So, this Ganon is likely not the Gerudo King. Furthermore, he is not stated to have any power of any sort prior to obtaining the Trident of Power. While there is not evidence for or against this theory, I am going to assume that this Ganon was a complete Mortal. Which, in hindsight, makes him more dangerous than OoT Ganon could ever hope to be. This Ganon was able to manipulate his way towards King of Evil status, by stealing the Trident (quite a feat on it's own, it would seem), tricking the Deku into believing him to be a God, and manipulating Vaati's actions to name a few things. While you could argue what it means to be "balanced" in the eyes of the Triforce, he is certainly conniving enough, and at the very least isn't stated to be otherwise.

This makes even more sense when you do this: assume for a moment that there are 2 Ganons. We'll call the first one OoT Ganon, or "Modern" Ganon, and ALttP Ganon "Classic" Ganon. Assume OoT Ganon appears in OoT, WW, and Twilight Princess. Assume Classic Ganon appears in FSA, ALttP, OoX, ALBW, and NESLoZ, with his shadow appearing in LA. Let's contrast and compare.

Modern: Usually wields Swords in combat, has a greenish skin tone in all forms, is usually seen as a human and only transforms twice, is shown to be unbalanced and cannot claim the Triforce without a split, only manipulates Zant, and is slain by the Master Sword in both WW and TP.

Classic: Always uses his Trident, has a bluish skin tone, is always seen in "Beast" form and never as a human, is apparently balanced and able to claim the Triforce, commits every act of "Ganon all along" except for TP, and is only shown to die to Silver Arrows.

Almost like two different Ganons, eh?

I'd like to know what you all think of this.

Last edited:

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
They start to look for the Master Sword (IMPLING THEY DID NOT KNOW WHERE IT WAS) and a hero, but then they're all like "Screw it, just go ahead and close the **** gate!

Doesn't the game say that the sages made the master sword?

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Lets take in what the ALttP Manual says:

"Suspecting that Ganon's power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil's bane, (*note, OH BOY, this is literally just pulled out of NOA's arse. In the NOJ version, A "divine oracle" told the people to make a mighty sword to guard the Triforce, and defeat evil ones would use it's power for evil, supposedly long before the appearance of Ganondorf. They did not create it by themselves in response to Ganon's rise to power. Could this be why the Goddess Sword was forged??? Also note that the blade is supposed to repel the evil one who would steal the Triforce, not "powers granted by the Triforce." So it does not merely repel Triforce magic; it repels ANY evil!) or the Master Sword.

It's very important to note that the Japanese version said nothing about the Sages forging it, just "The People", and it was described as a long ago event unrelated to Ganon. But it's not completely impossible that the Sages were either directly, indirectly, or solely involved, given how their Insignia appears in SS as the single most blatent reference to OoT aside from where you find it (An implied ancient version of the Temple of Time). The purpose of the Sword was to "Guard the Triforce, defeat those who would use it's power for evil" (I.E. any ******bag that managed to wish on it with malevolent intent I.E. Classic Ganon OR perhaps any evil person with just a piece potent enough to spread chaos I.E. Modern Ganon.) Also important to note that the "Triforce Magic" BS is non-existant in the NOJ version: it just repels evil in general, but with the overall goal being to safeguard the Triforce. Since Hylia was the guardian of the Triforce who wielded the Goddess Sword, it's already being used for the aforementioned purpose. Now, it never said anything about how it had to KEEP that purpose, it's just the original idea behind it's inception.

And for the record, it's more correct I think to use the term tempered when referring to Link's actions in SS. Forging is I believe making the blade, while Tempering is sharpening it. The Master Sword is therefore also tempered in ALttP and ALBW. It gains new magic in TP, where it's infused with SOL from the Twilight Realm, and is recharged in WW. You also forget the most vital and final step was Hylia giving her divine blessing to the blade, which occurs when Zelda is sealed. It may or may not (I'm leaning on it did have, and this just boosted it) have had evil repellent before that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom