• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who is "evil" in Zelda

I found an old post from 2010 which argued about wether Gannondorf was really pure evil. Now that SS has come out, it is time to bring up this topic again. Except this time, it could apply to all the villains in the zelda series. Buckle up your seat belts… or horse saddles… cause here we go!

First, what is evil? My dictionary defines evil for a entity as the intent to be "profoundly immoral and malevolent"

•Is Majora pure evil?
Majora is the villain of Termina. Majora acts like a kid, and thinks everything is a game. I don't think that Majora had grasped the concept of death, fear, or pain. Majora was just chaos without any guidelines. I think if Majora had been able to realize what it was doing, it might have stopped.

In my opinion, Majora was not pure evil. It was just without boundaries and debatably the embodiment of chaos.

The person you are describing here is the Skull Kid, the one who is used as Majora's puppet. He's just doing what the mask tells him. Other than that, I agree with you.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
No, Majora acts like a kid too. The whole scene in the moon takes place after it has abandoned SK.

Yup. Here is a quote from Majora itself (Not skull kid).
"Do you want to play with me? OK, let's play good guys and bad guys... I'll be the good guy, and you be the bad guy... ".
However you COULD argue that this was from the moonchild not Majora. I personally doubt it.

I have heard Majora described at child like. I think thats a great description.

Think about it, Majora has no real ulterior motive. He/she/it is not out to rule the world or find some great power or anything, he acts like it's just one big game. He goes around and wrecks havoc just for the heck of it. Remember when you go into the observatory and you find him on the Clock Tower taunting you? Even when he takes your horse he seems to be doing it just because he wants something fun to do or some new toy to play around with. He even abandons Epona fairly quickly as you can find her at the ranch after it. Almost like he finished playing with a new toy and throw it away. Even the moon crashing down just seems like a game to him, a kind of "lets see you stop THIS" kind of thing. You know how kids will try to outdo each other to win? That seems to be Majora's motive, like one big game with Link.

This idea of Majora being like a child is also personified through the Skull Kid who is just that, a kid. I often wonder who influenced who. Was Major's power reflected through the personality of the Skull Kid, is that what made him so childlike? It's an interesting question worth further exploration. You can see the children in the moon, which is a further reflection of that theme. I think it shows Majora's inner personality. The "Let's play good guys and bad guys" thing seems like he is playing a game of chase, you know? Either way I wonder if Majora's personality is reflected through the wearer. If Link wore the mask would it act so childlike, or would Link's maturity create another personification of it?

I also like the idea of Majora being an embodiment of chaos, and tying in to what I was talking about before it's almost like a child with too much power and no supervision. Majora is not good, but not evil either. That's what I love about Majora, such an us usual villain and quite the enigma!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would class Demise as pure evil, he cares for nobody but himself, his only goal is to obtain the triforce and rule the world. As the imprisoned since it was not possible to obtain the triforce he would have consumed the world since taking it over was out of the equation.

Ganondorf is pure evil as well, since the hatred of the original pure evil is reborn in him, it is safe to class Ganondorf as pure evil too. It is also obvious from his appearances in games. In OOT he murdered and stole from women and children, for no benefit of anybody but his own enjoyment. His goal, like Demise, was to rule the world. He lied to and manipulated people so he could gain access to the sacred realm and take the triforce. In Twilight Princess his character is very similar to OOT he is just less sarcastic and more businesslike. He still manipulates someone with mental health problems and does not ressurect them when they are killed. He still wishes to rule the world, believing he has a divine entitlement to it and is prepared to kill any who oppose him. Now the Wind Wakers depiction of Ganondorf is one that some believe was more human and not wholly evil. I absolutely disagree with this view. This Ganondorf is just as evil as the rest. He is a psychopath who justifies everything he has done because he was jealous of the people of Hyrule because they lived easier lives. This Ganondorf does not care for his peoples suffering, it was only for himself that he wanted Hyrule. He did not help them in OOT and left them in the desert with his parents in charge. This Ganondorf is the same guy from OOT, 'the great king of evil'. He only shows mercy to remind people of his dominance, he left link alive only so he could deliver a message to the sages and does not kill him in the end so that he can bear witness to Ganondorf becoming the ruler of Hyrule again. Pig Ganon in every other appearance is pure evil and has no redeeming qualities that could even be mistaken for anything that is not evil. Ganondorf is pure evil.

I don't think Majora was really evil, just insane. It has no concept of morality at all and therefore could not make a decision knowing that it was wrong.

Vaati was corrupted, perhaps not pure evil, but evil nonetheless. He was tempted by power and made the decision to do bad things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom