• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Link is the "Ancient Hero" in TP?

Let me explain. In the end of OoT, Link returns to his childhood, correct? Yeah, everyone can agree there. In the Wind Waker, the Hero of Time is refered to as a legend. That was the Adult Timeline. In the CT, OoT Link never saves Hyrule, because he went to Termina looking for Navi. So...how could he be the hero that's refered to in Twilight Princess?

The canon CT looks like this so far:

MC--OoT/MM--TP

Unless another Link appeared before or after OoT, the "Ancient Hero" refered to by Faron and Hero's Shade MUST be the Link from Minish Cap.

However, that seems unlikely. MC Link didn't do much. All he did was seal Vaati. Nothing involving Ganon/dorf was done. So this is what I propose.

Do you think Zelda XV will be a sequel to MM when MM Link grew up? That would explain how the "Hero" in TP could still be OoT Link.

What are your thoughts?

Who is the Ancient Hero in TP?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I've wondered about this very thing. I believe I made a topic about it sometime before the board-wipeout.

Anyway...

Most people seem to think that the "Anicent Hero" was ye olde beloved Hero of Time.

I can see a couple of different reasonings for this. The first, most straightforward one is that, in the CT, he managed to speak with Zelda, relate the events he'd expeirienced, they both managed to seal up Ganondorf/get him to trial and Link's story became this odd little legend, even though the CT Hyrule didn't experience it.

Another explaination, one that a friend of mine swears by and one that I've used in one of my fanfictions - There was some kind of Back to the Future-like split with Link that happened when he was sent back in time and part of the reason why he left Hyrule was to avoid *running into his other self* during those seven years. Basically, the timeline fell back on itself and repeated. "Sent back Link" went to Termina while regular timeline Link did all the world saving, before becoming "Sent Back Link" therefore, the Adult Timeline events also happened in the Child Timeline.

Yes, I just broke my brain.

Either way...

Zelda is Zelda. Don't *try* to make too much sense out of it. :P

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The canon CT looks like this so far:

MC--OoT/MM--TP

How is this the canon timeline? As far as I'm concerned, there has been no blatant statement made by any developers saying that MC is for sure at the beginning of the timeline. I do put MC at the beginning of the timeline because that's where I believe it goes but there it has not been set in stone. The placement of MC is highly debated. You can't say it's canon because no one really knows for sure. It's all just opinion.

However, that seems unlikely. MC Link didn't do much. All he did was seal Vaati. Nothing involving Ganon/dorf was done. So this is what I propose.

Well that's insulting to MC Link! He did just as much as OoT Link did. Let's take a look at their achievements, shall we?

OoT Link defeated a great evil (Ganondorf) with great power that was trying to achieve an even greater power (Triforce).

MC Link defeated a great evil (Vaati) with great power that was trying to achieve an even greater power (Light Force).

OoT Link saved Hyrule from a great evil (Ganondorf) and sealed it away (in the SR).

MC Link saved Hyrule from a great evil (Vaati) and sealed it away (in the Four Sword).

It seems to me that they both did, pretty much, the same exact thing just under different circumstances. The only reason you don't consider MC to be as important as OoT is because OoT was a big, 3D games. If it was the other way around (MC being the big, 3D game and OoT being the 2D game) then you would be saying "OoT Link didn't do much."

What are your thoughts?

My thought is that it is about OoT Link. Think of it this way. The Goddesses are extremely powerful, right? It's safe to assume that in the Zelda world they have just as much power as Christians believe God to have in our own world. With that in mind, regardless of the Hero of Time not existing on the CT, the Goddesses would know that Link is still the Hero of Time, even when he is sent back to his childhood.

Now the Hero's Shade seems to have a very divine feel to him, meaning that the Goddesses may have let him live in some other form to help the new hero out. In order for him to be able to be the Hero's Shade, the only people that really need to know he is an ancient hero are the Goddesses. Doesn't seem impossible to me.

Also, in OoT Link saved Hyrule. In MM Link saved the entire world. There is no doubt in my mind that the moon crashing would have completely wiped out the entire planet. Seems to me that Link's adventure in MM was much more difficult and rewarding than his adventure in OoT so who is to say that when they refer to the Hero's Shade as an ancient hero, they aren't talking about his actions in MM?

How is this the canon timeline? As far as I'm concerned, there has been no blatant statement made by any developers saying that MC is for sure at the beginning of the timeline. I do put MC at the beginning of the timeline because that's where I believe it goes but there it has not been set in stone. The placement of MC is highly debated. You can't say it's canon because no one really knows for sure. It's all just opinion.

I've heard people say that there were developer quotes that said it was first. But I guess that's my fault for believing them. I've asked people to come forward with the quotes, but they haven't yet.

This was my bad.

Well that's insulting to MC Link! He did just as much as OoT Link did. Let's take a look at their achievements, shall we?

XD Hang on...I've gotta stop laughing...Okay. Better.

OoT Link defeated a great evil (Ganondorf) with great power that was trying to achieve an even greater power (Triforce).

MC Link defeated a great evil (Vaati) with great power that was trying to achieve an even greater power (Light Force).

OoT Link saved Hyrule from a great evil (Ganondorf) and sealed it away (in the SR).

MC Link saved Hyrule from a great evil (Vaati) and sealed it away (in the Four Sword).

It seems to me that they both did, pretty much, the same exact thing just under different circumstances. The only reason you don't consider MC to be as important as OoT is because OoT was a big, 3D games. If it was the other way around (MC being the big, 3D game and OoT being the 2D game) then you would be saying "OoT Link didn't do much."

Plausibly. Probably. I still don't know what to think though.

My thought is that it is about OoT Link. Think of it this way. The Goddesses are extremely powerful, right? It's safe to assume that in the Zelda world they have just as much power as Christians believe God to have in our own world. With that in mind, regardless of the Hero of Time not existing on the CT, the Goddesses would know that Link is still the Hero of Time, even when he is sent back to his childhood.

Now the Hero's Shade seems to have a very divine feel to him, meaning that the Goddesses may have let him live in some other form to help the new hero out. In order for him to be able to be the Hero's Shade, the only people that really need to know he is an ancient hero are the Goddesses. Doesn't seem impossible to me.

Also, in OoT Link saved Hyrule. In MM Link saved the entire world. There is no doubt in my mind that the moon crashing would have completely wiped out the entire planet. Seems to me that Link's adventure in MM was much more difficult and rewarding than his adventure in OoT so who is to say that when they refer to the Hero's Shade as an ancient hero, they aren't talking about his actions in MM?

I thought Termina was an alternate dimension...not somewhere else on the planet/world/whatever. I could've sworn it was.

The stuff about the Godesses is a high level of speculation though. WHile it's possible, it's not probable.

But I see what you mean.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I thought Termina was an alternate dimension...not somewhere else on the planet/world/whatever. I could've sworn it was.

The stuff about the Godesses is a high level of speculation though. WHile it's possible, it's not probable.

But I see what you mean.

But it's made quite obvious in the game that they are somehow connected. There is a portal to Termina (though it is debated how the portal was created) and we even see characters that have talked about traveling between the worlds which means it may not be such a dimension to reach. If one person who was saved in Termina found a way to travel to Hyrule it wouldn't be hard for Link's adventure there to spread fast.

I do think it's minish cap link cuz minish cap comes after oot on the chilt timelime.

Not likely.

I think the hero is just OoT Link. It doesn't have to be the Hero of Time or anything. Child Link did quite a bit on his own. Something to note as well (not that it may be anything certain) is the stitching of the Hero's Clothes in TP. If Child Link's tunic had to be fitted for an adult, it would have to be torn apart and stitched together with other pieces to make it bigger. So, that's always possible.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I'm going to say they're talking about MM Link. Did they ever say it was the same exact outfit the past hero wore? If it wasn't, it could have just been designed after his. Then again, we don't know if he ever made it back to Hyrule, so they would have never known he was a hero... unless Link and Zelda told everyone what happened when Link was sent back. I mean... if Zelda believed it, why wouldn't a bunch of commoners? Plus, I believe the Goddesses are the same no matter what timeline it is. So we can't really rule out it being the Hero of Time's tunic. Confusing subject.

Last edited:
I don't think this thread is about the Hero's shade Swift. It is about in game talk of the past hero of Hyrule that wore the same garments that TP Link wore.

Zarom

The King
I think it may be Link from MC, but I'm not sure since we don't know where that game goes in the timeline yet. :nod:

Maybe it's simply refering to OOT Link? Because then, it is Link that told (huh :huh:, he speaks? :huh:) Zelda about Ganondorf's evil plans. So, he saves Hyrule too in that case, is it not?

I finally think that the New Zelda will take place before OOT or after MM judging after Link's hair style. But I think it is most likely to take place after MM. Or maybe not... :thinking::thinking::thinking:

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
The Hero's Bow in TP is very similar to the Hero's Bow in MM besides just having the same name. I'm sure OoT/MM Link did some awesome stuff other than sealing Ganon in Hyrule, like becoming a mayor after epicly slaughtering an uprising of Moblins. Zelda telling everyone would be understandable too, or the fact that he literally has divine power stamped on the back of his hand.

Well, I would have by default assumed it was the Hero of Time, however, you are right in that it would be impossible for that to be true... Although technically there is a lot of evidence of the Hero of Time in the game, including the gravestone and perhaps even the Hero's Shade. Perhaps this is proof that the timeline split wasn't originally endorsed by Nintendo (which is the theory I've believed all along)? :P

Well, either way, don't assume it's Minish Cap. First off, Minish Cap's placement as the first game in the timeline is still only theory. Perhaps probable theory, but there's no definitive proof.

Besides, you assume the line of heroes begun and ended with Link. Perhaps there were others? Or at least "Links" that were never covered in any game? After all, Minish Cap talks about a prior hero. Zelda only covers some of the story of Hyrule, so it's realistic to assume it's a hero we've never seen.

But it still seems obvious to me it's the Hero of Time. The whole game screams OoT and makes countless references to it.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I sort of figured it was the Hero of Time as well... however, it makes sense that they wouldn't refer to him as such as he wouldn't have done any time-traveling quests (save for in Termina) that would be passed down through Hyrulean legends since none of the Adult Side stuff (collecting Spiritual Stones/Medallions/etc) happened on the side that MM and TP take place on.

Still, there's that huge gap between MM and TP where we have no idea what happened to OoT!Link. Maybe he ended up saving the world anyway, just in a different fashion, and ended up becoming the Hero of Legend? If not, it's still possible that the events of OoT that happened on the Adult Side could've been recorded in history books on the Child Side since Link did tell Princess Zelda everything that had happened as soon as he was returned to his own time. So, maybe she had that written down in history books, or maybe even Link's adventure in Termina was put in history. Who knows. In any case, I still feel like they were trying to refer to OoT!Link, but they couldn't since on this side of the timeline (Child) it's less likely that'd he'd be known as the "Hero of Time", and more likely that he'd be known as the "Hero of _________ "(Legend, after some time).

OR maybe OoT!Link or some other Link saved the world between the two games and Zelda Wii will tell us what happened and who this Hero of Legend mentioned in TP is. But that's just me being a dork and hoping that Nintendo would make sense of Zelda for once. Haaaaw haw haw like they'll do that anytime soon. u_u

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom