• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Games Are Canon

Well one of the main points of coversation is which games are canon in the series and what constitutes a game being considered canon. If you want to see which games I believe are canon see my timeline theory and my reasons are on New Trident theory thread.

Everybody (I Know) believes that LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LA, OOT, MM, WW, TP, PH are canon. I was wondering what everybody else considers canon, you dont have to list those above they will just be assumed. If you dont think a source is canon, post a small comment on why not.

A Link to the Past (SNES/GBA) - GBA

Oracle of Ages/Seasons - Yes
Four Swords - Yes
Four Swords Adventures - Yes
Minish Cap - Yes
Freshly Picked Tingles Rosy Rupeeland - Yes
Tingles Balloon Fight DS - Yes
Links Crossbow Training - Yes
BS Zelda - No idea but probably not
Ancient Stone Tablets - same as above
Zelda Game & Watch (2 Games) - same as above
Valiant Comic Series - no cant see it fitting
Catoon Series - no cant see it fitting
CD-I Games - no not nintendo autherised
SSB Series - no that would link hyrule to the mushroom kingdom :S
Soul Calibur 2 - The story fits but no
Navi Trackers - again no idea but doubt it

As you can see I have no idea on some of these sources but hopefully somebody can provide some enlightenment and even some new sources.

O

Omega Speed

I personally do not think that Four Swords is canon. The reason being is because it was a multiplayer add-on to GBA LttP. Four Swords Adventures is a GCN game that was made by itself because of the popularity of FS. This game, I consider canon.

I maintain that all Zelda games made by Nintendo, except those that I specify, are canon. This includes the Capcom games because they were made in collaboration with Nintendo. I am not sure about the Satteliview games and the CD-i games are non-canon. Nintendo did give permission for Philips to manufacture the games, but they are not canon. The cartoons, comics, and manga are non-canon unless Nintendo says they are. I am not sure about SSB. That game is a wild card. Spin-offs made by Nintendo are canon to me. If they take place during another game or after it, then they are canon. Navi Trackers was made by Nintendo, so that would be a yes.

What do you think about FS being mentioned in the back story of FSA would that not make it canon for you?

They gave them the rights to Link, Zelda and Ganon but did not supervise or create these games and so I dont believe they can be considered canon.

Wouldnt SSB being canon mean that link could go to the mushroom kingdom and then catch a pikachu and use it to defeat Ganon who is now the leader of Team Rocket.

The 14 main titles.
I wouldn't call AST and BS LoZ canon, as in actively use arguments from stuff in those games, but they show intent. Intent in 1998 was for LA to be after LttP. Intent for LoZ was for Ganon to have the Trident. Etc

Its not really an opinion of whats canon. The canon games are obvious. When Nintendo doesn't re release or make reference to a game in over 5 years, then you know its not canon. As mentioned above, the main titles (as well as FS) are canon.

Canon
LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LA, OoT, MM, OoS, OoA, FS, FSA, MC, TP, WW, PH (and soon, ST will be added to this list)

Not Canon
BS Zelda, AST, Game and Watch games, Comics, Cartoons, CD-i titles, SSB, Soul Calibur. All of these games are again, obviously not important to or tie in with the overall plot. Nintendo has made one big mistake in the entire series in creating a canon game that was not accessible to all players, and that was Four Swords. But other than that, when you have a game that is only released as a special add on or a spin off, if it isn't accessible to all players then its not canon.

Really Doesn't Matter
Any of the Tingle games, Link's Crossbow Training, Tetra's Trackers ( I think that's what they called it). These games don't matter because they are side games and aren't important at all to the overall plot of the series. Also, the Tingle games are not accessible by all players. This doesn't necessarily make them non-canon, its just that whether they are canon or not is obviously not important at all. In Nintendo released a game that was going to add to, take away, or do anything to the overall plot of the mainstream series, it would be made accessible to everyone, meaning released in all regions.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
I consider the 14 major titles, and AST to be canon.
I see no reason to discard FS, seeing as FSA makes reference to it.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Canon:
All the main 14 tittles, FS and FSA, TRR (Canon, and despite what someone else said above IS important as it answers the question 'How does Tingle get on so many timelines?')

Non-Canon:
BS Zelda, CD-I games, Link's crossbow training (Link never has a crossbow, I believe this is too modern for a canon Zelda game, and before Basement24 can jump in I know there is a Bazooka in TP,) the cartoons or the comics.[/COLOR]

Doesn't matter:
Tingles balloon fight, any of the japanese games and possibly Link's crossbow training. The reason being, none of these actually have a storyline. They are all just mini-games. Therefore, whether or not they are canon does not make a difference as either way, it will make an absolute zero difference to ANYTHING.[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Hey, there's a bazooka in--

and before Basement24 can jump in I know there is a Bazooka in TP,)

-awwww..... You beat me to it! :P

Link's Crossbow Training is not canon, but not just based on the crossbow alone. It was stated in an interview with Miyamoto and Iwata that the idea behind the game was to create a game based on TP that used the Wii Zapper. His team all wanted to put in epic stories and the like, but in the end, it was just to be a bunch of minigames that introduced the new peripheral.

So, in short, LCT shouldn't be considered canon. I think the only games that most people count, and are undoubtedly canon are the main 15 games that others here have mentioned. Everything else is just adaptations of games into different media, but shouldn't be regarded as part of the overall story.

This kind of goes back to a thread about what should and shouldn't be considered canon in general. I suppose in a way, you can think anything is canon in your own head, but in terms of public discussion on these matters, be prepared for backlash or defense of your concepts.* Most people just accept what is and what is canon based on personal preference in other franchises.

*I have yet to see anyone defending the canonnical nature of Link's fight with Captain N and Puss N Boots on top of the Statue of Liberty... It's things like this that pretty much clarify what and what not to accept into canon outside of the games.

Canon:
All the main 14 tittles, FS and FSA, TRR (Canon, and despite what someone else said above IS important as it answers the question 'How does Tingle get on so many timelines?')

True, it does answer that question, but the reason I put it under my "Doesn't Matter" category was because Tingle doesn't have all that important jobs that are crucial to the timeline. The biggest thing he done was decipher maps in WW. So I guess it could help by ruling Tingle out as a valid source in making a timeline, being that his reoccurance is explained in TRR.

and before Basement24 can jump in I know there is a Bazooka in TP,)

I keep hearing about this, so I have to ask. Where is this bazooka?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I personally do not think that Four Swords is canon.

Four Swords goes right smack dab in the middle of 2 games that are canon. It is (timeline related) the second game in the FS series. MC and FSA are most certainly canon so there is absolutely no way that the game that goes in between them on a timeline is not canon. That would be like having a turkey sandwich without the turkey.

I consider all Zelda games (including Four Swords) canon except for the following:

Link's Crossbow Training, BS The Legend of Zelda, The Ancient Stone Tablets, Tetra's Trackers and CD-i.

I don't think I need to explain my reasons for most of them, except perhaps Stone Tablets. The thing just feels more like a minigame/spinoff/contest to me, so I don't personally feel it's canon.

I also don't consider any of the comics (including the manga) or shows canon.

I used to consider TRR non-canonical, but these days I'm a little neutral on it. It could be, it could not be. I don't know.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
TRR, right now, is kinda pointless to consider as canon or not.
Maybe in the future it'll be easier necessary to help understand some stuff, but, if it was considered canon, there would be some clashes, for example:

According to the Salona dialogues, it had to be AFTER OoX, yet, it shows how Tingle came to be.
Tingle firstly appears in the Timeline in MC, considering that you take in mind the Creator's quotes.
So, see?Right now it hinders more than helps

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I'll go through the list of the "dubiously canon" games from the first post and give my spheal about the level of canon in each game.

Oracle of Ages/Seasons are both most definitely canon.

Four Swords is canon. People will be weird and question this, but few of them come up with and post their own timeline.

Four Swords Adventures is most definitely canon, even if Four Swords isn't.

The Minish Cap is also most definitely canon. Some people consider none of the Four Swords trilogy canon, with no justification as to why Nintendo would make The Minish Cap a normal Zelda game and not be canon. Generally, it's all the ones made and published by Nintendo that are canon.

Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is probably canon material. I haven't played it myself, and I doubt it really makes any huge difference when it comes to the timeline, but I remember reading something on the forums mentioning that it ties in at the end somehow (as to how, no details were given).

Tingle's Balloon Fight DS doesn't really follow any sort of story, and thus has no reason to be canon. If you say it is, all that proves is that, at times, Tingle likes to go fly on his balloons and do whatever is done in Balloon Fight (which I've never played or watched either version of, so I'm not entierly positive on how it works.) This game was also of exclusive obtainability to certain people in Japan for preording Thing's Rosy Rupeeland or something like that (not absolutely sure what it was).

Link's Crossbow Training, like Tingle's Balloon Fight DS, doesn't follow a story, so you can't really say this is or isn't canon. It would only prove that Link has a crossbow and occasionaly goes to fight enemies.

BS The Legend of Zelda is a remake of a canon Zelda game, so the only thing in this game they added (besides enhanced graphics) that isn't canon would be the fact that the character you control is the mascot for the whole sattelite system. It's definitely Link in the canon story.

Ancient Stone Tablets is something that I'd call canon. It was made and released by Nintendo just like all the canon Zelda games, so I don't see why not (Japan Only is a horrible reason for why not). In fact, it does prove some things about the timeline, one being the fact that Link's Awakening is, in fact, a direct sequel to A Link to the Past. The other would be (if I recall what I read correctly) the fact that Ganon is dead after Link defeats him, instead of exploding but still being alive, which makes little to no sense.

As for Zelda Game & Watch (2 Games), I'm not really sure how the story in this works. If it's the same as the original Legend of Zelda, then of course it's canon. If it's not, I think it probably falls under "poor follow-up" story-wise, leaving it as NOT canon, like most all of the Game & Watch games for their respective series.

The Valiant Comic Series, I believe, has been suggested to be canon at Zelda Wiki, simply because it follows up the the original two games and doesn't really shake many plot details, making it stand there making no difference. I don't believe they ever intended anything like the comic series to be canon, though, mostly because the comic belongs to a third party and isn't really fully Nintendo-approved. I can't see them putting it in their official timeline.

The Catoon Series is pretty much the same deal as the Comic Series, except for one detail. Like the comic, the cartoon is made and released by a third party and is unlikely to be considered canon by Nintendo. In addition, I know they do throw around details about Ganon and the Triforce, so it might be harder to place comfortably. Plus, the story flows a lot like a TV-type story, which I hate with a passion.

The CD-I Games are obviously not canon. I don't need to elaborate.

As for the Super Smash Bros. games: there would be no reason for the first two to be canon, as they have no story. Brawl, however, actually has a story involving all the characters (except for the last three you unlock - plus, Sonic doesn't do much). I expect Nintendo considers this to influence most of their series; however, this is in another world, so its existance doesn't do much to the whole Zelda timeline. It might show something about the relations between Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf and involve the Master Sword being drawn again for some time, but it has no trouble fitting after Twilight Princess without shaking much. It does show Ganondorf alive and well, but I think this only shows that people can reach that world after they die (which explains the absence of his huge scar in his belly). The Subspace Emissary is something I consider connected to all of Nintendo's worlds (by characters alone), so I'm not about the be shaken on this.

Soul Calibur 2 isn't canon in Zelda. The first post points out that "the story fits," which I'm sure it does. This game is not made or released by Nintendo, however, and Link's appearance is completely meant as a cameo (all the characters as cameos in Smash Bros. is an entirely different story).

Navi Trackers was a sort of mini game (not a mini-game) packed in Four Swords Adventures. I think that this, like Shadow Battle, is meant as something fun to do with multiple players in addition to the main story. The game that it comes in altogether is definitely canon, but the fact that Tetra appears in Navi Trackers does make it a bit uncomfortable. I doubt it has any significance and is really only meant as a cameo. Spirit Tracks has some chance of explaining something about the Four Sword, possibly making this more canon, but that's a bit too early to call. (Note: Considering The Minish Cap before the split and Four Swords + Four Swords Adventures on the Child Timeline, we don't know what happens to the Four Sword in the Adult Timeline.)

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
TRR, right now, is kinda pointless to consider as canon or not.
Maybe in the future it'll be easier necessary to help understand some stuff, but, if it was considered canon, there would be some clashes, for example:

According to the Salona dialogues, it had to be AFTER OoX, yet, it shows how Tingle came to be.
Tingle firstly appears in the Timeline in MC, considering that you take in mind the Creator's quotes.
So, see?Right now it hinders more than helps

No but another essential point of TRR is that it shows that there are more than one Tingle. There are several. So, not every Tingle we see, is necessarily the same one.

Also, do you have these quotes? It'd be interesting to see.

I agree with most of your opinions, Caleb of Asui, except for a few here.

Ancient Stone Tablets is something that I'd call canon. It was made and released by Nintendo just like all the canon Zelda games, so I don't see why not (Japan Only is a horrible reason for why not).

First, AST's main character is a boy (or girl) apparently from the real world who wakes up in Hyrule somehow. Zelda calls him/her the Hero of Light. The game is fun and the story is quite interesting, but the intent I got from playing it was that it wanted to make the player feel as if they themselves actually warped to Hyrule and became the Hero of Light. Of course, this was always the intent with the Link character himself, but Link is no where to be found. The stories told of Link throughout the game are canon, but the dungeons have been completely switched around, some have been added to areas that did not have dungeons before. Also, I think the fact that it was only released in Japan is a good reason to not consider it canon. Whether or not the series is from Japan, that leaves out the majority of the Zelda players in PAL and U territories (as well as any other place that didn't recieve the game). Its not a good idea to have a canon game floating around that is essential to the storyline of the series and not let everyone have a fair chance to play it and learn about it.

In fact, it does prove some things about the timeline, one being the fact that Link's Awakening is, in fact, a direct sequel to A Link to the Past. The other would be (if I recall what I read correctly) the fact that Ganon is dead after Link defeats him, instead of exploding but still being alive, which makes little to no sense.

I don't see how it proves that LA is a sequel. I am in agreeance that LA is definitely the direct sequel of ALttP, but nothing in AST (aside from Link's absense) would stand as proof of LA being a sequel. Just as many people will argue that he left to go to Holodrum and Labrynna. Also, the story about Ganon was very similar to the one used in OoX in that Ganon came back, but was not fully resurected. I don't exactly remember how he accomplished this, but either way he is there as the last boss. He also has all of the same powers he had in ALttP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom