• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Game Was Darker, Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess?

Which is darker, Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess?

• Majora's Mask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight Princess

• Tie Between the Two

• Total voters
They are both dark in there own ways. MM showed death and the Hylians basically gave up on saving themselfs. TP is more deppresing and it shows blood in the battel with Ganon and kids getting kidnaped knights dying and it had a much darker atmosphere so I would have to say TP.

Majora's Mask definitely. I love the game, but it has a creeper factor. The mask salesman spazzing out, some of the enemies, certain masks, the whole destruction of the world, etc. LOL.

N

NaviSays

Majora's mask was kinda dark the way character would die and leave behind a mask, but i gotta say twilight princess is darker. Twilight Princess had a dark setting.

P

Pm88

majoras mask by far. You know the end is coming and if you just stand there the world will eventually come to and end. You could watch the world fall apart before your very eyes. In twilight princess the world doesnt really end its just miserable for the people living there.

majora's mask definitely beats twilight princess with the moon crashing into the earth, but the feel that twilight princess gives out is a lot darker.

L

linksters

Have you even played Majora's mask JohnsonKe6 ? A lot of people die, in fact the whole town is killed if the moon falls.
You also witness the death of Mikau (the zora guy). You also talk to spirits (of dead people) and even interact with skeletal beings using the captains hat.
Nope, no death at all.

LumiGem

He gave me LOADED DICE!
For me, MM definitely takes the cake.
I would have said there's a tie between the two, but just because TP has a dark theme, dosen't mean it's dark exactly.

Overall, I'd argue that Majora's Mask is a darker game than Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess was a very monotone experience which squandered most of the potential it had for leaving a lasting emotional impression on the player. Zant was the title's best bet for developing the dark atmosphere however his discarding about half way through the story rendered him an ineffective antagnoist.

How much darker can you get than a world set to be destroyed in 72 hours? Majora's Mask was also a very poignant and heartfelt experience. More so than any other Zelda game you connected with the characters knowing they would be soon annihilated. Twilight Princess certainly was doom and gloom with Zant and the Twili, however, I never felt that same urgency especially with most of the characters seeming unmoved with the devastation around them.

At this point, I'd like to highlight some very dark moments from both games and highlight why the ones in Majora's Mask were more dismal than those in Twilight Princess. As mentioned before, TP certainly had its fair share, however, that same appeal to pathos found in Majora's Mask was largely missing. Sure seeing Zant and the Twili for the first time, Link turn into a wolf, and Ganondorf slay the sage of water was "dark" so to say but that paled in comparison to stumbling into Termina and being mutated into a Deku Scrub, seeing the murderous and corrupted Skull Kid on top of the Clock Tower, laying eyes on the moon for the first time, and knowing Cremia deceived her younger sister, Romani, to protect her from the hopeless future. It's the emotional appeal and exceptional character development that make Majora's Mask a much darker game than Twilight Princess.

boyrobot22

PhAnToMgUArDiAn
Majora's Mask, definitely. I mean, the land of Termina has to wait for it's impending doom as a cursed moon flies out of nowhere to crush it. They have to live their lives OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER until Link saves the Giants. The things that happen to Link and his friends are cruel and twisted. Majora seems to have total disregard for this world. It's just very dark and twisted. Twilight Princess was really good, but couldn't really live up to all the emo-ness of Majora's Mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom