• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What're your views on traditional martial arts?

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Taekwondo is ok. But ain't no way Karate is an effective combat sport
To be fair, there are hundreds of different schools of Karate. Some are definitely more adapted to modern combat than others. Even so karate in general stands out in standing combat due to having a fair amount of striking techniques in its repertoire.

If you want something for like an UFC competition you probably need to complement it with other arts that involve grappling because the fight often ends on the ground, but I personally don't think Karate is ineffective by itself to get that necessary first strike in or in an every day situation. Iirc, a decent chunk of competitive fighters even have some background on it.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
To be fair, there are hundreds of different schools of Karate. Some are definitely more adapted to modern combat than others. Even so karate in general stands out in standing combat due to having a fair amount of striking techniques in its repertoire.

If you want something for like an UFC competition you probably need to complement it with other arts that involve grappling because the fight often ends on the ground, but I personally don't think Karate is ineffective by itself to get that necessary first strike in or in an every day situation. Iirc, a decent chunk of competitive fighters even have some background on it.
The only issue I find with karate is that even in the most combat heavy versions, they don't allow punches to the face, so I think Muay Thai is more complete.

That said, Wonderboy is trained in karate, and he does just fine, so there's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom