• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What Was It for You?

Go_Dark_Link

If there ever was one
(First, sorry if there is a thread like this but I looked and couldn't find one)

So Ocarina of Time. I've seen many threads asking what was your favorite character, what was your favorite temple, your favorite song....but the game itself. What is it that appealed to so many fans? What of the game makes it such a great game to you? What about it is so great it has been voted the best Zelda game ever? To me, this is totally true. I have always loved OoT since I first was introduced to it when I was 4. It has always been my favorite, not only Zelda, but favorite videogame of them all. I'm not really sure why it is. Maybe the amazing music, or the great storyline. Maybe it the thrill of the puzzles and the temples that make it so fabulous. Maybe even, just the pure fact that it was my first videogame contributes to my deep love to it. But enough about me, I made this thread cause I was wondering, what was it for you? What is it that makes you love the game overall? (By this I mean the original game from the N64, not the 3DS)

Big Octo

=^)
When OoT came out, I was amazed. The graphics (at that time) were beautiful, the story was solid, the action was breath-taking, and the characters were golden. It was a pinnacle of games, and I believe that it still is. The gameplay demonstrated the mechanics of a masterpiece, and it really raised the bar for Video Games standards. I've loved the game from the very beginning.

D

Deleted member 14134

At the time it brought so many new ideas and concepts to gaming and was just built so well all around. From the moment you watch that opening scene you knew you were playing something special even if that was 5 years after it came out. It was amazing back in the day and it still is today. History isnt always as kind to games but it seems to have favoured this game.

MW7

For me I'd say it was the gameplay, puzzles, and dungeons. I never got tired of playing it because of how well these aspects of the game were put together. I played a lot of video games before Ocarina of Time and a lot of video games after it, but no game is as replayable to me as Ocarina is. Now I know the dungeons like the back of my hand, but there are still things to discover. For instance just last year I found out how to skip the door to the central tower in the Water Temple. Then I learned about the high grab and from there I figured out how to beat the Temple without the bow. It's little things like that which make the game so amazing to me.

Ocarina of Time was also the first game for me that felt truly immersive. It was like exploring a real place. I don't mean to knock 2D games but just the fact that Ocarina of Time was the first 3D Zelda game makes it so memorable.

Keep in mind that despite having nothing but praise for Ocarina of Time, I would say that it's not even my favorite video game or even favorite Zelda game. I'd say Majora's Mask is the superior game, but you can't really compare perfection with other perfection IMO.

Garo

Boy Wonder
For me I'd say it was the gameplay, puzzles, and dungeons. I never got tired of playing it because of how well these aspects of the game were put together. I played a lot of video games before Ocarina of Time and a lot of video games after it, but no game is as replayable to me as Ocarina is. Now I know the dungeons like the back of my hand, but there are still things to discover. For instance just last year I found out how to skip the door to the central tower in the Water Temple. Then I learned about the high grab and from there I figured out how to beat the Temple without the bow. It's little things like that which make the game so amazing to me.

Ocarina of Time was also the first game for me that felt truly immersive. It was like exploring a real place. I don't mean to knock 2D games but just the fact that Ocarina of Time was the first 3D Zelda game makes it so memorable.

Keep in mind that despite having nothing but praise for Ocarina of Time, I would say that it's not even my favorite video game or even favorite Zelda game. I'd say Majora's Mask is the superior game, but you can't really compare perfection with other perfection IMO.

This is a really good summary, especially the bit about Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time is a perfect game - it succeeds in atmosphere, visuals, sound, music, gameplay, and story. Majora's Mask is a perfect game, succeeding in those same areas - but in different ways that I (and others) find more appealing.

I love Ocarina of Time because it is a very deep game with a lot to do, and it never loses its value on replay.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
For me, it was the everything. Hearing Hyrule Field for the first time just took me away, and since the first time I played I was 3, I actually felt like I was Link. Since playing OoT back then, it's just the best game ever. Nowadays, I really enjoy the replayability (so many different kinds of challenges!), the items being reused consistently, and the boss battles are still engaging. I imagine it will stay that way on OoT3D but I haven't played it yet x)

T

TGzeldafreak

Everything. The graphics didnt bug me at all... I just loved the story, the dungeons, creepy boss battles, and the collecting missions and sidequests. =) it was all awesome to me. I sucked at it when i was 13 but i just have so many fond memories of that game.... =)

I have always loved OoT since I first was introduced to it when I was 4. It has always been my favorite, not only Zelda, but favorite videogame of them all. I'm not really sure why it is. Maybe the amazing music, or the great storyline. Maybe it the thrill of the puzzles and the temples that make it so fabulous. Maybe even, just the pure fact that it was my first videogame contributes to my deep love to it. (By this I mean the original game from the N64, not the 3DS)
thats pretty much the same for me

Im not mad about Graphics but when i saw the game it was fantastic.
The landscapes looked so beautiful you felt you where really there when playing it.

There where also the sidequests like giving the masks to the correct people also finding all the Skulltulas.
The introduction of adding a horse Epona i thought was a very good idea.

There where things you needed Epona for like the Archery game in Gerudo valley jumping over the broken bridge in Gerudo valley.
I also liked how you could travel back and forward through time and there where only certain things you could collect and use in one world that you could not use in the other.

No matter how many times i play it i never tire of it, i remember i played it for six months straight playing it every day.
The music in the game is just right for every area,it just captures each place correctly in terms of where you are.
This game is second only to my favourite Zelda game Link to the Past.

Fede-hime

All about the treasure
What makes me love the game so much and makes me keep playing it over and over? Hmmm...... The time traveling concept grabbed me. I loved the music and the story. And certain characters just appealed to me. I play it again and again just to face off with Ganondorf on top of his tower. I'm not sure if OoT is my top fave Zelda game, but I do love it dearly.

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
Well, when I first played OoT, I played it on the GC because LoZ Collector's edition was the first game I got. I got my GC for Christmas, when I was about 5 (or however old I was). First thing that caught my eye was the Zelda case. I opened it up and popped the game in, saw a bunch of random games, and my mom pointed out OoT. She said that it was a really fun game. I looked at her and said how do you know? Well, it turns out she had been playing the game before I had even received the GC... I found that out when I opened up the file named "Mom" and saw I was in the middle of the Forest Temple. After awhile I got sick of being called Mom so I made a new file and when the game began I was like WTF? How come he's a kid? :lol:

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I first got the N64 when i was 4. It was my older brother's and he showed me how to play Ocarina of Time. I was hooked right from the start. :lol: i remember spending days on end paying OoT with my brother. He finished his save before me, so he deleted it and started a new one. Well, me being me, i deleted both mine AND his save, so we both had to start over! :lol:
The N64 brought me and my older brother together in a way that made us see each other in a new perspective. So now here i am, me 13, my brother 31, and i'm still going over to his house and we're still taking turns playing Zelda games. Thank you Nintendo 64 and Ocarina of Time, for bringing my brother and i together. ^^

Last edited:

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
me was its was fun the forest temple and fire are memorial for me because their fun! but the fire temple is kinda different from when i remembered it, but the thing was i couldn't beat it! never could from 5 to 14 then i beat earlier this year about 10 times because i can tell the game I BEAT YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN!!

P

Pindar Draconia

This is also my favorite. I put away OoT for a few months, ... but then, ... I hear it calling to me.... 'Have you forgotten me?' I can't leave it! I... must... play! I think I have played it 500 times! No! More! Playing it on GC is not as fun, though. I love the Easter Eggs! Playing a kind of Mario game in it rocks! Getting the different clothes is also great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom