• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What SHOULDN'T Nintendo Do with SS?

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm sure there are many things many of you don't want to see in Skyward Sword. I know there are many posts about what people WANT to see in SS, but I haven't seen one about what people DON'T want to see.

For example, Tingle.

Or Kaepora Gaebora. I'm sure many of us don't want to see HIM again.

And also, a character I personally don't like, the postman from TP. If SS has a letter/mail system.

This isn't limited to just characters though. It could be anything. The style of a dungeon you didn't like, a type of sidequest you thought was frustrating...

Or in my case, NOT BEING ABLE TO LOSE YOUR SHEILD. Yeah, I'm talking to YOU, Wind Waker. I'm a guy who thinks it's more fun (and more challenging) to fight without a sheild.

What're some things you guys don't wanna see repeated in Skyward Sword?

Djinn

and Tonic
The overwhelming priority in my mind is I really hope they do not introduce another main villain of the story with a motivation all their own. Only to have Ganondorf appear from out of nowhere in the third act again, shifting all momentum to Link must defeat Ganondorf who was the "real" mastermind behind it all. This has been done enough times in the past, and from a fanbase that is already getting tired of the same old with Ganon over and over again are only worn down even more when he appears and completely overshadows the new interesting villainous character. Either introduce him from the beginning or leave him out completely, but do not have him come out of the shadows as soon as the established villain is defeated.

Another thing I would want removed are the totally gimmick bosses. This has been a conversation in other threads for the last few days and I think it is still appropriate here. SS allows for a larger focus on combat but this means little when each boss requires a special item used just to reveal the weak spot on it's tongue or the back of it's head. Using a hookshot over and over again to exploit a weakness does not make for a good boss fight in my mind.

The linear style gameplay, I would like this to be dropped as well. TP and WW were very bad about this and especially for the Zelda series which began as one of the first games to allow the player to wonder anywhere they wanted to go. And enter any dungeon they wished. But in TT and WW you were herded from one dungeon to the next, normally requiring some character interaction to open the next dungeon allowing you to enter. It seemed that most important named NPCs only existed to open up the very next dungeon in specific order. And Link had to go through these miniquests to be capable of entering the next dungeon. They were great for the story, and allowed for a lot of character interaction that was absent from previous games. But requiring these sequences to move on took away the non linearity that the series was so well known for.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The overwhelming priority in my mind is I really hope they do not introduce another main villain of the story with a motivation all their own. Only to have Ganondorf appear from out of nowhere in the third act again, shifting all momentum to Link must defeat Ganondorf who was the "real" mastermind behind it all. This has been done enough times in the past, and from a fanbase that is already getting tired of the same old with Ganon over and over again are only worn down even more when he appears and completely overshadows the new interesting villainous character. Either introduce him from the beginning or leave him out completely, but do not have him come out of the shadows as soon as the established villain is defeated.

I agree with you on that. TP introduced Zant and gave him his own story and motivation, and then randomly revealed that Ganondorf was behind it all. The direct sequels seem to do a better job with that. Although, in MM, Skull Kid was the bad guy in the beginning, but then it's revealed that Majora's Mask was CONTROLLING Skull Kid the whole time. So basically, Majora takes the place of Ganon. Phantom Hourglass is the best example I can think of. It introduced a new antagonist, Bellum (although he wasn't properly intoduced untill you got Tetra off the Ghost Ship), and Bellum wasn't replaced by another mastermind who was contolling him.

The linear style gameplay, I would like this to be dropped as well. TP and WW were very bad about this and especially for the Zelda series which began as one of the first games to allow the player to wonder anywhere they wanted to go. And enter any dungeon they wished. But in TT and WW you were herded from one dungeon to the next, normally requiring some character interaction to open the next dungeon allowing you to enter. It seemed that most important named NPCs only existed to open up the very next dungeon in specific order. And Link had to go through these miniquests to be capable of entering the next dungeon. They were great for the story, and allowed for a lot of character interaction that was absent from previous games. But requiring these sequences to move on took away the non linearity that the series was so well known for.

I agree with you on that too. Although, I think Majora's Mask is the best example. For me, anyway. You couldn't enter any dungeon you want right away, but if you apply my technique I call, "Go in the Dungeon, Get the Item, Then Get the Hell Out", plus the Song of Time, then you technically CAN. But I do understand which games specifically you were talking about. LoZ, AoL, etc.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I disagree with everything you said, TS. =P Those are all my favorite characters!

My biggest issue will be the conflict between original story and existing themes. No doubt they're going to want to create many new things they can build from in future titles, much like they did with WW->ST (New Hyrule) and TP (Oocca, interlopers). I also want to see some ties to past themes, like those introduced in TP for example. But if they try too hard with the past themes and they end up invading the new ones, like Ganondorf did in TP, then the new story will be spoiled. Part of me wants a completely new story that does nothing but set up for OoT, if even that, because I think that will be the safest way to make the game good. Just focus on gameplay, add a good story to it, make sure it's consistent with the universe, and leave it at that. I don't want them to force in existing themes just for the sake of connecting the games at the expense of the story. It's not that I don't want to see those major connections, I just wanted to expand and generalize on Djinn's first point.

Caeda

Keyblade Master
-Tingle: I will not be happy if he is in any other game

-The postman's style in TP: I don't hate him, but what is up with those shorts?

-I do not want them to take out octorocs like they did in TP because they are awesome

-No horseback Ganondorf battle (It was awesome, but it took me three tries to beat it)

-Changing into another creature, it wouldn't fit into the style of the game

-No event where you have to pay a ridiculous amount of rupees to proceed

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

G

Gaspra

Ice. I cannot say it enough. PLEASE NO ICE THEMED DUNGEON. My absolute least favorite type of dungeon in Zelda. I know it is a staple, but I am so sick of sliding around and moving slowly. They used it to death in TP. Heavens, I'd rather have a dungeon with composed entirely of redeads and wallmasters than go through another Ice dungeon.

What they should not do. This is a fantastic thread for a pessimist like me with whorribal spelling. lol
They should not:
-include ganon. They need to make something fresh. Link believe it or not, is actually really cool on his own. Think about it. He's this athletic beast that uses intelligence and stategy to deafeat colossal monsters. We don't need ganon to have an awesome Link. We need super powered scary stuff. Like dead hands who desperately needs a comeback. He was scary as hell. We could have a bunch of towns being raided by these early monsters (like volvagia) and link would need to destroy them all in order to win. This leads to...
-linear gameplay. If link were just taking down some monsters then we would be able to have non-linear gameplay. Some monsters might only be taken down by a weapon that , you guessed it, is not found in that dungeon. Discovery folks. We shouldn't have to deal with
-Predictable dungeons. Which consist of a sub quest to get in the dungeon, then the dungeon, we get the weapon, and kill the boss with said weapon. I say, hell no! Let's spice it up a bit. How awesome would that be if you get to the boss and you realize that you don't have the tools to beat the boss. So you have to get out of there or face death. It would add exploration to the game. It would be epic but more importantly it wouldn't be
-predictable. Seriously. Nintendo needs to go out on a limb here and do something truly unexpected. Just as long as it isn't a regurgitation of the same material. Let me tell you folks, the key to survival is adaptability. For all you right winger zelda fans let me tell you, if zelda was still 2D, we wouldn't have Zelda. So for all of you who think that Zelda must include Zelda, Ganon, and Link in my opinion, you are wrong. All Zelda needs is link, a midevil setting, and a kick-ask idea. We witnessed this with majora's mask. That's why so many people are now rating it as there favorite zelda; it is a breather from the same OOT gameplay.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Nintendo SHOULDN'T release Skyward Sword on a double-layer disc. Although I have a Wii cleaning disc, I think everyone knows abott Wii's problems with reading DL discs. If the newest Zelda will be on a DL disc, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy, it WILL be less successful.

I agree I hate the Zelda+Ganon=Link Saves the day I think that if they wanted to make it halfway decent to make it two discs almost like a final fantasy. I agree to hell with ice-themes. lets slip and slide into the abyss. I think the dungeons should change meaning you open door A versus B etc and you get different difficulties based on the door you pick or one where you have spinning rooms and you have to use your sword or some weapon to stop it spinning. I would like puzzles where you have to line up a pattern which then opens a door almost like the golden gates in TP if we have to have the ice-theme at least give us something so we don't slip and slide. I would love saving towns where you actually get information and hyrule bands together rather than link doing all the heavy lifting.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Ice. I cannot say it enough. PLEASE NO ICE THEMED DUNGEON. My absolute least favorite type of dungeon in Zelda. I know it is a staple, but I am so sick of sliding around and moving slowly. They used it to death in TP. Heavens, I'd rather have a dungeon with composed entirely of redeads and wallmasters than go through another Ice dungeon.
I love Ice puzzles. I think EAD needs to take notes on Pokémon's ice puzzles. They seem very Zelda-like, and yet I have yet to see such extensive Ice block-pushing puzzles in Zelda. TP had a few small ones, and I think OoT or MM had an interesting one, but none beat the ones you find in Pokémon caves.

M

Midnafan80521

Call me crazy but I don't want to see Zelda again. Yes, I know it's called "Legend of Zelda" however why can't Link save someone who isn't named Zelda? You know like Adele or something I dunno I just want something all new.

Secondly, why must there be dungeons I mean seriously you don't see dungeons in everyday life, so why would I want them in LoZ? What I want is just areas that you don't even know its a dungeon. Oh and one more thing please not another Earth, Fire, Water set up. Heck have a clay temple for all I care just don't do that usual order of things! Okay, along with that I agree with the person who talked about using the said dungeon item to defeat the boss. Why not get the item in the dungeon prior to the current one, by that I mean get megaton hammer in Forest temple, and hook shot in fire temple, while you buy the fairy bow in a shop!

The last thing I want to see is a starter green outfit. I mean since no one else wears the green clothes so why should our hero.

Okay one more thing I lied why should we have to play as Link I mean come on Hero saves the princess so cliche. I think you should be able to pick between them! Let Zelda be the peasant and Link be the damsel in distress. Also why shouldn't you be able to pick your own horse or even get a random horse every time you call your horse. Anyway yes it sounds crazy but I'm sure some of you get my point.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Call me crazy but I don't want to see Zelda again. Yes, I know it's called "Legend of Zelda" however why can't Link save someone who isn't named Zelda? You know like Adele or something I dunno I just want something all new.

Secondly, why must there be dungeons I mean seriously you don't see dungeons in everyday life, so why would I want them in LoZ? What I want is just areas that you don't even know its a dungeon. Oh and one more thing please not another Earth, Fire, Water set up. Heck have a clay temple for all I care just don't do that usual order of things! Okay, along with that I agree with the person who talked about using the said dungeon item to defeat the boss. Why not get the item in the dungeon prior to the current one, by that I mean get megaton hammer in Forest temple, and hook shot in fire temple, while you buy the fairy bow in a shop!

The last thing I want to see is a starter green outfit. I mean since no one else wears the green clothes so why should our hero.

Okay one more thing I lied why should we have to play as Link I mean come on Hero saves the princess so cliche. I think you should be able to pick between them! Let Zelda be the peasant and Link be the damsel in distress. Also why shouldn't you be able to pick your own horse or even get a random horse every time you call your horse. Anyway yes it sounds crazy but I'm sure some of you get my point.

Yeah I get your point. I agree on most of these things you brought up. You should start your own thread about it.

Yeah, Midnafan80521 is, in my opinion correct on a lot of things. I actually dislike zelda's character. It's true. I think she is an overall boring and useless character. And let's face it, a more appropriate name is The Legend of Link. That's because as the series progressed, it became more and more about Link who actually became a character in my eyes.
Elemental themed temples are sort of cool...the first hundered times lol. It's really time to progress into some new temple idea's. I agree and disagree with Midnafan80521 about not being temples. I think temples are sort of the way a Zelda game is set up. Does that mean every time there is a problem we need a temple? I say heck no! Variety makes a game fun so while I think temples are a staple of Zelda, I think some quests without a dungeon would provide a nice change of pace.
I like Link's tunic tough. It's BAMF!
And for anyone who is wondering how "Zelink" dislikes Zelda's character, let me tell you; I dispise those little fan couple things. My idea for Ze Link was to sound like a french guy pronouncing "The Link" Je parle un peu le francais. Mercy beacoup.

Caeda

Keyblade Master
Yeah, Midnafan80521 is, in my opinion correct on a lot of things. I actually dislike zelda's character. It's true. I think she is an overall boring and useless character. And let's face it, a more appropriate name is The Legend of Link. That's because as the series progressed, it became more and more about Link who actually became a character in my eyes.

You think Zelda has no character at all. You are so wrong. Even if you can't see any personality in the Wind Waker or Spirit Tracks (and I don't see how you can''t), you can at least agree that she has more personality then Peach has ever had. And as for useless, she is basically the reason the Links in WW and ST are alive. She also helps Link out FOR THE ENTIRE GAME in ST and helps you defeat Ganon in OoT, WW, FSA, and TP.

I sorta agree with the fact that the series should be called The Legend of Link, but there's one little problem: it would be abreviated LoL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom