• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Myths captivate you?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Our Literature is filled with various myths of deities, Demi-gods, humans, and mythical creatures. What myths do you like best?

---

I've always liked Greek/Roman myths. Ancient Middle Eastern myths like The Epic of Gilgamesh. Celtic myths of Druids I've always found fascinating because they didn't leave written records. Most of what we know about them are found in records written by Julius Ceasar, and from old Irish Sagas.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Christianity is pretty captivating, especially with it's grip on modern society. It's interesting to think how similar it was to how the Romans or Greeks worshiped their gods centuries ago.

I love the Norse legends, they always hold my attention.

I also like urban legends, particularly Japanese ones, little camp fire horror stories with hidden and half truths. Like when a construction job wasn't going well a beautiful woman would be taken and buried within a wall to bless the job.

Also dogs with human faces running alongside cars on motorways.

Mido

Version 1
Mythologies are full of interesting stuff. Now, I'm somewhat cheating for this one, but I find myself enthralled with the mythos surrounding Luo Guanzhong's novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms. A tale that experiments with historical elements as well as fantastical elements takes center stage in the Later Han Dynasty and the century following it (i.e. 184 A.D. to 280 A.D.). I enjoy pondering over the authentic/apocryphal aspects of the novel and discerning what may be true/false. Granted, I was introduced to the story via Dynasty Warriors, but it is this very story that keeps me coming back to the series! It's quite a show!

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm a huge fan of mythology, I have read a lot of Norse and Celtic but it gets hard. When both are filled with lots and lots of modern interpretation crap and other new literature stuff, it seriously muddles the old myths. But there is a lot more stuff to it than the same old stories of the gods that get tossed around all the time. Plenty of various sorcerer kings that had to be removed by force, and half giant heroes.

Finnish mythology is incredibly interesting too. The afterlife is the closest thing to a Tim Burton movie of any that I have ever seen.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Greek is always the first one to pop to mind. The Norse ones sound interesting whenever I hear them, but I don't really know a lot about them. Also, Egyptian myths were huge with me when I was a kid, but I've since lost touch with all that stuff. Also, Arthurian legends.

Since early childhood I've been captivated by Egyptian, Greek, and Celtic (King Arthur and Merlin) mythology. My favorite tale is of Troy, though I have yet to read the Iliad. I collect all books that I find on the subjects from thrift stores and whatnot.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Celtic mythology is interesting and I used to like Greek mythology. I'm not hugely into these things though. I am hugely into history and although myths have their own part in it, I'm much more interested in people's lives than the stories they told. People are forgetting fairytales though, they are like European mythology almost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom