• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Link Gets for Saving Hyrule

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I really didn't know what I should of put for the title, just so you know.
I've been thinking lately about how people react about Link saving Hyrule. Like, I know the party they throw at the end of OOT, but that's it. What I'm asking is for you to tell me how you think the people of Hyrule would show their gratitude towards Link when he saves them. I think they would make a statue of him. Just please tell me your ideas. Thank You!:cat:

The best answer? Shouldn't expect something in return.
"Being a hero is its own reward"
Another reason to hate the cartoon version is that "Link" always wanted something in return for his acts of heroics. I like to think that what Link gets is a greater sense of confidence, courage and skill, so he doesn't need any kind of reward for saving Hyrule. That said, I do think people of Hyrule would still show gratitude in some way, my guess is the same way the valley shows its appreciation to Po in Kung Fu Panda 2.

I'd wager he gets something very similar to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or some similar condition. After all, realistically it'd be very difficult to readjust to one's mundane, normal life after having slaughtered hundreds of beasts, monsters, ghosts, etc. Not to mention the terrible things he's seen the denizens of Hyrule (or wherever else) go through. But this is Zelda of which I speak, so all this is irrelevant from that perspective. Plus, it wouldn't be much of a "reward", so much as it'd be a burden.

Anyway, as stated by DuelMark, I'd imagine Link being very humble and request that others not reward him for his deeds. If anything, there would likely be a grand celebration as seen at the end of Ocarina of Time and/or he'd receive notoriety among the populace of Hyrule. A statue or two might also be erected in his honor as well, as JJ mentions with the Hero of Time statue in The Wind Waker. I few other things I could think of in addition to the above might vary from Link to Link. For example, SS Link might have been "rewarded" knighthood at the conclusion of his journey, as the plot said game strongly suggests. To reiterate, in the end, being a hero is its own reward.

Last edited by a moderator:

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
He gets the self-satisfaction that comes from saving a whole group of peoples from evil. :)
Also he gets acknowledgement from everybody around him for saving them and goes down in history as a legend and a hero.
Anyways, even if he does get relatively little praise for his actions, he has gone on a great adventure that few others will have experienced, travelled the world, and uncovered its many mysteries. It doesn't get much better than that.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
If he plays his cards right, a kiss from Princess Zelda,
The Goddess Hylia
;)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Honestly, I doubt that Link would want any sort of reward for saving Hyrule. I can say this because that's how I, as the player, perceive his character to be. In every title I've played it comes off as him being willing to undertake the task, no matter how daunting. Link is a humble individual by nature and through each reincarnation of himself. This has become evident in the beginning of every home console game, at least, most of all, I daresay, in the previous two. It was TP where the Light Spirit Faron spoke of Twilight descending over the land that Link realized the gravity of it, and he nodded, acceptant of his destiny. And in Skyward Sword he assumed the role of the chosen hero, devoid of any hesitation. Both point to his meekness and abundance in courage, which he follows through with to ensure none are harmed.

As for Link, he may or may not get anything other than the eternal gratification of Hyrule's inhabitants. But seeing as though there were only two Hylians at the end of a certain, recent-ish game, I know Link was able to live the rest of his life with a friend as they saw a kingdom being established.

What's ironic is a statue of the Hero of Time is in Hyrule Castle in WW.

Only making a point out of this... Anyone who's played Wind Waker--or at least viewed the intro--knows that a Hero hadn't appeared in Hyrule for a very long time (maybe a century +). During that dark period the denizens of Hyrule could only memorialize the most recent Link: the Hero of Time. About then they probably started the custom of all youths wearing green at a certain age and I imagine that's where they built the monument of Link, since the hope of seeing him one day return seemed scarce. So, in a way, Link had the statue made of himself without asking for it.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
To be honest, I've always liked the disappearing Hero thing, where he leaves right after to explore new lands. The ending where his adventures are written down, and his legacy kept in the hearts of the people he saved.

I don't like big parties or celebrations being held for him. If he just stays, being recognized as the "Hero" he doesn't have an opportunity to just be himself and do as he pleases.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Ok. when I said he might get a statue I never said he would of asked for it. I was just thinking the people of hyrule would do that for him and that he might acculy be surprised. Now that I said that I hope you understand.

Well, as I said, I think it would be like with Kung Fu Panda 2 in how they treat Po after he saved them from Tai Lung. They would regard him as a celebrity but because of his responsibilities he wouldn't let it go to his head.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Just the satisfaction that he saved everyones lives. A true hero doesn't need anything in return for just living up to his destiny. However, a kiss from the princess would be nice to have every so often. :P

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
It depends upon what fanfic I'm writing. *Grin*

I usually make Link the kind of guy whose humility doesn't let him be awash in glory. If people want to celebrate him, it's pretty much their business. He'd rather go back to living a quiet life or go off exploring, or go forth to find new people to help.

In one of my fan fiction stories that was "postgame" - I had TP Link beat it out of Hyrule and head off into an untamed wilderness where he took on a new name and helps travelers because he *didn't* want to be forced to be what he's not (a man of court or put on a pedastal). In some of my stories, Link is alright becoming a man of court because it means he gets to marry Zelda and take care of Hyrule, but even in those stories, he doesn't put on kingly airs.

In one of my stories (a long, original-adventure type) Link is given a statue in his honor - but Zelda does that for him as a memorial because she watched him die and she wanted him to be remembered - (only it turned he didn't die, he shows up, sees the statue and is *embarassed* about it, but allows it to stand for the sake of the artist that created it and because Zelda likes it).

In short, in my mind, Link doesn't seek glory, but if it makes people happy, he'll let them do what makes them happy because when it comes down to it, he cares about people.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I think that being a hero means that you shouldn't need areward for your deeds, but I guess he deserves something. Mybe a statue, or some rupees. But I guess he doesn't rupees.;) Being a legend was probably good enough, though I do see the people of Hyrule honoring him in just everyday life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom