• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Keeps You with the Zelda Series to This Day?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Just the thrill of (usually) returning to Hyrule and setting out on a new adventure. I haven't experienced a bad Zelda game yet, and I probably never will (although it's possible). Some aren't as good as others, of course -- The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass -- but it's ultimately games like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Minish Cap, and Skyward Sword that keep me craving more Zelda games in the future. The games are just a blast to play for better or for worse. (For the most part.) It's pretty much as simple as that.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Nostalgia plays a big part in it for me, and the fact that they still make really good games for the series. No other game has ever given me the same feeling as Zelda does, and it's also one of the series that I can replay over and over again while not getting bored of it.

Mostly, the fact that i've played every game to date and I would like to reexperience the feeling of playing ocarnia of time for the first time again.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I have to agree with you Ventus. I do the same with complaining about SS, but I stick with the series. Every game pre-SS has given me a great adventure filled with exploration, memorable music, a story that captivated and held me among other things that impressed me. Sure they weren't the best games out there, but they were the best games for people like me. Someone with an imagination, a thirst for a quest with riddle solving and who loves exploring literature. I couldn't believe there was a game like this when I first came to the series. And yet, there it was. Right in front of me the whole time. No matter how much I whine about what could've been done right in a Zelda game, the fact is I just want to keep reliving those experiences that it gave me in the past and I want them to be better than ever. What keeps me in the series is the hope that it'll continue to grow and give me those epic adventures I thirst for time and again.

Ganondork

goo
This is like asking me what keeps me interested in breathing; The Legend of Zelda is a part of me now. As much as I - like you, Ventus - gripe about Skyward Sword, and how the series doesn't feel quite like it did in its 2D games, I still love the series. Lately, I've been listening to "Fi's Gratitude" on YouTube, and I've come to realize that I truly love Skyward Sword. Not because of the gameplay, but because I've found that I can't truly hate a Zelda game. I've found that a comment I've found on YouTube explains this perfectly.

YouTube user said:
As I grow old, Zelda will always be my way out. I'm 16 right now, but I can see myself playing even when I'm 30 (I don't care what people think), because playing this game makes me happy and it will always give me the feeling that I felt when I was young. Zelda forever, I swear. <3

I think that nostalgia is among one of the largest things keeping me interested in the series. I find that whenever I think back at Halloween, I think of playing Four Swords Adventures the day that we decorated my house with Halloween decorations. When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of playing Skyward Sword right before I left for my aunt's. When I think of Christmas, I think of beating A Link to the Past the day we bought our Christmas tree, and getting the Oracle Series on Christmas day. When I think of my own birthday, I think of getting The Minish Cap. It's impossible to imagine a great time of the year without The Legend of Zelda.

I also have always loved the series because of the fact that it has left so much for speculation. It's amazing the amount of theories that can be created because the developers have intentionally left some matters a secret and saved it for later. I'm somewhat happy that they didn't show all of the tricks up their sleeves in Skyward Sword. There were some missed opportunities to clarify subjects here and there, but overall, I was satisfied with what all had been explained. I'll be the first to admit that I love this far more than the amount of information that is divulged in Assassin's Creed, rather than leaving things for theory.

Gameplay in the games have also contributed to a desire to continue playing the games. Gameplay is an important part of the series, and I prefer it over many First-Person Shooters, and other Action/Adventure titles' gameplay. It feels more natural and well-executed. Zelda's combat is not quite my favorite, but I love the puzzles that the game has been doing for decades now. It's not just me who adores this aspect; many games - such as Okami and Darksiders - have emulated Zelda's puzzle solving aspect. It's become a trademark of the series.

I've considered dropping The Legend of Zelda entirely, but I think that it will always hold a special place in my heart. I just can't do it. It's been many months since I last played a Zelda game, but the idea of never playing one again is too sad for me to bear; I could never do it. Like the YouTube user I quoted, I think I'll stay with this series even when I'm older.

Simple, the games are fun to play. The series has a good mix of combat,puzzles,exploration,item collecting and good music. I've been a fan of the series since I played OoT and since then I have loved every single Zelda game. Each Zelda game has its own unique style while at the same time the games stays true to its roots. I could write more but what else can I say? Zelda 4 Life.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Lol why it's the timeline continuity of course!!!

Hrm, do you care to elaborate on this a bit? What about the timeline keeps you with the series? This has piqued my curiosity; if anything I figured the timeline would keep players away from the series due to its lackadaisical connections and lack of what many fans deem "proper" explanation. xD

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Enthralling storylines that make you want to be the hero, storylines that make you go from crying to tensing up for the boss battle , awsome fan base (particularyly Zelda Dungeon ;)), epic battles, awsome side quests, a rich history, really why woudnt you wont to play?

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
Ive been playing Zelda since I was very small. Ive always loved the story line, the battles and watching the game morph over the years. I feel like Zelda is in my blood because of how its always been a part of my life.

Oh. Haha I was being sarcastic. :)

But I am actually one of the few fans who do like the way they sorted out the timeline. I think it makes somewhat sense. Enough for the Zelda universe anyway. And, I would love to see a game where all three timelines conjoin. Kind of like the dark world in A Link to the Past. Except we start in the realm of Hyrule (Child Timeline) and can jump universes from the age of destruction universe (Hero is Defeated) and the flooded timeline (Adult Timeline) to finish off the prime evil, whatever that may be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I personally don't want to be attached to the series anymore; my hope for a decent title has recently died out after viewing the games available for the 3DS and their length (I'm not particularly interested in the Wii U either). However, what keeps me with the series, as in looking into new information, is the curiosity of Zelda 3DS. Part of me says the game will be very short in length (as most 3DS games are) with artificial extenders [think the Dream Eaters in Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance], but the other part tells me to expect something roughly of the original Ocarina of Time's length, with sidequests here and there alike those of Majora's Mask.

Triforce Ballad

Queen of slapping, OH YES
In Death City/The Guild/Skyloft/The internet
IDK, maybe it's the storyline,it's awesomeness, it's charecters. There's always something that draws me to it and makes me an LoZ fan.
I remember when I was 7 or 8, (Yes, I'm not even a teen yet.) a girl named _______ was playing PH on the ds agianst Bellum. I was bored, I coudn't find anyone who wanted to battle me on pokemon, so, I went over there and that changed my life forever.

I was immediatly entranced by the battle agianst Bellum, the girl saw me and told me some more about PH. I didn't know who Zelda was so, I asked, "Shouldn't they call it Legend of Tetra?
". Man, I was dumb then!

Later, me and mom went to gamestop and fished PH out and bought it.

That's why I'm here today! :triforce: :mastersword: ZELDA FOREVER!!!!!!

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
The Zelda series has always been captivating.

When I got my first one, I wasn't even aware it was a series. It was a weird looking game. "The Wind Waker...? What's this?" I got to the Forest Haven and stopped, pretty much to never return to that game...until about a year or two later, when I went and grabbed a walkthrough and beat the game. Then I saw Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass at a nearby Block Buster. At this point, it occurred to me there were more of these amazing games. I proceeded to grab the Collector's Disk and Phantom Hourglass, at which point I was hooked on this series.

Maybe it's the storyline. I can't really think of a Zelda game where the storyline wasn't really thought out. Maybe you can always expect Zelda to be hidden in someone and maybe you can expect a slightly annoying guide, but it's hidden differently throughout each title. Just when the game seems like it's over, a new twist and conflict is thrown into the story and you smile on and keep playing. I hate when a Zelda game ends. It feels like I've lost my best friend.

Maybe it's the characters. Each one has a story thought out that connects to another character, then to another, and it all ties back to Link. You see the emotions of each character towards another. You see them actually knowing one another and having a story outside of Link. You see how there role in this plot fits into place. You learn to feel for them and hate the ones standing in their way. I can't say how much I've wanted to take that flower from Komali before and just give it to Medli.

Maybe it's the gameplay. The controls aren't difficult (but I never seem to learn you can't jump on the gamecube) and they vary in an appropriate way, unlike in some games where the controls are so off you can't remember how to play it, no matter how long or how many times you've tried. The controls work smoothly and the game has something happening pretty much all the time. I would say I was going to stop playing, then spend another hour or two playing.

I think for me it's just an overall combination of all three of these things, and then some. The games are innovative and classic. Zelda holds true as my favorite series of games and holds true as some of my favorite games overall. Maybe a lot of people agree with these things, as we all love Zelda for a number of reasons. But I think what might hold me is an addiction I can't quite seem to break. ^-^" :triforce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom