• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
ok, but then why does this only happen with some of the shrines? Why would Ganondorf only do this to some of the shrines? Hell, why would he do it to the shrines in general? It’s not like they can help Link again.
We can infer that the shrines he didn't get to were already removed by Hudson Construction as I previously described. And also as I previously described he probably didn't wanna chance them being useful again, after all we can still use ancient arrows so some sheikah tech still works. He's just covering all his bases.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
We can infer that the shrines he didn't get to were already removed by Hudson Construction as I previously described. And also as I previously described he probably didn't wanna chance them being useful again, after all we can still use ancient arrows so some sheikah tech still works. He's just covering all his bases.
Can we infer that? It seems to me like if they’re really trying to “repair” hyrule then Hudson would have a lot of better things to do than remove an ancient shrine in the middle of nowhere.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Can we infer that? It seems to me like if they’re really trying to “repair” hyrule then Hudson would have a lot of better things to do than remove an ancient shrine in the middle of nowhere.
I think we can. Zelda placed a lot of monuments around the map dedicated to the losses during the Calamity, so it was definitely on their agenda. Plus, Hudson works fast. They did set up all the skyview towers and lookout landing within the few weeks/months since the start of the Upheaval and when Link wakes up on the GSI. It's not unrealistic to think he could have made a sizable dent in clearing out the defunct shrines and guardian remains in the years between the games.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think we can. Zelda placed a lot of monuments around the map dedicated to the losses during the Calamity, so it was definitely on their agenda. Plus, Hudson works fast. They did set up all the skyview towers and lookout landing within the few weeks/months since the start of the Upheaval and when Link wakes up on the GSI. It's not unrealistic to think he could have made a sizable dent in clearing out the defunct shrines and guardian remains in the years between the games.
Ok, but you miss my point. I’m not saying that they couldn’t, I’m questioning why would they? Why would they bother clearing out a shrine when there’s no direct benefit in doing so?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Ok, but you miss my point. I’m not saying that they couldn’t, I’m questioning why would they? Why would they bother clearing out a shrine when there’s no direct benefit in doing so?

the past is being relegated to the past as it should be.

Can't believe I'm assisting Az in this debate.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Copy-pasting this from my friend off discord cuz I'm lazy:

ganondorf can't have been below hyrule through the whole series because it literally doesn't make sense due to the castle being destroyed several times eg OoT and TP and the seal would have substantially weakened then
the other ganons aren't just possessions of the actual ganon who lost his memories because totk establishes ganondorf has his memories of his time as calamity ganon
the zonai castles (the lomei labyrinths) were made before the shrines of light were placed and because of that the master of boars and the ruler of owls and dragons predated rauru
they seal away the phantom ganon armor meaning oot ganon predated rauru
in the japanese sonia is stated to be from the hyrule clan which rauru then marries into
establishing a hyrule clan in the vein of the royal family was already present
the dusk claymore was placed in the thyphlo ruins which was created to commerate the totk imprisoning war sages and it would be really stupid to say this occurred after the founding of the kingdom because TP literally has the ancient sages use the sword and it's ****ing dumb to say they pulled the sword out just to try and execute ganondorf and then put it back after TP
the gerudo have pointy ears and green eyes.
like the botw era gerudo.
which would be really dumb if this game was pre oot
which
by the way
if it was pre oot
it could only really be 300 years prior due to twinrova existing as young women.
which is even more dumb because the zonai would absolutely be brought up.
like here's the thing
i am fully open to the reboot idea.
and i would be onboard with the reboot idea
if it didn't do the **** i mentioned.
they were conscious of gerudo ears.
in interviews, they started with tp ganondorf as the basis of ganondorf's design, who had pointed ears.
then they gave him round ears.
so it was a conscious decision to keep the other gerudo with pointed ears.
it was a conscious decision to have these zonai who predate rauru say they were guarding this ancient demonic armor.
it was a conscious decision to have oot still referenced via sidon's new tablets.
it was a conscious decision to have the dusk claymore in the game and placed where it was, which would only make sense post TP.
there's as much evidence in this game as there is in ST to believe this game is a refounding.
the only difference is due to this being the same actual geographical location people aren't catching on.
-if we want to say tears g-dorf was deeep down in the dephs, then the castle being destroyed doesn't mean a whole lot if it never reached him, but I agree this is a ridiculous "revelation"
-"they seal away the phantom ganon armor meaning oot ganon predated rauru"
uh...what?
-"sonia is stated to be from the hyrule clan"
well firstly you're a jerk for saying that people aren't thinking critically when this is from the japanese side, as in we'd need to go out of our way to seek this out, but also this just says that hyrule was a small community of sorts before becoming a kingdom, nothing about it says it's a refounding still
-"dusk claymore was placed in the thyphlo ruins..."
is this the same sword? also yeah it'd be stupid but still doesn't really add to it being a refounding
-"gerudo have pointy ears and green eyes"
I'm still chalking these details up as inconsistencies rather than evidence for a refounding, literally oot ganondorf himself went from round ears to pointy ears in both wind waker and twilight princess, and it's the same dude
-"as much evidence as ST"
the fact that this is a ginormous point of contention whereas in ST, it's common knowledge that it's a refounding, hell to the frick no it's not obvious, will you please set your bias down for a second and see that not everyone thinks these games are the most perfect things ever

How so?

To me TotK in everything but story feels like a massive upgrade. It has the sky and depths added, it’s basically BotW 2.0. What is it you like more about BotW?
The story makes a massive difference.

I don't particularly care for the Fuse ability or the Nuts and Bolts gimmick either. BotW's pacing feels better for me. Tbh, I can't really put my finger on it, but TotK feels more haphazardly made than BotW.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Wind Waker is mid. The motion controls in Skyward Sword were fine and the game itself is good. BotW > TotK. Wolf Link's sections in TP were good and there's nothing wrong with them tbh.
I agree with everything here except for Wind Waker. Cel shading is awesome, scale is engaging, story has some of the highest highs, music is nearly perfect, combat is fun, Wind Waker is a great game. Otherwise, your hot-takes have my approval. *rubber stamp*

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Honestly, I'm surprised how unpopular TotK's story has been. I feel like I'm usually the only one pointing at a Zelda story and calling it bad as everyone around tells me to shush.

I don't know enough to know if it's popular or not, and I haven't read all of Hyrule Historia or played every game still, but I based on what I have played I think Nintendo cobbled together a shared universe/lore whatever you want to call it across it's games that I think is actually sort of competitive with mega western gaming franchises like Warcraft or the Elder Scrolls.

From it's start as just consumable pop culture entertainment product where everything you get is in the box, and there was no plan for a larger universe, and it still isn't Nintendo's MO, I think they did pretty well in creating a kind of mythos. I think they sort of unintentionally breathed in the gaming desire to play games as part of a mega franchise during the SS era. People were playing long running online games where you get an attachment to the character and your role in a bigger universe. Zelda won't be multiplayer or online, not remotely, that is not Nintendo and many fans would object, but everytime you play as Link it feels like your playing part of the bigger picture.

At the same time, in the TotK/BotW era, it's definitely inferior to stuff like TES, kind of a fainter sense of connection and stuff, so I'm not suprised to see "Zelda's lore is a joke" but it's not nothing and a good alternative to dive into when you are tired of Warcraft and stuff.

I also wonder if it could be even better if they were to draw on more of the style of Zelda universe stuff from Zelda 3 to WW kind of era.

Honestly, I'm surprised how unpopular TotK's story has been. I feel like I'm usually the only one pointing at a Zelda story and calling it bad as everyone around tells me to shush.
TotK's story had three tasks: be as dark and intense and it promised to be, do something interesting and not be just another standard Zelda plot, and finally, don't make the lore an even bigger mess than it already is.

It just failed so spectacularly in these three points that some people who normally like Zelda stories couldn't give it a pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom