• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Favorite Tim Burton Work?

M

Madi

So, guys, what is your favorite work by Tim Burton? I'd have to say that my favorite was Vincent. I loved how the poem was about Vincent Price and then also narrated by Vincent Price himself because I feel like he adds a lot to anything he performs in. I like the clever ingenious rhymes as well. On a note for the future, I am excited to see Frankenweenie in animated form at the end of this year. :]

Nightmare Before Christmas easily. One of my all time favorite films that I've seen a million times and never gets old. Altho I realize Tim Burton didn't direct that one, I still consider it part of his work. Edward Scissorhands, Corpse Bride & Ed Wood are some other films of his I really enjoy. Honestly I've been rather disappointed in some of his more recent work, but I too am very excited about Frankenweenie.

Altho in tho realm of animation this year I'm probably a bit more excited about ParaNorman.

Probably Batman and Batman Reutnrs, all his other stuff is kind of... When you go around and see all these emo and scene kids wearing Jack Skellington scarfs and stuff it's kind of a turn off..

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
That's only because his style resonates with their scenes culture being dark weird and emotional. I can't say I really enjoy anything he has ever directed he is a mediocre story teller even though I do like The Nightmare Before Christmas(story by Mr.Burton directed by Selick) and the aforementioned scene give him too much praise. I enjoy Henry Selick more

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I agree with Feraldonkey, all these kids wearing cheap Hot-Topic Jack chains and bracelets kills A Nightmare Before Christmas for me.

I do enjoy his Batman movies, Sleepy Hollow, Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Edward Sissorhands. They got a lot of atmosphere and unique style to them.

His remake of Alice can take a long walk off a short cliff as well.

I agree with Feraldonkey, all these kids wearing cheap Hot-Topic Jack chains and bracelets kills A Nightmare Before Christmas for me.

I do enjoy his Batman movies, Sleepy Hollow, Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Edward Sissorhands. They got a lot of atmosphere and unique style to them.

His remake of Alice can take a long walk off a short cliff as well.
Sleepy Hollow was amazing, it fit well with his style of film making and at times you couldn't really tell it was a Burton film.

A nightmare before christmas, some of his other stuff is ok to good, alot of other things are not good imo

It's sad because I actually really really like the Nightmare Before Christmas (I love the music, the visuals, the story, the characters... <3 ) but I do kinda feel it's been ruined by scene/emo kids. I mean it doesn't stop me from loving it, I still have a NBC poster and figures and whatnot in my room, but it would stop me from ever wearing a jack skellington tshirt or whatever cuz I would just look like a scene/emo kid who just wears it because it's part of the look rather than just being a fan. Lol.

I love the older Tim Burton stuff the most like Edward Scissorhands, Batman etc. I love PeeWees Big Adventure lol.
In terms of newer stuff I like the Corpse Bride. HATED Alice in Wonderland (sorry Tim...).

All time favourite? Beetlejuice or NBC. Or Edward Scissorhands... so hard!!!

I'd also like to point out that Tim Burton tends to be best when he's using his original ideas for a storyline. There are exceptions here (sleepy hollow and batman are great), but seriously... compare Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice and any other of his originals with Alice in Wonderland (epic fail), Sweeney Todd (mediocre) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (fail). Then again, maybe it's just his newer stuff as opposed to his interpretation of other people's stories... I dunno.

Last edited:
I really loved the Vincent short story too! ^_^
My favorite would have to be between Nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands.
Also excited for Frankenweenie, I've always liked Tim Burton's style.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Ed Wood, ftw. It's one of my personal top contenders for most exccentric thing Tim Burton has ever been involved with, which is funny, since it's actually based on a real-life story. I like how it takes all his odd-ball elements on a rather bittersweet tale, not to mention how it constantly makes fun of classic Hollywood and some of its personalities like Orson Welles or Bela Lugosi.

I also agree with anyone that mentioned Nightmare Before Christmas, that one was my favorite when I was little. I remember watching Pee-Wee's Big Adventure a while ago, but I don't remember most of it other than the truck driver scene. I might also be the odd one out here, but... I like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I haven't really seen all of the Gene Wilder version, but Burton's personally reminded me a lot of the book (which I also liked a lot) in its overall feel.

Last edited:

Dan

It has to be sleep hollow for me. I like the atmosphere he set up with it. That witch scene used to scare the **** out of me. Oh and the scenes with his mother. Really a good re-watchable film :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom