• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask What Happened to Navi?

D

Devinator2

For those of you who played Ocarina of Time before Majora's Mask, I can't help but wonder: What happened to the little blue fairy we all know and love? In MM Navi never appears. At least as far as I can see. Does anyone have any theory or answer to what happened to Navi, Link's fairy from OoT?

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
Well...
The plot of Majora's Mask is that Link goes to look for Navi, and gets swept up into another adventure. Navi departs from Link at the end of Ocarina of Time.

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
Easy.
The Great Deku Tree never sent her out to help Link when he was sent back in time. If Hyrule had no need to be saved, there was no reason for Link to have a fairy, since he wasn't a Kokiri.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I always presumed that Navi was pretty much "there for the mission" and since Link was not a Kokiri (not of the species that has fairies) and was destined to grow up naturally, Navi knew that to be his nanny was not her place anymore. She was probably called back by magical forces to go back to the forest or something.

I play with it in some of my fan fiction. My latest Zelda fic has Navi becoming a Great Fairy and being the Great Fairy in Twilight Princess. Other fics of mine just have her showing up at random fairy springs. I've read stories by other authors where she twinkled off to die quietly where Link wouldn't see. There are all kinds of things that could have happened to Navi. We just do not know.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
Well, there's one thing I don't understand. It is stated that OoT is the prequel to MM. But Link is an adult at the end of OoT. How does he go from being an adult to jumping to being a kid in the next game in the timeline? Unless he goes back to being a kid before the game series moves on? But if that's true, then he shouldn't have Epona because he gets her as an adult. Help?

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
Well, there's one thing I don't understand. It is stated that OoT is the prequel to MM. But Link is an adult at the end of OoT. How does he go from being an adult to jumping to being a kid in the next game in the timeline? Unless he goes back to being a kid before the game series moves on? But if that's true, then he shouldn't have Epona because he gets her as an adult. Help?

Have... you beaten Ocarina of Time? :P

Because that's kind of a pivotal thing in the story...

Here is my take on it.

Navi is Link's friend, she's the only one who shared that big adventure with him, experienced his hardships, fought with him in every battle. She's the only other one who remembers what happened after they go back in time at the end. They had a very strong bond because of that, but she couldn't stay with him. He's not a Kokiri, and the rules of the forest or something wouldn't let her. She cared about him a lot, and I doubt she really knew in the beginning that this arrangement was temporary, she seemed as surprised as Link by all the things that had happened. I see her leaving so suddenly as a sign of how difficult it was, because she knew if she prolonged their goodbye it would only be more painful for both of them.

And Link, imagine how he must feel. He's been an adult even though he never experienced growing up, and now he's a little kid again so he can have his youth back, but after all that there's no way he could go back to being carefree. He's trapped somewhere between a child and an adult, he's both and neither. He was always different, but now he's truly alone, no one else knows or understands what he's been through. He must have thought that if he could find Navi she could still be his friend, or maybe he just wanted to talk to her one more time. And who knows? Maybe after Majora's Mask he does find her again, even though she couldn't be his partner, at least he might see her again.

"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... That is up to you."

W

World9000

Navi HIde and SEEk

Well i knw that at the begining of majoras mask Link was looking for navi and then saving the world got him side tracked but after he saved the world he went back to find his fairy navi i believe that their will be a zelda game continuing off majoras mask but itts just my thought :lol:

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
You know, it was never stated in Majora's Mask that he was searching for Navi, though it was heavily implied. (Unless Hyrule Historia has confirmed it? I mean, I do believe it was Navi he was searching for... I'm just saying. :P)

Like Shadsie said, anything could have happened. Leave the explaining to the fanfics, haha.

I thought Navi had to leave Link because The Great Deku Tree sent her with Link for a mission. When Link grew up and saved Hyrule and all that jazz, she had to leave him because there was no purpose for her being there.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Navi was assigned to Link for the duration of their adventure.
At the end of OoT, Navi can be seen flying out of the ToT, and Link confronts Zelda alone.

After the events of OoT, Link cannot discuss his adventures with anyone, since the Hero's Shade from TP mentions that people remain ignorant of what he did. What's more, he almost certainly missed his battle-mate and advice giver.
Hey! Look! Listen!

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
Here is my take on it.

Navi is Link's friend, she's the only one who shared that big adventure with him, experienced his hardships, fought with him in every battle. She's the only other one who remembers what happened after they go back in time at the end. They had a very strong bond because of that, but she couldn't stay with him. He's not a Kokiri, and the rules of the forest or something wouldn't let her. She cared about him a lot, and I doubt she really knew in the beginning that this arrangement was temporary, she seemed as surprised as Link by all the things that had happened. I see her leaving so suddenly as a sign of how difficult it was, because she knew if she prolonged their goodbye it would only be more painful for both of them.

And Link, imagine how he must feel. He's been an adult even though he never experienced growing up, and now he's a little kid again so he can have his youth back, but after all that there's no way he could go back to being carefree. He's trapped somewhere between a child and an adult, he's both and neither. He was always different, but now he's truly alone, no one else knows or understands what he's been through. He must have thought that if he could find Navi she could still be his friend, or maybe he just wanted to talk to her one more time. And who knows? Maybe after Majora's Mask he does find her again, even though she couldn't be his partner, at least he might see her again.

"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... That is up to you."
You forgot Princess Zelda!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom