• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What Do You Want from a Boss?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Bosses are a staple of Zelda games, but they vary greatly from game to game. What do you want from a boss? Do you want a challenging and fast fight? Do you want a boss that sums up the themes of the dungeon? Do you want something insanely hard? Or would you rather have something easy but fun? Tell us.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
For me, I would like a boss that sums up the themes of the dungeon, otherwise it wouldn't really make sense. For example, if you clear a fire-themed dungeon and face, say, a stone monster, it would be a little odd. It's gotta make sense, otherwise it feels like there wasn't much thought put into it. The boss also has to be challenging, flexible, and designed well. It shouldn't be affected only by the dungeon item; there should be numerous ways to damage and defeat it. At the same time, there should be a balance to it so there's no fast way to beat it, otherwise you could just spam it with the same move over and over again for an easy victory. The boss doesn't necessarily need to have a pattern to it, but if there isn't a pattern, it should be very flexible and tricky. It's also gotta be a lot of fun to fight. It should never be tedious or feel like a chore to beat a boss. It should be something gratifying and fun, and something challenging and interesting at the same time. That's the mark of a good boss to me. That's what I want out of a boss.

I want a challenge but more than anything I want it to feel EPIC I mean I want to feel outclassed in every way.... That's one thing Oot did perfect!! Every time I walked into a boss room and the final boss made there appearance I always thought to myself "Well I'm f**ked" lol

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i just want more Variety. Handhelds have handled boss battles better than any Zelda.... Let me rephrase that, 2D Zelda games have done well to balance the use of the item and practical swordsmen skill. i feel ever since 3D zelda games have come around Bosses have gotten easier and easier. and have started to rely to much on, go to dungeon, get item in dungeon, find boss key, kill boss with item found in dungeon! no challenge.

Bongo Bongo.... okay ill give him a pass...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I like the formula Majora's Mask used for bosses, and that is the way I think all bosses should be battled. Majora's did things no other Zelda game has, and I love it!
-The bosses did not have obvious weak points like most bosses do
-Each boss had multiple different ways of killing it
-They were each awesomely designed
-Each one posed at least some sort of challenge
-The four main bosses were all protective deities, possessed by the power of a particular item

Other games in the series have incorporated these elements into their bosses, but Majora's Mask is the only that really takes advantage of them to make some truly amazing bosses, and it is a formula that I would love to see in future games!

Salem

SICK
I like the formula Majora's Mask used for bosses, and that is the way I think all bosses should be battled. Majora's did things no other Zelda game has, and I love it!

-The four main bosses were all protective deities, possessed by the power of a particular item

Other games in the series have incorporated these elements into their bosses, but Majora's Mask is the only that really takes advantage of them to make some truly amazing bosses, and it is a formula that I would love to see in future games!
They're the ones I think should be uses for future boss designs. good idea

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is all of what I like, and the most important part is that MM's bosses are challenging to veterans of the series, not just newcomers. I dislike the notion of having easy bosses even in the first dungeon; I feel that the period leading up to the first dungeon should be the easy part then have everything quickly get to the "difficult" portion of the game. Bosses especially should be hard - not just for the equipment you have at the time but in the overall design of the game.

Skittles

Rainbows!
This is all of what I like, and the most important part is that MM's bosses are challenging to veterans of the series, not just newcomers. I dislike the notion of having easy bosses even in the first dungeon; I feel that the period leading up to the first dungeon should be the easy part then have everything quickly get to the "difficult" portion of the game. Bosses especially should be hard - not just for the equipment you have at the time but in the overall design of the game.

I never really found the bosses outright challenging...but...

I did find them fun. What I want usually is a boss that's designed well, fits into the dungeon, feels epic, and is fun to beat. I don't need a challenge all the time, or rather, I want a challenge that isn't a headache but is fun and challenging. Even if I lose a few times, that's fine...like Ghirahim and his army at the SS. That was almost the perfect boss fight in a way. At least the army of darkness part, anyways...

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
I think that if the boss is connected to the dungeon in some sort of way, then it would be great. I think that to defeat a boss, you must use the skills that you have learned throughout the dungeon. Like for example, in Twilight Princess, you learned skills in different dungeon. In the Forest Temple, you swung with monkeys. In the Goron Mines, you used iron boots to push switches, and walk upside down. In the Lakebed Temple, you can clawshot to hooks. I would like these skills somehow incorporated in the boss battle a bit more.

And I haven't played many games, so I don't know if it has been used before, but putting a boss inside a normal everyday dungeon room might be cool. Like in the Goron Mines, most of the rooms were platforms with lava between them. If the boss room had that, then it would make it more challenging. Especially if the boss is moving around.

I would also like for the bosses to be hard. But if you get stumped, then there should always be an option to ask your sidekick for help. In Twilight Princess (wow, I'm using that a lot :xd:), after 10 seconds of the boss fight, if you are thinking and haven't done much, Midna would pop up and tell you what to do. I would rather have it that you ask her if you need help.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
A boss is the climax of a dungeon or temple. It's what you work towards, solving puzzles, fighting enemies, and avoiding traps, to be thrown into combat against a being more powerful than your character could ever imagine to be at that point in the game. Henceforth, the boss MUST BE the most memorable part of a dungeon, in my opinion.

From there, a boss fight, especially in a 3D Zelda title, is expected to be big, strong, and epic. There aren't many bosses in Zelda titles since Ocarina that aren't bigger than Link. I'm struggling to think of just one at the moment. Examples of my favorite boss battles that possess this epic sense of a titanic struggle include Twinmold from Majora's Mask, Bongo-Bongo from Ocarina, and the Helmaroc King from Wind Waker.

Every boss fight should also integrate the item in the dungeon in some way, shape, or form. Think about it. You are entering a dungeon that that boss is lord of. It hides its one weakness inside the dungeon, guarded by its strongest minions (mini-bosses.) You make it all the way to the boss and you have in your possession the one item the boss fears. From the slingshot to the Megaton Hammer, the items gained in dungeons are there because they are the bosses weakness, thus highlighting their importance.

Bosses should always increase in difficulty as your progress through the game. This makes sense because as you progress further into any game, you collect better items and learn how to control your character better and more fluidly. To give you bosses of similar difficulty throughout the game is about as useful as repeating the same fight over and over. An easy way to explain the difficulty of a boss is the puzzle-solving aspect of a boss fight. Every boss has a weak point that you must find. Using Ocarina as an example, Gohma's weak point is her eye, which is easy to see. King Dodongo's weak point is his gaping mouth. A little bit harder to see but still rather easily accessible. Starting with Barinade, the bosses weak points become harder and harder to access. Barinade's is its underbelly, Phantom Ganons is his shock ball attack. Volvagias is its head, Morphas is its core/heart, Bongo-Bongos is its eye, and Twinrovas are their opposite powers. Now, you may stop and say, "Hey, wait! Isn't it obvious that Morphas weakness is its core/heart? And that Bongo-Bongos is its giant single eye?" The fact of the matter is, it isn't just about finding the weakness but also finding out how to exploit it. And that ups the challenge of bosses even more.

So, to review, a boss must have/be:
-Memorable
-Epic, grand, large.
-Make use of the dungeons item
-As difficult as should be expected at the point of the game you're on.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Well, what I'd like in a boss is someone who's willing to work among their associates, who's willing to get their hands dirty, and who... oh, wait, not that kind of boss.

Actually, to be honest, I'd like some of the dungeons to not have bosses. And surprise bosses are always cool (Snowpeak Ruins). I also agree that, surprise boss or not, it should fit the dungeon.

Also some ideas:
-Bosses that wander the temple. You never know whether it could be lurking around the next corner.
-World Bosses (possibly randomized). Again, you might be idly riding through Hyrule field and BAM! Boss time!

I like games that keep me on my toes.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
-Make use of the dungeons item

I disagree with this one entirely. I do not believe a dungeon item should be forced on the boss; optional use is always welcome but regarding a forced usage, I think that's a bit much. Here's a list of reasons why:

1) If the boss actually fears an item in its possession, why would it lock it away rather than destroy it outright? Or, at the very least, ship it somewhere else? That's like if I were afraid of a dirty shirt, I would just lock it away rather than send it to someone else or wash it myself (or tell my siblings to wash it, which is the same as a boss' menions doing the dirty work for the boss).

2) Forced usage of items creates predictable boss measures. Oh, I got a Boomerang in the dungeon? Well it's obvious I will be doing one of two things with that item: one being stunning hte boss and two being carrying items to/from platforms. It's better off to have encounters with bosses and boss-like foes that do not require items outright but items would still be helpful to have.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
I disagree with this one entirely. I do not believe a dungeon item should be forced on the boss; optional use is always welcome but regarding a forced usage, I think that's a bit much. Here's a list of reasons why:

1) If the boss actually fears an item in its possession, why would it lock it away rather than destroy it outright? Or, at the very least, ship it somewhere else? That's like if I were afraid of a dirty shirt, I would just lock it away rather than send it to someone else or wash it myself (or tell my siblings to wash it, which is the same as a boss' menions doing the dirty work for the boss).

2) Forced usage of items creates predictable boss measures. Oh, I got a Boomerang in the dungeon? Well it's obvious I will be doing one of two things with that item: one being stunning hte boss and two being carrying items to/from platforms. It's better off to have encounters with bosses and boss-like foes that do not require items outright but items would still be helpful to have.

Sorry mate, but I am of the complete opposite opinion. What other explanation could there be for an item in a dungeon? I think the real problem people have with dungeon items and using them for bosses is that they always contain the same basic principles of use. For example, ranged items, such as the slingshot or bow, are almost always used to stun an enemy, whether that be by hitting them in the eye or other extremity. Items like the hookshot are always used to bring the boss within attacking distance. What the Zelda team needs to do is create more ways to use the same items against bosses. I think a great example of this would be the fight against Gohma in Wind Waker. You use the grappling hook to grab on to the dragons tail and bring the ceiling down on Gohmas head. That's a brilliant piece of boss design.

But, hey, opinions are opinions.

ILU

i luv u
I feel like making use of the dungeon item is very important, but I also feel that the puzzles you solve and the way you fight along the way to the boss room should be just as important. I think that the items you use and the battles you experience in a dungeon should get you ready to take on its master.

But, I also feel like each boss should be harder to defeat than the last, and experiences and items from previous dungeons should be used to defeat them. This means more fun and longer battles, IMO! Like stated by another user, weaknesses shouldn't be obvious, you should be able to figure it out based on what you experienced along the way, and the bosses should be sensitive not only to items, but to terrain. Remember that scorpion in Skyward Sword with eyeball claws? You shoulda been able to kick sand into his eyes. Or something clever like that, rather than gimicky controls... *cough* but that's another complaint for another day.

And they don't always need to be battles, either. Mind you, with Zelda, they probably should be for the majority of the game. But, it might be cool to have the climax of a dungeon be defeating the boss in something that involved a chase, altering of the location (knocking over statues to block its path), and so on.

I think, mostly, I want the boss to be difficult to defeat. I don't expect that from Zelda anymore, but it'd be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom