• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think of Twilight Princess Now?

I still think it's the most disappointing Zelda of all time. Skyward Sword is the game I expected TP to be. I understand why it wasn't possible then, but that's kinda what Iwata, Miyamoto, and silly Reggie promised us.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I love Twilight Princess, it's my favorite Zelda game, and it still is after playing SS, but I know that Skyward Sword is 10 times better, so, my opinion hasn't changed...

The same as before:
a great game but one that was just too much a wink to the past instead of having its own unique route, and also a game with some obvious flaws like the difficulty (waaaay too easy), inspirationless dungeon design and the plotchange from Zant to Ganondorf was poor.
Still a great game by the way. But these negative points are just too much on the foreground.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I love it! Its as good as OOT for me. SS improved swordplay and cinematics, but TP had my favourite storyline and a great atmosphere, and a greater variety of enemies. I think the areas were allot prettier in TP, Gerudo desert was so much nicer than Lanayru.
Unlike you I was not dissapointed with TP at all. I loved it and still do and I probably always will.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I really don't have any different opinions on it. It's still one of my favorite games ever made and one of the best in my opinion. Sure, it had some shortcomings, but I don't think it deserves nearly the a mount of criticism it gets. It's my second-favorite game (first being Skyward Sword), and my love for it will never die. Twilight Princess was everything I wanted and then some. Nothing will sway my opinions of the game.

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
Twilight Princess is one the the best Zelda games I ever played and I have never seen the flaws that alot of other people say it has;
I found it to be quite non-linear, it wasn't too easy, I loved the story(In my opinion the only thing they did wrong was make Zant suddenly act weird all of the sudden), and I found it had tons of character developement.

It isn't my favourite Zelda, but it's in my top 3, I for one found no reason at all to ever dislike the game. :)

Last edited:

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I didn't really have a fully formed opinion on Twilight Princess, to be honest. I am not a person who can do that kind of things, since I have troubles expressing coherent views unless I had a lot of time to do it. It's been around 5 years since Twilight Princess came out, and my opinion on it still has to take a definitive shape in some ways, but overall, I always thought it was a solid game. Tedious at parts? Maybe. Slow? It's a game that requires exploration, that's to be expected, especially since I'm not of the rushing-through-experiences kind. Empty? I have seen enough good arguments against that, and I liked the hidden caves through Hyrule a lot, so I guess sying it's "empty" is almost out of the question for me now. I can see why many people think that, though, since the overworld didn't pack content every two steps. But I think it took the best out of what it could. Thing is, while I'm not the kind of person who rushes though experiences, I am not a very analytic kind, either, which is while it's taken me several playthroughs to find things that I appreciated about TP's basic design. I still haven't reached the "I saw it all" moment and I'm not sure when I'll do.

Now compare that to Skyward Sword, which I haven't even finished. I've seen a lot of things in it that stood out. The first time entering the Sealed Temple was a neat little moment. How the natural light was at the other end of the temple and how it all blurred in the distance... it's a sight that I think I'll still remember and a feeling I'll keep getting in following playthroughs. And looking for the little girl in that sidequest to find...

...Batreaux?

That's another thing that'll likely stay with me.

Though, due to the afforementioned reasons, I doubt my opinion will be fully formed about Skyward Sword even after finishing it.

Now, to answer the main question: What do I think of Twilight Princess now? My opinion has changed a little bit with time, since I didn't like the ending at first, but it stroke me as much stronger for some reason the second time... I don't really know why. Maybe because knowing what to expect, I thought something like "Heh, It's not really that bad after all". But I have seen some people saying they expected SS to be the game TP wasn't. I don't really understand that, to be honest. The main thing I expected was change, with the trailers mainly working as previews to see what the game would be like. I expected SS to be it's own new thing, something Nintendo hasn't done before, instead of healing wounds that weren't really made in the first place.

Lol, sorry if it seems like I'm rambling a bit. It's just my opinion.

Last edited:
As I write my opinion on Twilight bear this in mind. It was my homecoming game back to Zelda, and only here recently. I had played every game up to Majora's mask, and for some reason I kinda lost interest in Zelda. *gasp* About two months ago, I bought a Wii, just for Skyward sword, btw. So I picked up a copy of TP, and WOW!!! This game though I have not completed it, I find stunning, and beautiful. The music score was epic, and I found that the game really captures alot of emotion. I am still playing Skyward sword to, but let me be honest, once I beat both, Twilight Princess may be my all time fav game. Not just Zelda game.

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
I will repost what I said about Twilight Princess in another topic.

Twilight Princess is the most, traditional but in terms of story, untraditional to zelda games.

The story really is about Midna and Zant, where as our normal characters, Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, are actually in the backlight as plot devices for the two characters.

Midna is the true hero, manipulating the hero of time to work for her needs and her cause while inadvertently saving hyrule at the same time.

Zant is a tortured villain that turns out to be the whole Pauper that wanted to be prince. He uses Ganondorf, who at that time seemed like a god to him and was granted power. That's how he took control of the twili realm.

Link has a story, but it is a very minor one ironically. He wants to save his friends and the children of his village. Then he wants to save hyrule. Why? Because it is his destiny and it is who he is.

Zelda is the most minor story in the game, she really only plays herself off as "the wise sage" character for our heroes, yet manages to remain in the damsel in distress.

Ganondorf has the biggest part of the story, from the original 3 characters, he is the man who caused all the problems, who was banished to the Twili realm, who twisted Zant's desires into power, who cased all of this. Ganondorf in this game is best described as "The Devil." Never doing his own dirty work, but instead coaxing and fueling one's desire into sin, making the evil and hatred flow through someone, IE Zant.

I think this game is most memorable for how the characters were used symbolically.

Midna was the two faced hero, Zant was the two faced villain, Link the unwilling tool of the hero, Zelda the source of knowledge and power, and Ganondorf "The Devil."

The whole thing that makes Twilight Princess Unique is it isn't focused on Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf. It is the power struggle between Midna and Zant, and them being the puppeteer/puppet to the respective Original three.

The story of Twilight Princess is exactly what the name implies. It's Midna's Story, told through the Legend of Zelda, which is the iconic struggle between Link and Zelda and Ganondorf.

In that aspect it is my third Favorite Zelda Game, Beating Wind Waker but falling short to the recent Skyward Sword.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I LOVE TWILIGHT PRINCESS! I never understood why people hate it. I personally think it's better than Ocarina of Time! I want to go back and Let's Play it after I beat Skyward Sword but until I play it after SS, my opinion of TP remains. It's got a great story, moody locations, and is the most mature of any Zelda game!

MW7

Twilight Princess is one the the best Zelda games I ever played and I have never seen the flaws that alot of other people say it has;
I found it to be quite non-linear, it wasn't too easy, I loved the story(In my opinion the only thing they did wrong was make Zant suddenly act weird all of the sudden), and I found it had tons of character developement.

It isn't my favourite Zelda, but it's in my top 3, I for one found no reason at all to ever dislike the game. :)

I don't want to turn this into an argument, but I want to point out why I say Twilight Princess is the most linear Zelda ever. It has to do entirely with the dungeon/plot progression. There is literally only one path through the main quest whereas in LOZ, ALTTP, OOT, and MM you can shuffle the order a little (MM) or a lot (LOZ) with ALTTP and OOT falling into what I would consider the non-linearity sweet spot. Having said that I think there are other aspects of Twilight Princess that can very well be considered non-linear. There are numerous sidequests that can be done at virtually anytime to break up the main quest, and some of the dungeons themselves are non-linear (Arbiter's Grounds and Hyrule Castle come to mind). In this sense almost every Zelda can be considered non-linear, but what I focus on to categorize the games is the main quest progression by which only a few games are truly non-linear. Also to be fair Twilight Princess isn't alone in my eyes as extremely linear, but with its similarities to Ocarina of Time I think it's understandable for me to be let down by the fact that it didn't carry over one of my favorite aspects of OOT.

Also concerning the difficulty, most people cast the entire game aside as a joke, but I would say the puzzles in the game are up to par with most of the games in the series. Some of the dungeons weren't easy by any means IMO. The combat is the only thing which I consider to be incredibly easy, but Wind Waker is even easier in that department so Twilight Princess isn't even the worst offender in the series on combat difficulty either IMO.

Twilight Princess' story was alright and the characters within the main story did have development as well. To be honest though my favorite thing about Twilight Princess' story was the ability to skip most of it even on your first playthrough. I felt that option was long overdue (if I have to watch the opening cutscene from OOT one more time, I literally am going to scream).

Overall I feel that the game will only grow in my esteem over time. I loved several of the dungeons, and considering that dungeons are probably 90% of the reason why I love Zelda games, logically Twilight Princess did a lot right by my standards. I already kind of think that it won't be long for the game to overtake Wind Waker in my eyes, but I don't think it will catch Majora's Mask, OOT, or Skyward Sword (which my opinions of can't possibly be fully formed at this point in time after only one playthrough). So I guess my thoughts on Twilight Princess are warming up after giving it some time and multiple playthroughs. It won't be my favorite Zelda ever, but it is a really great game.

Twilight Princess, dissapointing?
Not at all! I loved TP. I loved the graphics, the story, the characters, the temples everything.
All I mean to say is: How can you not love this!

RHhylian

Guru-Guru's strange son
Even though SS is AWESOME and probably my second fav zelda (first is MC btw) I REALLY like TP and I love it's puzzles and creative dungeon designs, even though it's a very easy game. OoT diehard fans are probably going to hate me for this, but I liked TP more than OoT... in OoT the puzzles and dungeon design weren't all that great and everything felt too blocky and empty. It's probably the aging of the game and the fact that OoT is SOOOOOOOOOOO overrated so I expected more. TP over OoT for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom