• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Did You Think of the Twilight?

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
The first time I played TP, I wasn't a big fan of it because I was constantly using my wolf senses to see the scent and it was like wandering around vast swaths of darkness.

The second time I skipped the scent and still wandered around in the dark for some reason.

I just started replaying it again, though, and once again ignored the scents, but I just ran around as usual exploring places again. And I was pleasantly surprised to realize I liked the way the world was lit. It wasn't a typical twilight, and I wouldn't want to live there, but I could see why Midna missed it.

Not a big fan of the monsters, though. I know that was the point, but they were just too freaky looking for my tastes. It may have something to do with the way some of the ones that stand out - the shadow beasts & those flying monsters - didn't have actual faces and that always weirds me out.

However I did like the twist of the population being spirits and being unable to see you. It was neat to be one of the only ones interacting with the 'real' world, so to speak.

Anyway, I enjoyed that part of the game a lot more this time around. What was your reaction to it?

ETA: Rats, I thought I'd created a poll with this! Oh well.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
it was fine, but i disliked the distant floating buildings. how do they get there? and why dont the people say anything, all they do is stare and moan

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Eeeeh... *shrug* I felt like it was a neat way to try to implement an old idea into a new game. The bloom effect did hurt my eyes a lot, though, and I'd have preferred the black and white beta version. I didn't quite care for the monsters... they looked too sci-fi for my tastes, but that's just a personal opinion. I liked how the NPCs turned out while they were in the Twilight... gave the game a little more depth, I think. When you see people huddling in fear, your need to save them only grows stronger.

But, it wasn't exactly an original idea, just a revival of one and then built up, so I can't give it that much credit. Still, it was a nice addition to the game and it was actually nice to see that idea return. As much as I didn't like the wolf, I do like the idea of being stuck in an alternate form every now and then and having to go about the quest in different ways.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I had to look up "bloom". Art vocab isn't my strong point, however fascinating I may find it.

Sci-fi is a good way to describe the monsters - abstract is another one I was thinking of, but I wasn't using it in a technical sense, and there's probably a better one. What I mean, though, is using the shadow kagarocs for the example again, and how they have horns instead of heads. Kagorocs aren't real but it's easy to compare them to birds of prey/dinosaurs and so they don't creep me out. Making them less "real" does. Now that I think about it, they're probably one of my least favorite monsters.

Back to the Twilight, I do wonder how the shadowed light world compared to the actual Twilight Realm. The Palace of Twilight seemed really stark to me, but that was just one region. Wish we could have at least seen over the edge of a barrier to see more lands beyond.

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
I thought it was pretty interesting. I liked how it was so dark..especially while using my senses. It was pretty freaky because I couldn't see too well.

I didn't really mind it but the "two different versions of the same world" thing has been done to death in Zelda and they need to think of something fresh and new.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Twilight mostly because, for the first bit of the game, every time you went into it you were forced into wolf form for a while. I don't mind wolf form, but not being able to change back for a while gets on my nerves.
Other than that, I prefer how the light world looks and feels over how the Twilight does. The Twilight is just so dark, hopeless and unreal feeling, whereas the light world has more of an adventurous feel to it.
Another reason I dislike the Twilight is because my TV gets really bad glares in the daytime (because of all the windows which we don't have blinds for), and anything that makes the game darker looking really hinders it's playability. Besides, since the Twilight feels so weird, I don't really want to play it at night, when there aren't glares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom