• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are Video Games to You ?

Master

Upcoming
Okay , what are video games to you ? Some say it is just another electronic sitting in your house , i disagree . I personal see video games like ................... like ....... like art paintings . They are all unique in their own special way , and you can interpet any way you want . Some say it is apart of you , :suspicious: . I see that every game allows you to enter , or connect to their own world by their main character . Just how The Legend of Zelda games has Link to make that connection . (is that suppose to be a pun ? You know how the word Link means connection , and the character's name is L-Nevermind :shake: )

So tell me what you think about this . I think i am going to get some cool responses ........

I love Video Games because If I get angry or stressed, I can just play them and enter a whole new world.

They're also fun. ;)

Video Games are very important to me. I would be very bored without them.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I love video games because its an escape from the real world and i can lose myself in a fantasy one. There's no better form of entertainment.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
They're entertainment, but like any form of entertainment, they can vary in depth. Movies, for example - sometimes I just want a fluffy romantic comedy, and other times I want a gritty drama or a hard-hitting documentary. Or books. Sometimes I want to escape, and sometimes I want to really appreciate someone's skill with the written word. When I sit down to play a video game, I'm looking for an enjoyable break from my work, but I can still admire a well-plotted story and the little details that the designers have put into the game. Or I can just play a quick, less complex game if that's what I'm in the mood for. There's no right or wrong answer as long as it serves the purpose, which is to have fun.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I see games as art and a better version of a book. It also lets me escape the real world and enjoy a very cool virtual world. I want to work on video games in the future, man, there are so many ideas in my head running about ways to make video games better and some cool video game ideas.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Video games used to be my life.
... Up until the age of 16.
Now I can't play them for too long without becoming bored, except for a few exceptional series ( Zelda included ).

However, nowadays due to my work timetable, games can only be played occasionally to fill the time.
Which is a major shame because there are so many games I want to play at the moment.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Video games are by definition escapism. But they also showcase, technology, competition, writing and beauty.

I play them whenever I can really. My priorities are here in the real world, and I'm consider myself an "maker" (architecture student) much the designers who are creating environments that are experienced by a much wider range of people. I worry about people who prefer to be in the video game environment more than the real world. I know how easy it is to get lost in a video game. (I've missed a bus stop many times because of 2D Seldas.)

Also, arcade games DO NOT count as video games, cause, ya. I hate playing those things, but I loving pwning. So ya.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I'd say that they're entertainment, but like entertainment, they can be works of art too. They are meant to be played for fun, yet, a person can see them on a deeper level. For instance, one person can play a video game and just have fun while another can look at the graphics like something Picasso painted, or listen to the music like a composition by Mozart, or something like that.

The way I see it, video games are both entertainment and works of art: just to differing levels between the fun and art factors, as I call them. Some are all about the art factor (Kingdom Hearts, for instance), while others are more geared toward the fun factor (like Pokemon and Mario).

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Video games to me are a form of entertainment, nothing more nothing less. No, I am not addicted to playing, as there are other better things to do in life. I do play, but not all the time, so yeah, just a form of entertainment.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I am one to not buy many of the video games that most people buy such as cod and all probably because i am a nintendo fan but that isnt the main reason. I think it is because i find video games to be woks of art like a good movie or a good book. I like to find games that it really doesnt matter about graphics or multiplayer (even though those are nice touches) that after you beat the game you feel like youve been on an adventure like in movies like inception or shutter island or books like to kill a mockingbird or scarlet letter. I especially like when games plots give you that feeling after the game like their is something missing like you need to look back at it and dig a little deeper by analyzing maybe the architecture or the game elements and themes or the characters diction. One game that i recently bought and beat that i found to have many of these good characteristics was Metroid Other M. It had a thrilling plot that made since been even after it was over you kind of had to look back and think well at this part why did they do this or what was the producer really trying to do with this part. Another thing that i have already kind of mentioned is the script the characters have and how influential to the games and even more to the series of games. I think the one of the best examples of this is OOT and WW. In OOT Ganondorf seems to be kind of a power hungry beast who really only cares about what he wants and seems to do what ever he needs to get it. But hen in WW they take Ganondorf (towards the end) and through his speech seems to make him more human and give him a motive for what he did but at the same time they retain him as a monster in the end by showing that now with the triforce gone he had nothing left to live for and decides to kill the people (in the final fight) who did this to him. I think the ending of WW gives Ganondorf a new light i think it if seen in the right way puts him as a epic hero with his fatal flaw being his corrupting lust for power. Because his speech in my eyes makes him seem like a great politician for the gerudos who wanted to change what the gerudos were by getting them out of the desert but in the end he changed from man to beast as his lust for power changed his mind as he got the triforce. But i digress the point is i see ideo games as works of art that need to be (at least the better ones) dissected to really get that feeling of awe in what the creators of them have done and what the creators have made.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Video games to me are a form of entertainment and a way to relieve stress if I have any. I'm not one to play games every single second of the day. I play them when I feel like playing them. I'm not overly obsessed with them to the extent that I revolve my life around them.

G

gUtSLyOiR

Video game's meaning to me can actually depend on the game. Great storied rpgs are a great way to put yourself in a world, but if i want some entertainment i might play an intense shooter. Personally, i believe that a game can be defined as art if the fact that it is inspired can be seen. This doesnt mean it has to be original, it doesnt have to break new ground, it doesnt need a great story, it just needs to be an enjoyable experience. Something worth remembering.

Ikana

Trollkastel
Video games are just like many other things in my life just to keep my life from being boring,I can't stand boredom.I always have to have something to do,but Video Games could be called art I guess,their just something that keeps me busy and to take stuff off my mind like stress or depression.

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
The reason everyone loves video games is because it gives them a new life, a new world to explore. They get to be the hero, and they don't even have to leave their house! Really, video games are a lot like books. We read them for the adventure, for the story, for the excitment, etc. That's my point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom