• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ura Zelda, The Lost Quest

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I think that Ura Zelda ended up being Master Quest, and Majora's Mask.
If I remember correcty Ura Zelda was originally meant to be OOT with new content, and harder dungeons.

At some point Nintendo decided to make the new content into a new game(Majora's Mask), and the harder dungeons become Master Quest.

If my theory is right, then Ura Zelda probably does not exist in it's original form as a playable game.

This would not be the first time that Nintendo did something like this, remember Super Mario 128?

Parts of Super Mario 128 have been used in other games like Pikmin, and Super Mario Galaxy.

No... Majora's mask started as an entirely new project called Zelda Gaiden, and ended up being MM.
Ura Zelda was an enhanced OoT, I truly believe that we lost tons of content.

ABout MM, here's the article:

Development
Following the release of Link's Awakening in 1993, fans waited five years for Ocarina of Time, the active development of which took four years. By re-using the game engine and graphics from Ocarina of Time, a smaller team required only two years to finish Majora's Mask. According to director Eiji Aonuma, they were "faced with the very difficult question of just what kind of game could follow Ocarina of Time and its worldwide sales of seven million units", and as a solution, came up with the three-day system to "make the game data more compact while still providing deep gameplay".[15]

Majora's Mask first appeared in the media in May 1999, when Famitsu stated that a long-planned Zelda expansion for the 64DD was underway in Japan. This project was tentatively titled "Ura Zelda" ("ura" translates roughly to "hidden" or "behind"). This expansion would take Ocarina of Time and alter the level designs, similar to how the "second quest" expanded upon of the original Legend of Zelda.[16] In June, Nintendo announced that "Zelda: Gaiden", which roughly translates to "Zelda: Side Story", would appear as a playable demo at the Nintendo Space World exhibition on August 27, 1999.[17] The media assumed that Zelda: Gaiden was the new working title for Ura Zelda.[17]

Screenshots of Zelda: Gaiden released in August 1999 show unmistakable elements of the final version of Majora's Mask, such as the large clock that dominates the center of Clock Town, the timer at the bottom of the screen, and the Goron Mask.[18] Story and gameplay details revealed later that month show that the story concept as well as the use of transformation masks were already in place.[19]

That same month, Miyamoto confirmed in a Famitsu article that Ura Zelda and Zelda: Gaiden were separate projects.[20] It was unclear if Zelda: Gaiden was an offshoot of Ura Zelda or if the two were always separate. Ura Zelda became Ocarina of Time Master Quest outside Japan, and was released on a bonus disc for the GameCube which was given to those who pre-ordered The Wind Waker in the US and bundled with the GameCube game in Europe. The Nintendo 64 release was canceled due to the failure of the Nintendo 64DD in Japan.

In November, Nintendo announced a "Holiday 2000" release date for Zelda: Gaiden.[21] By March 2000, what ultimately became the final titles were announced: Zelda no Densetsu Mujura no Kamen in Japan and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask elsewhere.[22]

Source: Wikipedia

A

ALinkToTheLost

3 Days? I think not!

Zelda Gaiden was originally supposed to take course over the history of an entire week, but there was too much time in that left unfilled. So the development team made the time limit just three days.

More to the point, Ura Zelda was in NO WAY Majora's Mask, again, this came from Zelda Gaiden, though MM did recycle the game engine from OoT, and the character layouts, and a lot of the music, and some of the items...
But that all aside it was a good game.

Ura Zelda, on the other hand, was supposed to be a 64DD expansion (? correct me if I'm wrong, that seemed to be the term to use...) of OoT. However it became too long, too expensive, and too tedious to continue. Also, the fact that the 64DD was a flop on the market didn't help things much. Ura Zelda had NEW dungeons, NEW items, NEW characters, and a whole lot of other stuff we Zelda fans may never lay eyes on.

Also, I am considering Beta OoT to be basically Ura Zelda, as most of the extra stuff in the cartridge was for Ura Zelda anyway, the vast majority of the collected data (aside from the main game) probably ( I'm 90% certain) has SOME link to Ura Zelda.

What I'm shocked to see is that most people didn't go back and read the rest of this thread; why even bother replying then? No offense, just your questions will be answered MUCH sooner and MUCH better if you reread the thread, as most people will be generally unwilling to answer your questions unless you have done so, myself included. Plus, you may find out your question was answered, and you may learn more by rereading the thread than you would otherwise. :)

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Can't say what it really is, but Ura is roughly translated into "Subrosian". Perhaps it's a hoax, which stretched the third Oracle game's existence. It was supposed to have a lot to do with the "Ura Tribe".

A

ALinkToTheLost

Subrosian?

Where did you find this out? It sounds pretty interesting.

Also, I liked the Oracle games but really, I thought it was sad they were not in 3-D.

A

Algalord

Hello everyone, I had registered here just to reply to this thread. I hope it isn't disruptive to "necrobump" it, but I really felt compelled to express my feelings on Ura Zelda.

Here's some pertinent information from a Zelda wiki:
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Ura_Zelda
However, whether Master Quest is actually the end result of the Ura Zelda project or merely a quick level-edit to quiet demands and entice preorders is a matter of debate among fans. One significant piece of evidence against it being Ura Zelda is that ROM rips of the game show the game to be the same number of megabits in size as a standard Ocarina of Time ROM, whereas the original concept was to include content above and beyond what an N64 cartridge could possibly hold. It also did not contain any of the promised additional enemies. Furthermore, if one looks into the compiled versions of both Master Quest and the original Ocarina of Time, all 64DD reference has been removed from Master Quest. However, there is an N64 ROM of Master Quest playable on emulators.
While I don't think the evidence is definitive, I am inclined to believe Urza Zelda was an entirely different game from anything we've seen so far. Perhaps some of the ideas have been recycled in later projects, but I don't think Master Quest bears any semblance to Ura Zelda. Master Quest seemed like very minor tweaks to Ocarina of Time, and the changes were so subtle I could hardly see them marketing it as a full-priced sequel or expansion—there just wasn't enough content.

Although perhaps as fans we shouldn't have any inflated sense of entitlement, I feel as if we have been deprived of the true sequel to Ocarina of Time we had been yearning for. Yes, Majora's Mask used the same engine but was set in an entirely different mirror world; Urza Zelda sounds as though it was in the same world with the same characters, but with new dungeons and ramped up difficulty.

Ocarina of Time is considered by many to be the pinnacle of the series and deserving of its accolades, but while playing the game I had felt destitute for challenge: the enemies' AI was too predictable and easily countered and dealt with; it was easy to accrue an overabundant amount of hearts and store countless bottled fairies, making you capable of rushing into any battle with virtual impunity; and even some of the puzzles just didn't feel formidable enough—Ura Zelda would have rectified these problems.

As for the "subrosian" thing, it could have simply meant the game was being developed sub rosa (kept under wraps as a secret project).

W

Wivania

...okay, I'm gonna try to say something to Ura Zelda, even though I'm german. :P (please don't kill me for misspelling and so on :cry:)
I think that the most of you are right, that Ocarina of Time is just a shorter and less dificult version of what was planned. In my opinion, the developers of this game at least tried to leave a hint to these deleted Temples and Items and so on...maybe there were many of them who really wanted U-Z to be released, but then some guys decided that OoT has to be shorter and without these added temples and all that stuff and they decided to leave some traces?
Example: when you look over the Lake Hylia...it seems kinda empty. It looks like there was something bigger before, and also, I wonder why there are these Claw Marks ( I hope this is right, I looked it up :hmm:) in the tree on the isle where you arrive with the Serenade of Water. Maybe there was a bird or a dragon planned?
Well, I don't know. This is just speculation and I wanted to know your opinion, whether it could have been in Ura Zelda or whether my imagination ran riot.
And Master Quest...I don't know. I think, how most of you allready said, it's just a little changed version of OoT and maybe they planned on putting a Deku Baba here and Poe there...
but in the end it's just not even close to that, what I heard of Ura Zelda.
And I think that a petition would be pretty useful, because I don't think that Nintendo is a company that doesn't watch their fans. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes

In my opionion, this is pointlless. Even with another Petition, Nintendo won't release Ura Zelda. The perfect chance was the 3DS Remake of Ocarina of Time. Instead of the mirrored Master Quest expansion, there was a chance to add all the features of Ura Zelda. This was the best opportunity. But Nintendo didn't assigned Grezzo to add the Ura Zelda content into the 3D version. In my opinion, Ura Zelda is lost. Forever.

I heard that Ura Zelda had 2 new tunics. One was white the other was yellow. I also heard that the OoT Arwing fight was gonig to be an easter egg in ura zelda. Plus All the dungeons are rearranged and 2 new dungeons. The ice dungeon and wind dungeon. Thats sounds so awsome.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I heard that Ura Zelda had 2 new tunics. One was white the other was yellow. I also heard that the OoT Arwing fight was gonig to be an easter egg in ura zelda. Plus All the dungeons are rearranged and 2 new dungeons. The ice dungeon and wind dungeon. Thats sounds so awsome.

The White and Yellow tunics would explain those colors in Brawl. (Although yellow is only Brawl. It was black in original and Melee...)

Its so annoying how much they cancel good things yet when they have the tech they dont remake it. Theres ura zelda, zelda 64 (OoT beta ish) and The mystical seed of courage. They sound like such good games.

Nintendo was going to make a third oracle game but since there was problems linking the 3 games we will never see it :(

These tunics are actually available in Ocarina of Time, but only accessible through Game Shark codes or glitches. There are also different colored gauntlets in the game that were canceled in the final version, but still available through glitches. Check these out:

Tunics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koK9phwwnAE&feature=related

Gauntlets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjj8Qjff80U&feature=related

Yes i know but the point of ura zelda was to put in the canceled things of OoT plus some extras ie the tunics. There were also these strange ocarina pedistal but i have no idea what they do. You could also beat your arch enemy the running man. Theres also the unicorn fountain which is where you get the sword beam attack and more importantly the TRIFORCE. It was also suposed to take things from zelda 64 which is not Oot and it would also use the N64DD but the disk drive failed so it was changed to OoT.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
@UraZelda

I've discussed all this in my own Thread of Ura Zelda (a more updated version of this one):

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showt...he-Never-Released-Zelda-64-and-Ura-Zelda-Talk

Another Ura Zelda fanatic. Maybe you will find something in my thread you didn't know before. There is actual some rare stuff to find.
Well, I'm looking forward to the Restoration. It's not official, but at least, the project is more original than Nintendo's Master Quest :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom