• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Unintentional Moments of Brilliance...or "Dumb Luck"

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
The title is facetious - have you ever had a moment that made you look like you were better at a game than you actually were, but was actually achieved through pure luck?

In Ocarina of Time, I had a horrible time with...well, everything, but I'm still bad at archery even now. My first time poe hunting, I wasted hundreds of arrows. For one of the final poes, I stood near what I thought was one of the trigger spots and decided to raise my bow just to test the height it appeared at. As soon as I did I heard the poe laugh and instinctively shot at it. Got it first try and for whatever reason, started laughing like crazy at my luck.

In a replay, I decided to try the skulltala quest on my own. I got 99/100 skulltalas and was groaning at the thought of trekking all over the world to find the last one. Then I remembered a hint that a gossip stone told me (and I didn't seek those out - I only checked them if I was right beside one.) It said that there is a secret in the tree next to the entrance to Kakariko village. So I went there, rolled into the tree, and found the skulltala, wondering at the luck that the hint referred to the only skulltala I was missing. Not only that, but when I checked a gossip stone walkthrough - I realized the hint didn't actually refer to the skulltala, but another secret that was there. What are the odds?

Finally, in Wind Waker, I was playing around in the ocean and for some reason jumped out of my boat. I immediately heard the celestial "Eureka!" music and got back in the boat to use my grappling hook. I had accidentally found a piece of heart before I even had the treasure chart for that area.

I probably have more moments, but those are my most memorable.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well, in WW I was fighting Puppet Ganon's Snake form. This was my first time fighting him in my life, it was about 1 year ago. I was running around, and then I stopped took out my bow, turned towards him, and just randomly fired. I HIT HIM!!! I kept the bow out, and when he came down, I randomly fired again. I HIT HIM AGAIN!!! And the same with the 3rd time. It just made me look like a monster at playing that game, when it was my first time on Puppet Ganon. :D

There's a few more that I can't remember right now.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I didn't think I had one of these, but when I thought about it I realized I did. Recently, when playing MM, I was in the Snowhead Temple and I made it to the boss key mini-boss battle (the weird guy who has several different portals and holograms of himself and one that's real). When all the holograms were flying around I couldn't find the real one so I randomly took out my bow knowing he was about to attack me, turned and shot an arrow and nailed him on pure luck :clap:. It looked pretty cool :cool:, but in reality it was pure panic :lol:

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Mine would be in Oot, when I was facing Phantom Ganon. I picked a random portrait to fire at, and it was the correct one.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I have these all the time when fighting bosses. Epecially when I'm almost dead, as is the boss, and my thoughts go something like, "I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I only have a quarter of a heart left... wait. How did I dodge that attack? Wow! I actually jsut hit the boss? Whoa! I just defeated the boss?"
It's a nice feeling! :)

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I remember an odd dumb-luck moment of mine in ALttP, Eastern Temple, boss battle with the 6 Armos Knights. I am apparently terrible with 2D hand-eye coordination seeing as how I died about a dozen times on the Red Armos Knight, usually by accidentally running under him, and thought it ridiculous I couldn't beat the first boss. So I go in for the umpteenth time, figuring I would die again, and I start shooting arrows like a madwoman trying to take the first five down, and by sheer luck and chance in my erratic button-mashing I manage to hit the 6th Knight immediately after killing the 5th, thereby killing all 6 without any turning red on me. It was a cheap shot, but a cheap shot never felt so good.

octorok74

TETTAC
I had one when I faced Bongo-Bongo for the first time. I had the Hoverboots equipped, but not the Lens of Truth because I thought I needed the hoverboots. When the battle started I shot at the hands, but didn't know what to do. He hit me into the surrounding acid or whatever it is. I got up, hit the hands, and when the hands got closer I just swung my sword and viola he was down on the ground getting slashed in the face. I later found out in a walkthrough that it is recommended you use the Lens of Truth. I still don't use the Lens of Truth. I seriously lucked out in that boss battle.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I know I've said it before on another thread, but for me it was OoT's water temple. Almost everyone else usually complains about how hard it is, but for some reason I always found the keys before standing in front of a locked door and therefore I never had to backtrack a lot and could finish the dungeon relatively quickly (for comparison, I found the forest and spirit temples much more confusing). Adding to that, I killed Morpha extremely quickly by cornering it and mashing down the sword button, didn't lose a single heart there (comparison: I was almost dead after fighting Phantom Ganon and I had no fairies left for the fight because I had to use them for the 2nd Stalfos mini-boss battle - I was slow enough to let one of them respawn continuously - pathetic, eh?).

Another one I can think of right now was in Twilight Princess, at the Bulbin Base before entering Arbiter's Grounds. There was that grilled boar on a spit, and as I walked past it, I noticed that it was Z-targetable for a fracture of a second, and that made me think "Wait, why can I target that?" Went back, slashed multiple time against it and voilà - I got a heart piece!

linkman8

True and Noble
I was playing TP one time with my younger siblings watching, and I managed to jump off of a really high rise, press the sword button in mid-air, and come down more than 20 feet right on top of an enemy, killing it. They thought I was awesome, but in fact I just wanted to do a mid-air slice.

Jmonkey71

Master of Monkeys
Often times in games, I get stuck at a part, and I try about a million and one times, but I can't figure it out. I stop playing for a day or two and return to the part. I do it once and I FIGURE IT OUT IMMEDIATELY! Whats more, it was something that was right in front of my face. I get irritated with things like that.

A lot of these moments happen from AoL.
One thing that happened to me was that I forgot to place one of the crystals into its... pedestal? Anyway, I noticed that since I was at the Hidden Palace, I should only have one more crystal. I had two, so I was convinced that I forgot to place a crystal in its pedestal. I was right. The palace where I forgot to place the crystal was the Island Palace.
The Island Palace's boss is a Blue Iron Knuckle. The only boss that I could not defeat. I let my brother try and he killed him. Then I went back to find the Raft and continue to the game. I was close to a Game Over when I got to the Raft and I had to go through a Blue Iron Knuckle. I saved after the Raft.
So now I've entered this palace a second time. When I got to the boss's room, he was there again, and he killed me once. Then I beat him. That was luck, but what was even more brilliant was the fact that when you place a crystal in its pedestal, you get enough experience for a level up. I was at Level 7 for Magic. It takes 7000 experience points, I think, to go to the next, and final, level for Magic. It was amazing. All I had to do after that was get Link's attack to level 8.

Epwna

The epic turnip king
In OoT, I was looking for the last heart piece. I was in northwestern Hyrule. I randomly started using items. I used a bomb first, and the first one revealed the hole. I was 6,too. Not telling what year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom