• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Twilight Princess Vs Skyward Sword

Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword?

• Twilight Princess(2006)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skyward Sword(2011)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No, I don't really think SS is better than TP. Skyward Sword is basically Twilight Princess 2.0, and that should automatically make it *better* than it's predecessor, however the same flaws that were present in TP are there in SS. I'll pick Skyward Sword because they made some obvious improvements, but that doesn't mean SS has lost any and all flaws.

I am sorry everyone for the corrupt wording I used in the above post, I will edit it to make more sense.​

EDIT: SS is better than TP. However, I think of SS as TP2.0 because I see many of the flaws that were present in Twilight Princess as still being in Skyward Sword. Not all of them, though, are in SS. I pick SS because of its obvious improvements.

Last edited:

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
No, I don't really think SS is better than TP. Skyward Sword is basically Twilight Princess 2.0, and that should automatically make it *better* than it's predecessor, however the same flaws that were present in TP are there in SS. I'll pick Skyward Sword because they made some obvious improvements, but that doesn't mean SS has lost any and all flaws.

you don't think SS is better than TP but are choosing SS over TP because they made improvements in SS from TP but the problems of TP were in SS...have i got that right? if i have, i'm REALLY confused

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

My first question is what flaws were carried over? Twilight Princess had many glaring flaws, whereas Skyward Sword had no major flaws to take away from the experience. My second is why contradict yourself by saying "no, I don't think it's better," but then turn around and pick Skyward Sword?

C

chriscrk

Veeery tough to decide really. I think I'd go with SS. They both have their pro's and con's, of course, but in general, something about SS makes me like it better. Maybe I need to play TP again, though.

In general, something about SS I loved was the fact that the "structure" of the game in general felt different. TP reminded me a lot of OoT. First three temples, forest, fire, water. In these initial three temples, you need to gather three objects which together accomplish something, just like in OoT. And then after that you have the other temples which involve obtaining other objects which together also accomplish something when together. Idk, I guess it's my opinion, but the structure of TP felt recycled (I still loved it though, and prefered it over OoT). SS on the other hand, felt different. Sure, it had forest > fire > water, but it didn't feel as similar to OoT as TP did (in my opinion). I guess TP also had the story line involving Ganondorf and capturing Zelda which felt all too similar. But that's my way of seeing it, and in that sense, I felt SS was better. The story line felt much more fresh and different and brought some nice twists.

The sword combat and general item use in SS wins of course (only thing I don't like is that you can't swing the sword and cut grass while running, like in TP). Having to re-use items you got in other dungeons was nice. I used to think I prefered a vast land much more than a tiny one, but SS changed that. I loved TP for how big Hyrule was, and it is nice regardless, but SS's Hyrule was much better in my opinion, exploring was better, seeing places I knew I'd have to return to later in the game cuz I didn't have the items to reach them yet was exciting.

Character wise, VERY tough xD In SS, most characters felt like they had a lot going for them. They all felt like they had a small quirk to them which made them memorable, even if it was the antique loving woman who doesn't really contribute anything in the entire game. But some characters felt a bit... shallow. I never felt any interest in that new race in the lake area. I can't even remember their names because they're so boring xD

But SS Zelda made me want to save her, TP Zelda, not so much. Midna beats Fi. Fi was nice, but as many have stated, she made useless comments, and losing her at the end didn't make me as sad as losing Midna. Ghirahim beats Zant x10000. Zant seemed amazing at first, but he was a bit of a let down. Ghirahim went from amazing to even more amazing. I loved him through out the entire game. Idk what to think about Demise... he could have been better, I think. The battle with him, although tough, felt short. Ganondorf was much better in that respect.

Anyway, I'm ranting loads lol. Not bringing anything new. They're both amazing games, but SS wins for me. They're veeery close together, but SS made me feel much more involved all the way through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Majora's Cat

How about that
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are two of the most skillfully crafted games of all time. These Zelda titles are clearly a cut above the rest and have Game of the Year awards under their belts. While five long years set these games apart, both offer up various dungeons, bewildering puzzles, bosses to conquer and environments for the player to explore. Even though they are both Wii titles, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are vastly different. While TP plays it safe by giving Link a beautified version of Ocarina of Time to play around in, SS heads the franchise off in a new direction.

Twilight Princess

In the exposition, Link is a mere farm boy confronted with the challenge of rescuing his childhood friends from strange dangers. Such perils pale in comparison to what he’s in for next. Our humble hero eventually meets up with Midna, an imp-like creature with an unforgettable attitude. Her snappy demeanor is both adorable and alluring at the same time - a nice change in pace from fairies being Link’s companion. He will also gain the ability to transform into a wolf, but will only be able to do so at will until well into the game. The most endearing aspect of Twilight Princess is definitely the amount of nostalgia that it packs for those who were fond of Ocarina of Time, and that the game fine tunes Zelda’s visuals, music, gameplay and controls.

Despite the Wii’s innovative new controls, the GameCube version of Twilight Princess was more warmly received by critics. The Wii version, in comparison, stumbled into a lukewarm reception for the inability to clearly distinguish itself from the original GC version. The completion of the Wii during the last leg of TP’s development journey gave Nintendo a very slim opportunity to create a Wii port of the game, and they pulled it off with little to no time left to spare. It is truly a technical marvel, but leaves Twilight Princess on Wii a literal carbon copy of the original.

This deficiency in technological advancement shows clearly in the unclean graphics. Although vistas are easily appreciate from afar, Twilight Princess arguably falls short when seem from up close. Not to say that the game isn’t pretty - it definitely set a new standard for graphics in Zelda games, appealing to a large number of people, but also repulsing others. In the end, it isn’t the graphics that make or break a Zelda game, as the core of the experience lies in the gameplay and level design.

Twilight Princess’ gameplay is where it shines brightest, showing off a near-perfect set of controls that feel fluid and very easy to use. There’s no doubt that the Wii controls make aiming easier, though it left the player wishing for more in terms of sword combat. Skyward Sword addresses this problem, which it should, since the game was built specifically for the Wii. Gunning down enemies never felt so satisfying, and this new method of control gives the player more flexibility and accuracy when it comes to aiming and shooting carefully. Some gamers may remember the slippery and highly sensitive controls of previous Zelda titles when it came to shooting arrows. At times, it could be immensely frustrating to the point where the real battle was with the controls, not with challenges in-game. Twilight Princess rids players of this haunting memory and replaces it with something truly innovative and accessible.

Many tend to complain about the game’s not-so-daunting difficulty. Seasoned veterans were disappointed that Twilight Princess didn’t turn out to be as challenging as they had hoped. Nintendo’s intentions were clearly to appeal to a broader audience and draw in less experienced gamers. This attempt was relatively successful, as TP sold an unprecedented 6.5 million copies, second only to Ocarina of Time. Puzzles weren’t particularly mind-bending, though they were devious enough to take a good five-to-ten minutes or so out of the player’s time. Dungeons oftentimes have multiple floors and are of massive scale. Progressing through these dungeons is not terribly difficult, but they are very lengthy and will sometimes takes upwards of an hour to complete for veterans.

Bosses, while large in stature, were painfully short and undemanding. The strategies to defeat them were made obvious by large weak spots imprinted on their foreheads or a blatantly defenseless eyeball. In true Zelda fashion, many of these bosses could be defeated by striking them repeatedly and weakening them three times in the same attack pattern until they fall. I have to give credits to the game for having some of the most powerful-looking and intimidating bosses in the franchise, but when these titans’ hardened exteriors are stripped away, all that’s left are pitiful, frail, easily decipherable bosses.

What Twilight Princess lacks in difficulty, it makes up for in length and sidequests. There are extras aplenty, and you can either choose to ignore them or pursue these goodies: Heart Pieces, Poe Souls, Golden Bugs, etc. TP is an undeniably long game, perhaps the longest in the series alongside Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. There are nine dungeons in total, and some of them are cleverly located. When Link has battled his way through numerous enemies and dungeons, he will find himself face-to-face with the big boss - Ganondorf. The final boss is the epitome of epic, the king of intimidation and the ruler of darkness, making for one of the lengthiest and heart-pounding battles ever. The icing on the cake is Link’s swordfight with Ganondorf (which is mimicked to some extent in Skyward Sword), and topped off with a surprisingly somber and tear-jerking ending.

The credits and the music that accompanies the slideshow is quietly beautiful, leaving a lasting impression on myself and millions of gamers around the world. If there’s something I can say about Twilight Princess, it’s that its final moments put the entire adventure into perspective, inspiring me to truly appreciate video games as art.

Skyward Sword

Skyward Sword takes everything that Twilight Princess did right and improves on them. Moreover, SS eliminates some of the franchise’s greatest flaws. Imperfections that used to cripple Zelda games become nothing more than scabs, and the game is sure to set a precedent for Zelda games in the future. Nintendo has already stated that future Zeldas will utilize motion gaming, and SS is the golden standard of motion gaming that will likely be the blueprint that Nintendo will work with when developing new Zeldas.

This title is hailed by some as the greatest Zelda game ever made, and others despise it. It all depends on how gamers viewed the drastic change in direction for the series. I have no doubt that in time Skyward Sword will be viewed as an unsung masterpiece in the franchise. The game is still new and being barraged with criticisms because of its motion controls, fragmented overworld and compacted level design, but people will eventually come to terms with Skyward Sword and see it as a game to celebrate.

SS combines the Wind Waker’s graphics with Twilight Princess’, creating a timeless fusion of realism and cel-shading that is best described as impressionistic. The visuals make environments look like watercolor paintings come to life, as the coloring of objects is always uneven (simulating watercolor). It’s quite hard to explain, but TP’s visuals will not be palatable to all, and SS has a much more aesthetically pleasing quality to it that won’t tarnish over time.

Areas are very compact, but enormous amounts of content are crammed into them. SS doesn’t waste time, and sometimes the segments between dungeons can feel like dungeons themselves - there are puzzles riddled all over the land, and traversing the terrain proves a worthy challenge in itself. This can either be viewed as Skyward Sword’s greatest strength or fault, depending on whether or not you like the switch from the traditional dungeon-overworld-dungeon-overworld pattern. Much unlike Zelda games before it, the Lanayru area, instead of being filled to the brim with water, is instead filled with sand. There is still an underlying water theme, though it’s somewhat unnoticeable since most players will associate the Lanayru Desert with designated sand areas from other games.

Ghirahim, who was originally thought to be the final boss of Skyward Sword before the unveiling of Demise, makes appearances throughout the game like Zant did. We do not fear Ghirahim, as his demeanor or less-than-intimidating and he seems to like to bother Link too much. To make up for Ghirahim’s flamboyant and silly attitude, Nintendo decided to squeeze Demise into the equation. What Skyward Sword does better than Twilight Princess is that Demise’s existence is not a complete shock. Cutscenes well before the final hours of the game suggest that Demise is the final boss and that Ghirahim is the equivalent of Agahnim or Zant, and Demise is much like Ganon in that sense.

We expect to fight Demise, which is already a step above Twilight Princess’ curveball with Ganondorf. Speaking of Demise, Link’s faceoff with him is beyond comprehension. The fight is short if you know what to do, but otherwise, it can be quite a bit to handle the first few times. The music for the battle is fully orchestrated and captures the moment perfectly. A booming chorus amplifies the weight of the situation - the fate of Hyrule rests on Link’s shoulders, and this battle determines it. The final battle is the ideal send-off for one of the most dazzling adventures in gaming history.

What’s most surprising about Skyward Sword is that despite the weak impression it left at E3 2010, Nintendo was able to crank out a kick-*** game that completely exceeded my expectations. Level design is beyond brilliant, and I would like to think that it is unparalleled by any video game to date. It’s very difficult not to fall in love with SS, though some may not appreciate the light tone and how much the game veers off the beaten path. SS wasn’t what I was expecting as Nintendo’s first Wii-specific Zelda adventure - in a good way.

My Verdict

Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess don’t appeal to everybody, and that certainly shows in how both have been bombarded with criticisms. SS does everything that TP did better, while some mechanics and concepts that the game introduces to the franchise have been thought by some to hinder the game. No matter how you look at it, though, Skyward Sword is a daredevil of a game. If that doesn’t count for anything, then nothing does. My vote goes for Skyward Sword, as it’s basically perfected motion gaming and isn’t afraid to make a name for itself.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
so now it's 3-9 so SS. though it would be a closer battle than that

I am sorry everyone for the corrupt wording I used in the above post, I will edit it to make more sense.​

EDIT: SS is better than TP. However, I think of SS as TP2.0 because I see many of the flaws that were present in Twilight Princess as still being in Skyward Sword. Not all of them, though, are in SS. I pick SS because of its obvious improvements.

that makes much more sense, thanks for clearing that up

I'll go with Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess didn't was what I expected. Skyward Sword was much more of what I expected.

Majora's Cat

How about that
I'll go with Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess didn't was what I expected. Skyward Sword was much more of what I expected.

Funny you should say that, Skyward Sword came as a complete surprise to me. What you said is flexible and can be taken a few different ways, but I believe you meant one of these two things:

• Twilight Princess was a disappointment, therefore it wasn't what you expected. Skyward Sword was great, as expected from a Zelda game.
  • Twilight Princess was very strange and peculiar while Skyward Sword strayed less from the norm.
Seeing as how the statement can be interpreted as either of these, I'll respond to both. The former of the two listed above is sort of true. Most Zelda games surprise gamers with how amazing they are. At first glance from trailers they won't seem like anything special, but when they're released, the reviews are stellar. Skyward Sword wasn't particularly palatable for many people at the E3 2010 convention, but as more and more was revealed about the game, it started shaping up to look like one hell of a game.

Twilight Princess, on the other hand, had huge hype surrounding it but failed to deliver the experience it promised. TP is still a great game, but hardly lived up to the expectations. Skyward Sword had much lower expectations and really stunned some reviewers and gamers. However, its fresh new approach to Zelda games wasn't taken so well by others.

Responding to the second of the two possibilities... well, I would say that the statement is completely untrue. Twilight Princess is modeled after Ocarina of Time and was developed to be like a newer, more polished version of the N64 game. That it was. But the game ultimately failed to make a name for itself as a unique experience, despite the addition of the Twilight Realm.

Skyward Sword still incorporates the motion controls from Twilight Princess, but does so in a better way. The player really feels like Link and eliminates the shallowness of TP's motion controls. Not only that, SS changes the Zelda formula and makes the entire game (essentially) one big dungeon. There are no peaceful segments, no riding leisurely through Hyrule Field - none of that. The introduction of the stamina meter and other new attributes also help SS differentiate itself from previous installments.

It would be great if you could clarify about what you meant by your post. :>

MW7

I struggle to think of a single thing that I prefer in Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword so Skyward Sword wins IMO. Maybe dungeon length and difficulty was slightly better in Twilight Princess, but that's about it. The quests between dungeons (meaning things you have to do like finding Kikwis and not sidequests) in Skyward Sword were mostly fun and interesting whereas some of quests in Twilight Princess I'd classify as no less than torture (tears of light). Literally the only required things outside of dungeons that I liked in Twilight Princess were the enemy camp in Gerudo Desert and snowboarding on Snowpeak.

The overworlds of both games didn't seem that great to me, but I think Skyward Sword's overworld wins my preference. The overall design of Twilight Princess is exactly how a Zelda overworld should never be designed IMO with big area connected by stone hallway to next big area. I think it's bad because it discourages exploration almost entirely until you've completed half of the game. I do think there were some better secrets hidden in Twilight Princess's overworld, especially the lantern caves. Skyward Sword had the same problem as Wind Waker IMO of requiring you to use a certain method of transport with everything seeming a little farther away than necessary so it takes longer than I think it should to get anywhere. The surface made Twilight Princess look like a joke, but the sky was a little lacking IMO.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i'll just do what i do when people ask about OoT vs MM, show my video:

[video=youtube;J_Y7F_2HopU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Y7F_2HopU[/video]

S

Scarpath

I like both of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I haven't finished Skyward Sword yet, but I have finished Twilight Princess. I liked the story of Twilight Princess, but so far Skyward Sword tops it. I think they should make a sequel to Twilight Princess, being in the Twilight Realm more with the Twili. But I don't see how they can do that when Midna shattered the Mirror of Twilight in the end of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom