• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess (General Questions)

Austin

Austin
New poster here, so if this topic has been brought forward countless times, be gentle :(.

I just have a few basic questions about Twilight Princess. I recently got back into Zelda, and I am considering buying TP.

1)Is the Gamecube version of the game just as good as the Wii version? (All content still included, same experience, graphics, etc.)
2)What do the game's objectives boil down to essentially? (ie. Ocarina had the three stones then the six medallions, original just had you obtain pieces of the triforce).
3)This is a more subjective question but, how would you compare this to Ocarina of Time? (Slightly better, just as good, awful in comparison....).

Those were all I could think of off the top of my head. Any responses are very much appreciated.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
This thread should probably be moved to the "Twilight Princess" section, but I'll reply anyway.

1. Yes, in fact the GCN version is better, IMO. The game was originally intended to be a Gamecube game. You can potentially play it at 480p, Progressive Scan on either system, provided you have the right cables. The only difference is that the Wii's map is flipped, and the controls are a little different. You can play the Gamecube version on the Wii, so which version you get really depends on whether you want to use the Wiimote or the GCN controller.

2. Collect 3 Fused Shadows (by collecting Tears of Light in three areas covered in Twilight), and then collect the 4 pieces of the Mirror of Twilight.

3. It's pretty much a carbon copy of OoT. The main attraction of this game is that it's a similar experience to OoT, and allows you to do a lot of things that you couldn't do in that game like horseback combat. It's also missing a few of OoT's features, though, such as magic spells and the Ocarina. There's also not as many NPCs to interact with, and it's a bit more linear and prescribed than OoT due to the Twilight limiting where you can go. The game is worth it for the overall storyline and the classic Zelda gameplay, though.

U

UltramarineZora

I'm going to reply as well, since I have played both games.

1.) I played the Gamecube version of TP, and I loved it. The reason was because I am pretty old school, so the controller is more my style than the Wii remote. The game you buy really depends on which way you wanna play it. Controller vs. Wii remote. Also, the Gamecube version can be played on the Wii, but I believe you still have to use a controller and plug it into the Wii. This is one of those things where you have to choose from your interests.

2.) Just as athenian200 said. You collect 3 Fused shadow pieces to help out Midna. (This is done by collecting Tears of Light which are cursed by Twilight. The Tears of Light are the spirits of each land.) Then after that is accomplished, then you must collect the 4 pieces of the Mirror of Twilight. (This is done by searching/discovering new lands and simply searching/defeating new enemies and temples.)

3.) My own opinion, I liked TP better in the sense of new worlds. In TP, there are several new worlds to explore, along with Hyrule being MUCH larger than the Hyrule in OoT. Also, TP is Realistic, with much better quality, and it being very pixelated makes it a great view. The scenery in the game is astonishing as well. Besides this, there are many of the same weapons in TP as OoT. TP is essentially the basics of OoT, with more effect and side-adventures. As athenian200 said, and I agree, the game is most definitely worth the play for scenery and for gameplay.

Hope this helped! c:

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
1. No, the GC version is not as good as the Wii version. In the Wii version, you can swing the Wii Remote as if it is an actual sword, where as in the GC version, you cannot do that. So again, no, the GC version of TP is not just as good as the Wii version.

2. Your companion in this game is an Twilight Princess. Her name is Midna. Twilight tries to take over Hyrule as Zant turns the Twilight Princess, Midna, into an imp. You must collect three fused shadows and then three pieces of the Mirror of Twilight.

3. There are a lot of comparisons to OoT, but in more ways than none, TP can be slightly not as good as OoT. There is a little more to OoT than there is to TP. There are more objectives in OoT than in TP. But in more ways than none, if you like a dark game, then TP is way better then OoT on that scale.

Note: There is no musical instrument in TP.

I hope this helped you!

~Moved to Twilight Princess section~ ;)

1. The Gamecube and Wii versions are identical save for a couple of really minor differences. First and foremost is the control scheme. Gamecube plays like every 3D Zelda game in history does. Wii has motion controls (and from what I've heard, not very good ones). Second, the Wii version is mirrored. The reason for this is because they needed to switch Link to being right-handed for the Wii version (because most people are right-handed). Somehow it was easier to mirror the entire game than it was to change Link's model, so that's what they did. It just means left is right and right is left. Map, dungeons, character models, etc.. Has no real effect on the gameplay, but it bugs me like hell and it's the main reason I got the GC version. And I think there might be one or two minor differences, like I heard that the Wii game is the only one with Green ChuChus, but they're not any different than normal ones since there's no Magic Meter for you to replenish with their jelly. And the graphics, gameplay, design, etc., are all the same between both games.

2. The objectives differ as you progress. First it's free the land of Twilight, which involves the game's main Wolf Link sequences, as well as three dungeons where you acquire the pieces of a dangerous magic artifact that you need to defeat the villain. Then it's collecting pieces of a mirror which can be used as a portal to the Twilight Realm where the villain resides. Then it's bust up the bad-guy. :P

3. I'd say Twilight Princess tried to copy and borrow from Ocarina of Time wayyy too much. And in my opinion it failed. It had some nice ideas, but it needed more time and probably a little more individuality.

I definitely think you should get TP. It's my second least favorite game in the series, but that's not saying much consider every game in the series is way at the top of my faovirte game list. ;)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
1) I've only played the GC version and do not have a Wii. From what I hear, though, I'd say it's the best value for your money since (I believe) you can get the GC version cheaper/used and the Wii version has everything flipped. It was originally meant to be a GC game and the GC game preserves Link's awsome left-handedness. (I'm not a lefty, myself, but I think Link's left-handedness is awesome).

2) After the intro/training/easing into the adventure sequences, your first dungeons are exercises in obtaining pieces of the powerful Fused Shadows for Midna. After that, it gets a little spoilery - there's one dungeon where you are trying to obtain something, more dungeons where you are collecting pieces of something, dungeon for going after the next-to-big-bad, then the final ulimtate showdown of ultimate destiny, which itself is broken into a four-part battle of awesome. (TP's final battle sequence is my favorite of all Zelda games).

3) Subjective, indeed. Twilight Princess is my personal favorite Zelda game. It's what got *me* back into Zelda after years and years. I played it before I got to play Ocarina of Time, so I got a good impression of TP "raw." It seems that most people who've played OoT first like OoT better, but as you see, most still find it a good game. To me, they're both very close. I'd say that TP is very much like if you took Ocarina of Time and crossed it over with A Link to the Past. A lot of weaponry, gameplay, and major themes are borrowed from OoT, while the "Dark World" element (Twilight) and the animal world/becomming a beast are borrowed from ALTTP. I *object* when people while that TP is "just a OoT clone" though. I have to wonder what game they were playing. There are no Spiritual Stones, no Sages. Link doesn't use a magic meter... TP is a little more "grit." Some people disliked that, I personally liked it a lot.

I'd say that there's a lot of similar gameplay to other Zelda titles, with some expansion (swordfighting on horseback), but I think what I like about TP best is the story. I think, storywise, the best other Zelda game to compare it to might be Majora's Mask -- you have interesting, fleshed-out side characters with their own story that your quest afffects. You actually get to know some of the NPCs pretty well - or at least I did. And... Midna. Midna is, in my opinion, the most awsome Partner ever. Navi was pretty much just a mechanic (and I'm not a Navi-basher here, I rather liked her), but Midna is a full-on character (almost steals the spotlight from Link) who's emotions and motivations unfold as the game goes on.

So, yeah, TP comes highly recommended by me, at least. And I'm this 30 year old Zelda fan who remembers when the first game was new. :lol:

Austin

Austin
Thanks for the answers everyone (and for moving the page, still new at this X|). I've ordered the game but have one final question, about how long does the game last?

I'd say this game will last about 6-7 hours when you breeze ahead. Normally it will take 9-10 hors. If you want everything. Then expect 11-14 hours.

Can't say I exactly agree there. Seems I usually get 20 hours of gameplay at least. And since he hasn't played it I doubt he'll finish it that quickly.

vatti

The Acorn sized Magician
1. I haven't played the game cube version, but i thought that the only thing different was they were exactly opposite.

2.well, first you have to find four parts of this thing that is kind of like the thing that midna wears, (i'm sorry i forgot the name of it), then you find the four parts of the mirror of twilight, then you venture into the realm of twilight to find and defeat zant, then you go defeat ganondorf. sorry if i spoiled the game for you.

3. don't know how to answer this question, since i have never played the ocarina of time, though i do want to.

vatti

The Acorn sized Magician
1. I haven't played the game cube version, but i thought that the only thing different was they were exactly opposite.

2.well, first you have to find four parts of this thing that is kind of like the thing that midna wears, (i'm sorry i forgot the name of it), then you find the four parts of the mirror of twilight, then you venture into the realm of twilight to find and defeat zant, then you go defeat ganondorf. sorry if i spoiled the game for you.

3. don't know how to answer this question, since i have never played the ocarina of time, though i do want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom