• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess TP. Good or Bad?

TP is a pretty controversial game, some hate it and others love it (personally, it's my second favorite zelda game:)) i loved how the game went back to the series' 3D roots. i loved how it didn't have any real gimmicks yet was still innovative. i also love the graphics and how much emotion they evoke. it had it's flaws i won't deny that, but i loved it. tell me what you guys think about the game, i can't wait to hear your answers, be they good or bad:)

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I love that game. I agree on a technicall level the game has flaws but I loved the story and the characters.
The game had a bitter sweet ending that I adored and Midna was a favorite for me.

Danlo

Daniel
TP it's actually my favorite Zelda game. I liked the dungeons, New Items and the plot. The game of course could be better, some of the things I didn't liked about it was that some of the items weren't required to use much and collecting Tears of light was kind of a boring thing. But these are just minor things

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
There's a pretty similar thread to this one entitled "I Think It's The Weakest Zelda" or something similar to that. It can be found here: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?12520-I-Think-It-s-the-Weakest-Zelda

I don't find that a similar thread at all. That thread talks about the weakest Zelda, not TP. The starter of the thread just gave his opinion, but this thread is on TP only.

I think TP is a really good Zelda game, actually it is my favorite. I liked the story, characters, and the realistic graphics.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
My personal opinion is that it's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it did have a fair amount of flaws.
Personally I didn't really like the visuals all that much. The character designs were good, but the game had so much bloom and brown that it just looked muddy, uninteresting, and generic.
I know they were trying to go with a more realistic route, but realism isn't that bloomy.
The fighting system was rather fun, what with the new moves and all. And the new items were quite enjoyable as well (DOUBLE HOOKSHOT OH GOD I'M SPIDERMAN). But it had a serious lack of side quests and mini games. The few side quests that it did have were....well...boring. I don't consider gathering bugs much fun....although Agitha was admittedly adorable.
And there's....that one cut scene.....you know the one....
I cringed and wanted to bang my head against the wall. NO LINK, YOU CAN'T DO AN EVIL LAUGH. STOP THAT. It was all so unnatural and awkward and out of place that I wish it didn't happen.
I know it's an important cut scene because it explains a lot, but I didn't enjoy it at all.
But, on the flip side, this scene is amazing and I wish I had a bigger resolution so that I could make it my wallpaper.
content

The story was interesting, however I felt that Ganon was completely unnecessary.
Personally, I want more non-Toon games where Ganon isn't the main boss. To me it just seemed like they threw him in there as an after thought because they thought it would please fans more.
Generally, I think they stayed from the path a little to gather in more "mature" gamers into the series. Zelda art direction over the years has been...sketchy at best. Many Zelda games show many different art styles and directions and inconsistencies, but this is the most...grim. I'm sure people like the "grimdark" aspect, but personally I just don't care for it.
I guess my general point is that the game is full of pros and cons.
Some people like to look at all the cons and unleash all their pent up fury on the game, while others like to look at all the pros and put the game on a pedestal.
I'm somewhere in between. No, it's not really the best Zelda game out there, but it still deserves its spot in the sunshine.
That's my opinion, anyway.

Majora's Cat

How about that
TP is very good! It was my first Zelda game, and it changed the way I viewed gaming for my entire life. Twilight Princess was not always praised by everyone, but I still love it! (Plus the GC version has the 11th highest ranking on GameRankings!)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I absolutely love it!! Yes sometime sthe storyline is getting a bit cheesy but still the game is fun to play. Some people indeed hate it badly and others love it. I thought it was a fun game to play and I play it everytime when I complete it again. Midna is indeed changing for the better and I like her very much. But as always the villains are the ones I like the most (besides Link) so yeah Zant was completely awesome. I only wished it would have been more difficult. It was really easy. But still my most fav Zelda game

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
Nice to see nobody's really said it's bad, because I love it. Not my favorite, but it's up there.
Detailed graphics, good music, very smooth gameplay, decent plot, fun dungeons, etc.

Austin

Austin
It's definitely not a bad game, in my opinion at least. It has its flaws, maybe a lot of flaws, but I think it'd be unfair to say that it's crap. I think many people were disappointed when it came out due to the amount of hype the game generated and how it didn't measure up in most people's eyes. I wasn't a huge Zelda fan when it was released so I can't really offer an opinion on that, however.

I have mixed feelings about TP, really. During my first play-through, it was an absolute blast. I had only had a few quibbles (absence of magic, having to talk to Midna every time I wanted to turn into a wolf, etc.), but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed myself while playing. The real issues set in when I replayed it. I found myself feeling forced to beat the first three temples so I could get some amount of freedom and wasn't limited by the Twilight any longer. The ridiculously low difficulty bugged me as the novelty of fighting a new boss was gone, and all I could focus on was that I wasn't being challenged at all. I had fun getting things like Heart Pieces and Bugs that I had missed during my first play-through, but other than that, I was fairly bored.

So overall, I found TP a semi-mediocre game. A good game overall, but compared to the quality games I usually get from Zelda and Nintendo overall, it paled in comparison.

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I thought it was a great game. It has flaws but what game doesn't? No game is absolutely perfect. I thought the good things about the game more than made up for its flaws anyways. To me, it's unfairly treated and is often looked down upon for minor reasons.
--------------------------------
I'll start out with the GOOD.

-Characters: The characters of the game were very deep and showed their emotions. Many characters (Especially Midna) were dynamic characters that changed over time which is something that is relatively rare in the Zelda series. Overall, I thought the characters were memorable and well-designed.
-Items: Sure, most were rarely used outside their respective temples but who gives a poop? They were fun while they lasted. Items like the spinner, ball & chain, dominion rod and double clawshot were new to the series and I would gladly welcome a return of any of them in a future game. Unlike most past items, they were innovative, different and most importantly, I got a kick out of using them.
-Emotion/Depth: I think TP handled emotion and darkness very well. Not as much as say, Majora's Mask, but still good. Emotion is something that I look for in a Zelda game. I like it when a cutscene can pull at my heartstrings and make me feel for the characters.
-Epicness: TP had an epic feel. Everything was BIG; BIG fields, BIG bridges, BIG waterfalls, BIG towns, BIG bosses. Although sometimes it felt a little empty, it still had a great atmosphere. I really felt like I was saving a kingdom rather than a tiny field with a few residents scattered around the outside. Everything was a "WOW!" factor and that custscene after Link defeats King Bulbin on the bridge and he raises his sword in triumph and Epona goes on her hind legs was especially incredible.
-Dungeons: I felt that TP had some of the best dungeons in the series. They were large, usually had a great item and the boss fights were always fun. :)
Just OKAY.

-
Music: The music was just alright, to me at least. I mean, the music fit the atmosphere of each area perfectly but that doesn't mean it was very memorable. There were only a few standouts in my opinion and the rest was just a bit... dull. The music sounded hollow and tinny and could have been better.
-Graphics: I like that it was more realistic but most of the areas had a very muddy color pallet which seemed to dull down the game.
And now we're left with what I didn't like: The BAD.

-
Story: I know that the story is one of the most praised things about the game but I just found it to be a mess of linear events. Most parts of the main story had little relevance to the rest of the story and would have been better off as sidequests (Which I'll get to now).
-Sidequests: There weren't very many times when I actually left the main story to go do something else. Other than heartpieces, the only sidequests in the game were collectiions (Bugs, poes) which I don't care for because they don't really add much depth to the game. I felt trapped in one story.
-Exploration: I was almost always guided and being told what to do and where to go. This didn't leave much to the imagination and I never felt any curiosity to go elsewhere. There would be no point in leaving the story to go explore anything because I wouldn't find anything other than caves with rupees and a few enemies here and there. I find it ironic that the largest, most expansive game in the entire series has the least amount of exploration.

Overall, it was a satisfying game. I did have a few story-related grievances but I tend to look at the positives instead of the negatives. It still holds a spot in my top 5 and I still think it's a wonderful game. :)

Kybyrian

The game is far from bad. It is very good, but it did have a few flaws to it that make my opinion on much lesser than what should be.

I've said it in quite a few threads already, and I feel that this is a very good way of explaining it. The game was really spectacular at the beginning, and made you want to keep playing. You were very excited and thought that it would truly finally surpass Ocarina of Time and score as the greatest game of all time. You were almost certain that it could only get better. Unfortunately, that's not true. The game started off so good, but seemed to drop in the appeal afterward. It began to get repetitive with the twilight stuff, and then became almost boring in a few parts. It's hard to explain what made it drop in quality as it did, but I believe the twilight thing was a major factor. It wasn't really different every time, and it got pretty boring. They also kind of quit improving on it later. In the beginning things kept getting better and better, but after that they stayed the same or even dropped in quality, going above what it was very few times.

In all, I believe Twilight Princess was a very appealing game, but it could have been so much greater if they had put more effort into the later parts of the game. If they would have just kept improving on every little thing right up through the very end, then it truly would have been spectacular. Twilight Princess would have most certainly surpassed Ocarina of Time on my list if it would have continued to improve, but it sadly did not do so.

I think that Twilight Princess is a great Zelda game. Personally I think it's better then OOT. It had alot of fun things in it, like the horseback fights. Plus it had some very interesting dungeons(Goron Mines, Arbiter's Grounds, and my favorite Snowpeak Ruins).
I also thought that the game had a great story, with characters that had real character development(Midna). And the twist that Ganondorf was controling Zant made things more interesting.
I think that the game gets an unfair amount of hate. It certainly isn't a perfect game, but OOT wasn't perfect either(despite what the fanboys might say).

AaronX

One who sits
I really liked TP. It wasn't my favorite Zelda, but it's #2. OoT pwns. Now, TP had a fair number of mini-games, not a lot, but it didn't have way too little. It had great graphics, and I really liked how it told the story. And just for the record, I thought Zant was a phony from the beginning. I knew Ganon was gonna appear eventually. It was a great game. I liked how it had the Gorons and the Zoras with new graphics and I thought the story was creative and stuff. Good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom