• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top 10 Games of the 7th Generation

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I do want to ask a question regarding the 3DS in particular. It's technically an 8th generation portable having released after the DSiXL, but still within the timeframe where the 7th gen was going strong. Does it count as an 8th gen system or not? If it counts as 7th gen, I really need to reform my list.

Generation is determined by hardware not release date. The 3DS is an 8th Gen console, along with the PS Vita, Wii U and soon PS4 and eventually whatever Microsoft glue together and sell for hundreds of pounds.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I do want to ask a question regarding the 3DS in particular. It's technically an 8th generation portable having released after the DSiXL, but still within the timeframe where the 7th gen was going strong. Does it count as an 8th gen system or not? If it counts as 7th gen, I really need to reform my list.

It's up to you. I mean... it's your list. I'm merely going by the timeframe of when the first 7th and 8th gen consoles were released, both home and handheld (for their respective timeframes). No DS/PSP games made it onto my list, though, so handheld games aren't an issue for me.

Ganondork

goo
Time to revive this sucker. I'll provide in-depth explanations for the games I feel particularly strong about.

1. Bioshock Infinite

Flawless game. Easily one of my favorite games I have ever played. I thought that Booker was an amazing character, and more importantly, Elizabeth was too. Elizabeth has to have been the best companion I have ever had. She never wanders too far, and I don't have to hold her hand, and pray that she doesn't get hurt in combat. In addition, she's so kind that she even gives me items every now and then. I can't tell you how many times I was thankful that she tossed me a bottle of Salts, because I know for a fact that I needed Murder of Crows to stun those enemies to give me breathing room.

While others may disagree, I loved only being able to carry two firearms. I thought it added a sense of difficulty to the game - you can't just say, "I'm out of ammo in guns x and y, but it doesn't matter; gun z has plenty!" I thought it was almost too easy in the first two Bioshock games.

Then of course you have the Boys of Silence. Some people really dislike them, but I have a morbid adoration for them. They were present only during the game's darkest moments, and that made them all the better. That slight feeling of suspense as you walk through the hallways, unsure if you'll see the bright light of a watchful Boy of Silence. The moment you step into his light, be ready for a fight with some of the creepiest people I have ever seen in a game. Then of course there's the final Boy of Silence. The unavoidable one. The one that you turn around, and he's there. He was waiting. And now you're trapped. You don't know what it is to have a mini heart attack until you turn to leave, and it screams in your face.

Most importantly is the ending. The ending was, to put it simply, mind blowing. It was the best ending I have ever witnessed, and I thought that it wrapped everything up well, while still leaving a question or two behind. The ending was just perfect.

Elizabeth said:
Are you afraid of God, Booker?
Booker DeWitt said:
No. But I'm afraid of you.

2. Assassin's Creed: Revelations

My favorite Assassin's Creed game, to put it simply. This game had it's flaws - it's gameplay was too similar to Brotherhood's, and Den Defense was impossibly annoying and difficult - but I thought that it was the perfect way to end the Altair and Ezio chapters of Assassin's Creed. The visit to Constantinople during the height of the Ottoman Empire pretty much was the best thing ever for me as a lover of history. The Ottomans are easily one of my favorite people, and Assassin's Creed: Revelations portrayed them perfectly.

The gameplay - while still great - was a bit too close to Brotherhood. This isn't really a bad thing by nature, but it wasn't the best thing. Brotherhood had fantastic gameplay, but Revelations should have certainly upped the gameplay more than it actually did. It was a step in the right direction, but the game needed just a few more steps to get there.

The story, though, was complete perfection. This is what I consider the best story in an Assassin's Creed. Between the heart-felt moments with Sofia, and the moments of humor with Yusuf, the game is very versatile in its story. Remeeting Duccio was also a pleasant surprise, and his utter fear of Ezio was hilarious. I thought that it was perfect, until Ezio just made the entire scene, saying,

Ezio Auditore da Firenze said:
He was engaged to my sister. But his cazzo [Italian for male genitalia, usually meant as a curse word] was engaged to five others.

Then of course you have Shahkulu. This guy has very few lines in the game, but every time he opens up his mouth, he just gets better. His hatred for the Turks know no bounds, and his harsh words personify this. But the fact that he survived Ezio's air assassination, played dead, then proceeded to choke Ezio just cemented himself as my favorite Templar. The guy took a stab in the arm from Ezio, and started laughing. Any guy that powerful deserves to be adored by every Assassin's Creed fan.

The ending, however, makes the game for me. The final fifteen minutes of the game were fantastic. This ending is only beaten by Bioshock Infinite's.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze said:
No books, no wisdom, just you, fratello mio [My brother].

3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Batman: Arkham City
5. Assassin's Creed II
6. Bioshock

This game is fantastic. I'd say the gameplay is lacking in many areas, but the story easily compensates for that. I found the story to be amazingly in-depth, and while it may seem mysterious on the outside, everything makes sense once you find all of the audio diaries. Rapture tells a better story than Columbia, that's pretty difficult to do so. By the end of the game, you begin to realize that Jack is but a small piece in the catastrophe that became Rapture. Yet even as a small piece, his impact on the remains of Rapture is enormous.

Frank Fontaine said:
You were the closest thing I had to a son. That's why it'll almost hurt to have to do this.

7. Madworld
8. Borderlands
9. The Walking Dead
10. Team Fortress 2

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Just to clarify in case I've given off the wrong impression, I would definitely have included BioShock Infinite had I not considered the 8th generation to already be in swing. It'll also no doubt be on my list of the best 8th generation games (lol really far away from now) and will almost certainly be my Game of the Year. If only other shooters could be this good...

Not in any particular order:

Bioshock Infinite (I'm still using this even though we're not counting 2013 for whatever reason.)
Bioshock
Halo 3
Portal 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Pokémon Black 2/ White 2

That's all I got for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom