• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Too Old for Halloween?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Do you believe someone can be too old for Halloween? I don't.

I'm 17 years old and I love Halloween. I may not dress up and go door to door saying "Trick-or-Treat!" anymore, but I do dress up and hand out candy to the kids that come to my house. Halloween is my favorite holiday. I still participate in it like that.

If you say that I'm too old for Halloween, and you're older than me, then that means you're too old for Halloween too. Which means you shouldn't be participating in it by handing out candy to kids. They'd still be participating in it one way or another, if they celebrate it. In other words, I don't think someone can be too old for Halloween. That's how I feel.

What about the rest of you? Do you think people can be too old for Halloween?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Halloween: The Australian tradition of closing the blinds and ignoring the few teenagers in the suburb that watch enough American television to believe it exists here and want free lollies.

I'm not one to have a strong view on a topic like this, but I'd say that age is no problem. It would be a little strange to see an elder come up to the door and demand candy, but dressing up? 'tis alright for any age.

Joy

The Sexy One
I go trick or treating. :embarrassed:

Don't let anyone tell you you're too old for Halloween Az! No one's ever too old to dress up as a ghost and annoy the neighbors for sweets.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
TOO OLD FOR HALLOWEEN? NEVER!

Okay, if you're, like, in your late 20's and married, yeah. (Unless you're going to a party, or something.) But 17? Helllllllll no. I'm nearly 20 and I still love dressing up for Halloween. It's so fun! ^^

Dan

My parents never let me go out trick or treating so, I never did Halloween in the first place. :P
My mind will convince me to watch a horror however, "Dan it's Halloween I say we get into the Halloween spirit by watching a good ol fasion horror" and I'm all like "fine we shall do that, but preferable no anime horror" then my mind is all like "fair enough, but that's likes a bit prejudiced to anime". then I'm like "you don't even know what that word means do you", then he's like "...bit harsh".

I never normally watch a horror anyway so, I guess I don't do Halloween anyway, but whatever, you can celibate what you want regardless of age, who's gonna stop you. I still eat those animal biscuits intended for kids, because I love em, and no one can stop me from eating them. So I would say, no you aren't too old.

ive never really liked halloween and didnt do it until i met my gf, its cool to go to neighbourhoods that don't know me

"Wow, your face make up is great!"
Me: yeah... its not make up

They never know what to say =]

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I love Halloween. I love to go and get some free from the neighborhood. I always say that nobody is too old for Halloween....unless you're a Senior Citizen:P Who wouldn't want free candy from a stranger *ahem* I mean...your neighborhood?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
We don't really celebrate halloween over here in Holland. But I don't think people are rweally getting too old for it. Yes for trick and treat of course but not to celebrate Halloween itself. It depends on how much you care about it and are into it

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
There is a point in everyone's life where you stop doing things that you did when you were younger on the grounds of "that's for kids". Gift-giving is always something that adults typically do in my experience, but gift-RECEIVING is something that children do. I personally think that Halloween like, the whole concept of it, is a kid thing to do. I don't celebrate Halloween, but from what I understand, you're essentially scaring people for some purpose and receiving treats for it. It sounds like a kid thing to do, so yes I believe you could be too old for Halloween, from dressing up to receiving candy.

Now, if you WANT to dress up, that's totally ok! I'm not trying to banish anyone or ruin fun! Just pushing my thoughts out :P

There's much more to Halloween than simply costumes and Trick or Treating; you have movies, Pumpkin foods, decorations, Corn Mazes, parties, and Haunted Houses.

Personally, you're never too old for getting scared or dressing up. It's the spirit of the holiday so why celebrate it if you don't participate?

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I like to celebrate Halloween, but I don't go out for it now because I have no one to go with. I usually just carve a few pumpkins and sit on the porch, handing out candy with my computer playing creepy music.

octorok74

TETTAC
I don't participate because I'm too old. You can be too old for it. Passing out candy reluctantly like I do doesn't count as participation. I always pass out candy to more adults than kids. That is why this year I am passing out black licorice to the people. How you like me now?

Yes. I believe there comes a time when you're too grown up to participate in such childish festivities. Halloween entails dressing up in fanciful and/or frightening costumes and scaring people; not to mention going from door to door collecting sweets, as well as consuming loads of sweets, which in itself sounds childish.

Adults have a lot more to worry about when it comes to Halloween. For starters, the consumption of so many sweets is more of an issue with adults seeing as they lack the speedy metabolism that kids have. Furthermore, adults dressing up and going around scaring each other has different implications than if a kid does it.

If anything... Adults may be able to get away with a costume party or two, as despite dressing up and such, there's usually alcohol involved and other things that are better geared towards adults. After all, an adult costume party is essentially a regular old party with a special theme.

In a nutshell, yes, I do think that adults are too old for the trick-or-treating aspects of Halloween - eating loads of sweets and such, etc. - but there are ways that they can participate and enjoy it as well...

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
You are never to old to torment the little kiddies mUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, for eggsample place the candy near you while hid in say a bin and then spring out at them and see them run, i love doing variations on that it's gotten to the point where i have to hide ever more elaborately.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Halloween has only really existed in Norway in the past decade or so. It wasn't until I was in (our equivalent of) jr. high that I even learned about it. We were like 15-16-ish, my friends and I, when we decided to go Trick or Treating in the neighborhood as a prank - amusingly enough - despite Halloween being virtually non-existent in Norway back then - we managed to walk away with a whole shopping bag full of treats. One house demanded that we sang for our treats (so we chanted the rhyme from Nightmare on Elm Street, lol).

I don't think anyone would be too old for Halloween - I really don't believe in upper age limits in general. If you think something's fun to do - why would you deny yourself the opportunity to do it? Stop caring what people around you might think and care about what you yourself think ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom