• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Tingle Fascinates Me. Is Something Wrong with Me? Take a Deeper Look!

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
tingleevil.jpg

It sounds a bit weird, but I'm quite fascinated by that strange, absurd character. I always thought, Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is just a boring game, presenting a few mini games. But I was wrong, the game is a full fledged Adventure Game. So I ordered my copy a few days ago and received it yesterday. Now, I see Tingle from a whole different perspective. I never hated him, he just doesen't interested me. But now, the situation changed.

You may know his backstory. In the game, you can't choose the Name Tingle, because Tingle is not a person, it is more like a curse you receive. You start as a 35 year old unmarried guy, bored by his life. It will take a while he will transform to the Tingle we know from Zelda.

So, actually, this guy got a pretty poor fate. I think, he fits perfect in the surreal setting of Majoras Mask, were he made his first appearance. He is as strange as the game itself.

What do you think? Will Tingle ever make an appearance in a major Zelda Game again? And, why is this character so unpopular in the US? Rosy Rupeeland was pretty popular in Japan. And even here, in Europe, Tingle have fans (a reason the game was not released in the US was because of his unpopularity in the States). I will not say every American Fan of The Legend of Zelda hates him, but, most of them do.

He is, indeed, a very strange dude. But, I'm also fascinated by him. I think he should make an appearance in an upcoming Zelda :D
His last appearance was in 2004. So it's almost 10 years ago (can't remember seeing him in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Please correct me if I'm wrong).

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Not gonna lie. That picture creeps me out. I doubt anything is wrong with you, but this pic just don't look right to me. Heh, whatever floats your boat.

Tingle is a really cool and odd character. I doubt we've seen that last of him. I mean remember when Beadle popped in SS? It wasn't that he was too popular, but he's simply interesting to have in a game. I think Tingle will be back before too long.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I would just like to clarify that Tingle can get the ladies.

2IvEp.jpg

Tingle can also be Superman.

2IvFI.jpg

So I do believe Tingle should be the main focus of another Zelda game THAT'S NOT a spinoff!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think Tingle will in fact make another cameo appearance in a major title. He's unpopular, though, because over in the west there's the concept of "gay" as a negative term - that is exactly what Tingle is ascribed here in the US at least.

Personally, I found Tingle a whimsical, if abstract, character. Initially, I thought that too much effort was put into such a minor role, but now I can see why. He's fascinating, for sure, and I feel he has an important place in the Zelda series. Not to the extent of Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf, but--well, he's a lot like the Postman. He has an important role he can play, and can be either a whimsical bit of comic relief or maybe, just maybe, something to build on how real the world is. It all depends. And depending on where Nintendo goes with him in the main series, I will come to love or hate him. that's who Tinge is--for most, you love him or you hate him.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Oh, I've seen that fanart on Deviant Art. It's a Zelda parody on "Shadow of the Colossus." I must say that the light from the sword is pointing to a rather unfortunate weak spot.

Link: There's no way I'm climing that! Wander! Come take your own damn game back!

Wander: Not even resurrecting Mono is worth crawling around on that part of his anatomy!

Mmm... for me... Tingle is a kind of "love to hate" character. It's like, I need a designated un-favorite in the series and he's creepy and annoying enough to fit the bill, but he also has a strange, smelly charm. He's fun to go "WTF?" at.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That image is just glorious...

And for me, I was just confused as to what the hell Tingle was when I first saw him. So, he fascinated me too. In a weird way.

Haha, that picture!!! Anyway, I have always found Tingle pretty cool... in a weird way :). And as you said, he fits perfectly in Majora's Mask. I hope he makes another appearance in Zelda Wii U :).

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Ah, nice to see a few posts. Even more nice, they're not as negative as I expected.

You can't name yourself Tingle in his game? Huh. Interesting.

That's right. If you name your character Tingle, you will be noticed with this quote: "Für diesen Name ist es noch zu früh". Translated: "It's to early for this name". There is a trick you can still name the dude Tingle, but you have to choose a special character after the E.

So you will be Tingle, when Uncle Rupee has cursed you with the Tingle spell. You will transform to Tingle, this strange dude we all know from Zelda.

The game is really some great experience. Love the abstract 2D Artwork. You will even explore the Deku Tree as a Dungeon in Rosy Rupeeland.

He's unpopular, though, because over in the west there's the concept of "gay" as a negative term - that is exactly what Tingle is ascribed here in the US at least.

I think that's the problem. Tingle is very much to be considered as straight. He likes women. Your guide is a sexy Fairy called Pinkle (renamed in the German text because Pinkle sounds like pinkeln, which is a more rough word for peeing here in Germany). It's just like his appearance, which made Tingle looks a bit homosexual. Not that this would be a problem if he likes guys, but that is not the case here.

You may watch part 1 from the Walkthrough of Rosy Rupeeland. It's quite interesting, no annoying commentary (the only commentary in a Walkthrough I really like was the ones from Mases and Caleb here at Zelda Dungeon).

[video=youtube;tUzytTarnHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzytTarnHY[/video]

H

holmesn89

Tingle has always made me laugh. He's a really unique character. He doesn't want to grow up and instead spends his time flying around on a red balloon wearing green spandex and drawing maps for a world that's about to be destroyed. Later he realizes that he can rip you off by charging you upwards of 400 rupees to read a map! Oh yeah, he has the life.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
The only future interaction I would want with Tingle is between him and the business end of the Master Sword...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Tingle is indeed fascinating my friend... He sports a skin tight green body suit with red underwear on the outside as if he's some kind of overweight super hero. He's also got some odd facial hair as well some mysterious tattoos, not to mention he is wearing a clock necklace, maybe because of the whole time theme in Majora's Mask .

I think Tingle has become somewhat of an infamous character in the Zelda series, not so much for his roles in the game but fan perception and the fact that he is rather different to the normal cliché characters in the series. I think there is a lot more to Tingle that meets the eye, he is a guy that just wants to be something more, he claims he was once a fairy, dresses up like a superhero and seems to find success in life by earning rupees. We always see him as this delusional 35 year old man but I wonder what must have happened in his past? Truth be told I think there is still much to be seen from this little man and I hope we do seems him in future installments.

Last edited:

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Totally agree with you justac00lguy. You described the Character very well. Makes me think of it, what does Zelda composer Koji Kondo thinks of Tingle and his reputation? I would love to hear his opinion. It's no secret Tingle was modeled after Koji Kondo.

zeldadungeon.jpg

You can't deny your son, Mister Kondo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom