• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Discussion

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
Isnt ganondorf sealed in the dark world/sacred realm typically?
I believe he was in the DT, because the sages didn't have anywhere else to send him. He ruled there for a bit, got kicked out in lttp, and then... yeah. I think "sealed" doesn't mean in any place in particular, just sealed. It tis what it tis.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
I believe he was in the DT, because the sages didn't have anywhere else to send him. He ruled there for a bit, got kicked out in lttp, and then... yeah. I think "sealed" doesn't mean in any place in particular, just sealed. It tis what it tis.
So what's the difference between the sacred realm and Twilight realm?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
So am I wrong for thinking the cutscene in TP is the sages sealing Ganon in the Twilight realm?
No, after all they attempted to seal him in the twilight mirror
But twilight princess isnt on the downfall timeline, whereas albw is
I guess I didnt technically make that distinction in my post but I was referring to downfall

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
No, after all they attempted to seal him in the twilight mirror
But twilight princess isnt on the downfall timeline, whereas albw is
I guess I didnt technically make that distinction in my post but I was referring to downfall
Ganondorf was weakened, and sealed in the the Twilight Realm for a little bit. I want to do more more research on the Twilight Realm itself, but the general idea here with downfall he was in the sacred realm, TP he was in the Sacred Realm, every other time he was somewhere else. They kinda just stick him wherever is convenient

This is also something I don't like about the Downfall Timeline. Like, why did you need Link to do the battle at the end? It would have led to the same result. Ganon "wins" or he "loses," but either way he is sealed by the sages. It's the same result whether he vanishes or not and so ALttP and Wind Waker are responses to Ganon unsealing himself (in the canon timeline).
Actually, if you look at the Japanese version of OOT, you’ll see that Ganondorf isn’t sealed in the Sacred Realm at the end, but rather is sealed “beyond the realm of the dead”. The American version changed the dialogue to have Ganondorf sealed in the Sacred Realm. If you look at the Japanese text of each game, you’ll see that ALTTP is the only game to reference Ganon getting sealed in the Sacred Realm, meaning that it’s only in the Downfall Timeline that Ganon was sealed in the Sacred Realm.

Source: http://forums.legendsalliance.com/topic/17108-list-of-japanese-translations/
When do you all think the Downfall Timeline was decided on by Nintendo?

I ask not only because of the OoT-ALttP connection, but also because of the village names in Adventure of Link. It was reconfirmed in 2008 that the towns are named in honour of the OoT sages in universe, which was well after the split timeline was fleshed out quite a bit, and yet before the official chronology was revealed.

This doesn't work on the Adult Timeline because Ganon and Hyrule were annihilated in the ending of The Wind Waker, nor does it work on the Child Timeline since the sages never awakened there.

In order for this connection to work, it would require a branch where the later part of OoT still happened, only without the Great Flood. That's why I feel the Downfall Timeline may have existed then.
Aounuma confirmed the existence of a timeline in 2004, so I’m sure the Downfall split has existed for at least that long. It’s possible that the Downfall split already existed when OOT was released. That they considered not including pig Ganon at all in OOT (and that Miyamoto would have been ok with that), that Ganondorf is sealed “beyond the realm of the dead” in the Japanese version of OOT, and that the “Hylian” race isn’t nearly wiped out at the end of OOT like they were in the backstory of ALTTP all point to OOT having a happier ending than the backstory of ALTTP did.
So what's the difference between the sacred realm and Twilight realm?
Sacred Realm = where the Triforce is in the beginning of Ocarina of Time.

Twilight Realm = where the ancestors of the Twili were banished to after unsuccessfully trying to get into the Sacred Realm.

Last edited:
Timeline deniers often think Hyrule Historia was written to appease the fans, but in reality it was the fans who didn’t want there be a timeline and it was the creators who always followed a timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom