• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Discussion

I agree, @GZ Zelda. With the normal explanation, there is a timeline split in every game, seeing as there's a chance for the player to get a game over. For THE split to make since, it needs to be something different. With my second explanation, at least we get some good reasoning for it all. The downfall timeline is the natural course of events and the other timelines are the attempts to stop that series of events. Lo and behold, it all still comes down to the same thing anyway.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Just assume I'm lurking (and judging)
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
I agree, @GZ Zelda. With the normal explanation, there is a timeline split in every game, seeing as there's a chance for the player to get a game over. For THE split to make since, it needs to be something different. With my second explanation, at least we get some good reasoning for it all. The downfall timeline is the natural course of events and the other timelines are the attempts to stop that series of events. Lo and behold, it all still comes down to the same thing anyway.
I love the sort of MM style "inevitability" that would suggest... tbh it bothers me that Nintendo trys to say it makes sense because "well time travel and ripple effects and uh... stuff". Really for the downfall to exist would imply there is an alternate timeline for legit EVERY other game, which would be insane. I've never quite bought it, but that ^^ makes sense.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
The reason I rationalize the Downfall timeline being different from every other Game Over in the series is that this specific downfall is the only one that still results in Ganondorf being sealed. (Note that Link did not lose to Ganon, but to Ganondorf for the Downfall timeline). Perhaps in every other timeline that is caused by Link's defeat, Ganondorf simply goes on to acheive his goals. However, it is only in this timeline that the sages still managed to seal him, even though he had the full Triforce. As for why this is, all the sages would of course need to be awakened, so any death before that would result in his victory. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to seal Ganon; any ideas?
And as for why the sages needed Link, remember that Ganondorf was cut off in his castle with Zelda. Sealing Ganondorf away with two pieces of the Triforce and Zelda likely dead would be the likely result of not sending Link.

Chevywolf:30

The one and only.
I should probably know this, but what exactly happened on the CT? Link went looking for Navi, but he met up with Zelda first. And what about Ganon? There seems to be a lot of blank space there. Now that I think of it, isn't the cutscene in TP in the Mirror Chamber part of the answer to my question?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
I should probably know this, but what exactly happened on the CT? Link went looking for Navi, but he met up with Zelda first. And what about Ganon? There seems to be a lot of blank space there. Now that I think of it, isn't the cutscene in TP in the Mirror Chamber part of the answer to my question?
When Link got back to the child timeline after OoT, he told Zelda everything that had happened in the future and Ganondorf's plan. Then he went to search for Navi. Now Zelda, knowing what would happen, was somehow convincing enough to arrange Ganondorf's execution. The problem was that when Link came back to the child timeline, he still had the Triforce of Courage with him. The CT triforce, which had not been touched by Ganondorf, responded and released the other two pieces. Because of this Ganondorf gained the Triforce of Power, saving him from his execution, and the sages were forced to seal him in the twilight realm.
I hope that answered your question, but it does bring up one of my own- what ever happened to the other triforce of courage? I mean, shouldn't there be two now?

The one and only.
When Link got back to the child timeline after OoT, he told Zelda everything that had happened in the future and Ganondorf's plan. Then he went to search for Navi. Now Zelda, knowing what would happen, was somehow convincing enough to arrange Ganondorf's execution. The problem was that when Link came back to the child timeline, he still had the Triforce of Courage with him. The CT triforce, which had not been touched by Ganondorf, responded and released the other two pieces. Because of this Ganondorf gained the Triforce of Power, saving him from his execution, and the sages were forced to seal him in the twilight realm.
I hope that answered your question, but it does bring up one of my own- what ever happened to the other triforce of courage? I mean, shouldn't there be two now?
Ok, thanks for clarifying.
As to your question... Think of Majora's Mask. When you time travel there, some things stay with you so shouldn't there be multiple hookshots/bows/masks/you name its? Doesn't seem to be. Similar concept with the Triforce perhaps?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Ok, thanks for clarifying.
As to your question... Think of Majora's Mask. When you time travel there, some things stay with you so shouldn't there be multiple hookshots/bows/masks/you name its? Doesn't seem to be. Similar concept with the Triforce perhaps?
Most of the items you keep are items that you can never get again. Once you have the bow, you can't go back to that same treasure chest and get another one. I've always thought of it as kind of pulling the item into your own time travel effect immune bubble, if that makes sense. It gets pulled from the time loop and the one same bow, everytime you reset. So by that logic, maybe Link still has his triforce piece, and its not affected by the time traveling?

The one and only.
Most of the items you keep are items that you can never get again. Once you have the bow, you can't go back to that same treasure chest and get another one. I've always thought of it as kind of pulling the item into your own time travel effect immune bubble, if that makes sense. It gets pulled from the time loop and the one same bow, everytime you reset. So by that logic, maybe Link still has his triforce piece, and its not affected by the time traveling?
Yeah, that's what I was saying.

So, as per the backstory of A Link Between Worlds, we know that when Ganon returned and tried to take the Triforce again, the hero of that era and the Seven Sages of Sealing sealed him in ''darkness''. We see Yuga later use the Painted Sages to free Ganon from this patch of darkness.

But, what is this darkness? Is it a place we've seen before? Something new?

I theorize that it's more or less a supernatural ''prison cell'' to keep Ganon contained that the sages sealed him in after being incapacitated by the hero in the backstory, but I'm open to other ideas.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff
So, as per the backstory of A Link Between Worlds, we know that when Ganon returned and tried to take the Triforce again, the hero of that era and the Seven Sages of Sealing sealed him in ''darkness''. We see Yuga later use the Painted Sages to free Ganon from this patch of darkness.

I theorize that it's more or less a supernatural ''prison cell'' to keep Ganon contained that the sages sealed him in after being incapacitated by the hero in the backstory, but I'm open to other ideas.
I thought they were just retelling the Imprisoning War in ALBW? And I thought Ganon was dead but Yuga used the paintings to resurrect him somehow?

I thought they were just retelling the Imprisoning War in ALBW? And I thought Ganon was dead but Yuga used the paintings to resurrect him somehow?
No. The Imprisoning War was about stopping people from entering the Sacred Realm, and halting Ganon's forces that were leaking out. This part of the backstory was referring to the Sages(probably the Ancient Sages) hiding the Triforce. This part of the bs was probably referring to the Era of Chaos.

Ganon's backstory is retold partly, mainly the part about him being the human thief Ganondorf who entered the Sacred Realm, claimed the Triforce, and became the Demon King, but then it skips over ALttP and the Game Boy (Colour) titles(like how SS, TMC, and FS were skipped over) nad talks about a different event that has some huge differences from ALttP;

ALttP:

-Seven maidens, not sages; Zelda is one of the maidens
-Ganon is killed
-The Triforce is united

ALBW:

-Seven sages, not maidens; Zelda is not one of the sages
-Ganon is sealed with the ToP, not killed
-The Triforce is divided

This event is noticeably different from the events of ALttP, and happened prior to ALBW, just like how the backstory for FSGBA is a seperate event involving Vaati than TMC, despite FS being after TMC.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff
No. The Imprisoning War was about stopping people from entering the Sacred Realm, and halting Ganon's forces that were leaking out. This part of the backstory was referring to the Sages(probably the Ancient Sages) hiding the Triforce. This part of the bs was probably referring to the Era of Chaos.

Ganon's backstory is retold partly, mainly the part about him being the human thief Ganondorf who entered the Sacred Realm, claimed the Triforce, and became the Demon King, but then it skips over ALttP and the Game Boy (Colour) titles(like how SS, TMC, and FS were skipped over) nad talks about a different event that has some huge differences from ALttP;

ALttP:

-Seven maidens, not sages; Zelda is one of the maidens
-Ganon is killed
-The Triforce is united

ALBW:

-Seven sages, not maidens; Zelda is not one of the sages
-Ganon is sealed with the ToP, not killed
-The Triforce is divided

This event is noticeably different from the events of ALttP, and happened prior to ALBW, just like how the backstory for FSGBA is a seperate event involving than TMC, despite FS being after TMC.
Interesting, so basically there is room for an interquel game here that explains ALBW's backstory.

The one and only.

I haven't played lbw, but this sounds like the Twilight realm, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom