• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Three Heart, No Shield Challenge.

S

Seven

Ya I'm sure MANY people have done this before but I am gonna try it. As well as my friend Nathan. Any tips or helpful hints to guide me? Also if you have completed it describe how challenging it was :D!

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
Well, it's impossible because you need the deku shield to go past mido to the deku tree as well as the sword, and you cannot get rid of it.
(sorry if I sound to cynical)

S

Seven

Ya I just realized that lol. I guess the only way to really do the challenge is to burn the shield in Dodongo's Cavern.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Ya I'm sure MANY people have done this before but I am gonna try it. As well as my friend Nathan. Any tips or helpful hints to guide me? Also if you have completed it describe how challenging it was :D!

It sounds kind of challenging, but by no means impossible. Especially if you get the Biggoron's Sword and all the bottles and fairy upgrades.

Now, like the above poster said, you would have a hard time getting rid of your shield at first. But you can choose not to use it. You can use your slingshot on the Deku Scrubs instead, for instance. Keep on "not using" it until you get to Dodongo's Cavern. Then, step into the lava, and let your shield burn up.

If you don't acquire a Hylian Shield, then you should be shieldless up until the Spirit Temple, where you'll HAVE to use the Mirror Shield for several puzzles and to beat the boss. After that, however, you can just try to avoid using the shield until the end of the game. If you regularly use the Biggoron's Sword, you'll find yourself not using the shield much anyway, due to how cumbersome it is to put your sword away first.

S

Seven

Exactly. My friend has made it all the way up to the Spirit Temple. He says it's pretty tough so I thought I'd give it a try.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Man, that would be hard. I've done an OoT 3 heart challenge in which i put a lot of restrictions on, like no fairies, no extra bottles, no potions, no biggoron sword, etc., but no shield? It was like, the only reason I was able to finish the 3 heart challenge haha.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Ya know.. I haven't found myself using a shield ever alot. However combined with the 3 heart tacked onto it. That seems very difficult.
I'll have to try.

Kybyrian

I think the best idea is to just get the shields and use them only where absolutely necessary. Such as getting the Deku Shield to pass Mido to get the Deku Tree and getting an using the Mirror Shield in the Spirit Temple. As long as you aren't using it to benefit yourself in any way not required to complete the game, you're fine. You may want to add a few other things to your challenge to make it a bit harder as well if you feel up to it. For example, if you have Master Quest you can try that. In the regular quest you can also play without Fire Arrows, it may make a couple of the puzzles a little more challenging. Good luck with your 3 heart challenge! :)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
My advice to you is to use Deku Nuts and roll like crazy when going up Death Mountain. I've done a similar challenge before (in which it was 3 Hearts, No Shield for benefit, no Bottled Items, etc. etc.) and trust me, if you use Deku Nuts on Stalfos, that will make things loads easier. Although that's assuming you're doing an exact replica of my challenge, which you probably aren't.

Also, you may want to get the Biggoron Sword so that way the use of your shield is limited. And the Bow/Slingshot/Boomerang/Hookshot works on Deku Scrubs, you just gotta keep at it. Also, whatever you do don't get hit too often if you don't have milk or anything. A lot of the enemies late in the game do quite a bit of damage for a 3 Heart Run, and with no Shield, that only makes things harder.

My final piece of advice is to believe in yourself and keep on truckin'. Never give in, aim for the stars, the sky is your oyster (that didn't come out right, lol), etc. etc.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I use the shield a lot during combat, so this is pretty challenging. Good luck.
If you are using bottles, try to get all of them as early as possible.

Ooccoo Watcher

Some guy with a Clawshot.
There is a glitch in which you can skip mido. You must go into the tunnel where you recieve the sword, back out of it, and when the black bars are still on the top and bottom of the screen, press A to check the sign. Then if you throw a deku nut WHILE checking the sign (yes, you can) you can move around the screen without the camera following you, thus it being unable to block your position. It is very hard to navigate but if you press Z you can try to judge your position with Navi. When you use a deku nut on the sign you must NOT press A or the glitch will stop working.

S

Seven

I wish I would have known this earlier now lol. But I managed to get to the Fire Temple without a shield so far (excluding the first dungeon). Three hearts is hard to keep up with also xD! I am gonna play it again soon and complete it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom