• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The "you're Nearly Dead" Sound

Fierce

Deity Link
They're the anthem to my minimalist challenges! I love the sound! So much danger and thrill! Completing a one heart challenge Cave of Ordeals in TP is one of my greatest accomplishments. That noise isn't annoying, its an accomplishment.

That being said, I never hear it when I do completionist/speed runs. :(

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Yes, it's annoying. But that's because it's designed to be. If you're down to one heart, it's quite possible that you're going to die. Which would be a reason to stop playing the game (at least for a while). And the game designers don't want you to stop playing. That's why they added that horrible noise. Because the game is supposed to annoy you into refilling your heart containers. Because the game designers don't want you to die. Because the game designers don't want you to stop playing. They want to make the game challenging, sure. But they don't want you to actually die.

Now that I think of it, this would be a great ringtone. Or even better, a sound for an alarm clock.

A

Ark96

I see the beeping as a reason to kill the enemies near u so u can get some hearts, to make it stop, thats how i got through the cave of ordeals in TP, floor 45, 2 hearts, and I beat the dungeon with those two hearts

B

beyerballler54

Me and my bro used to get annoyed beyond belief with the noise so we would just mute it. Now I kind of like it because it makes me realize that I'm down to low health

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Kingdom Hearts stole the sound. I remember in KH2 (I think it was two) on top of the mountain with the responding crows with the unlimited xp glitch that sound was repeating for a long time (if you've ever done the glitch you'll know).

I like it. It's my reminder to grab health, since I never even bother to look up in the top left corner any other times.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Kingdom Hearts stole the sound. I remember in KH2 (I think it was two) on top of the mountain with the responding crows with the unlimited xp glitch that sound was repeating for a long time (if you've ever done the glitch you'll know).

I like it. It's my reminder to grab health, since I never even bother to look up in the top left corner any other times.
KH didn't steal the sound, it stole the concept. What glitch is there in KH2? I haven't encountered a SINGLE glitch besides the one where if you go to World Map while in a Form or Summoning, you'll get Drive Gauge to max.

I love the sound, especially OoT's and TWW's versions. The olderones are too siren like, they blare for seconds and then stop, blare for seconds and then stop, so on. I still like those as well though.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
KH didn't steal the sound, it stole the concept. What glitch is there in KH2? I haven't encountered a SINGLE glitch besides the one where if you go to World Map while in a Form or Summoning, you'll get Drive Gauge to max.
Yeah, that's what I meant. The concept. But to be fair the exact sound has changed much over the years and it's entirely possibly that it could be a rehash of one of them.
And I also said I'm not sure if it's KHII or not, but the crows respawn on the top of the mountain (it's in the land from the Lion King, on top of Pride Rock, I think, whichever game that is). No enemies respond in the same way anywhere in the game, and many consider it a programming oversight or glitch (myself included).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yeah, that's what I meant. The concept. But to be fair the exact sound has changed much over the years and it's entirely possibly that it could be a rehash of one of them.
And I also said I'm not sure if it's KHII or not, but the crows respawn on the top of the mountain (it's in the land from the Lion King, on top of Pride Rock, I think, whichever game that is). No enemies respond in the same way anywhere in the game, and many consider it a programming oversight or glitch (myself included).
That actually has something to do with the way that Pride Rock handles the RAM. I noticed it with other games like Final Fantasy XII where it uses a system of Random Number Generation (RNG), I believe there is a set value that comes back up everytime you hard reset your PS2 or reload that save file. I don't think it's a glitch because if you would have saved after clearing say The World That Never Was of enemies, then hard reset your PS2, all of the enemies will have respawned just the same way they do in Pride Rock.

If anything, I'd say it's closer to Legend of Zelda's (NES) low health alarm if I remember the way that one sounds correctly (I doubt I do, to be truthful).

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I don't mind the sound much anymore, I now think that it is a nice mechanic that tells me I need to get more health or I will die. However that does not excuse that the sound is very annoying, especially in the earlier titles. Sometimes it distracted me from my playing and made me quite mad annoyed. Overtime the sound has been dumbed down quite a bit, like in the recent Twilight Princess, the sound is almost muted. To be honest I really hope they keep the sound because it is so iconic and useful in the Zelda Franchise and I would be really disapointed if Nintendo took it out.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I hate that sound! It's so annoying!!! Although I do think I'd miss it if it was gone so I guess I'm split...

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I don't mind it at all. If I didn't hear it, I'd probably forget I was about to die. Then I'd go die...

Anyway, I hardly ever look at my heart meter unless I want full health. I don't find it annoying in any way, since I think it's a necessary helper.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Sigh...this sound is a centerpiece of nearly every Nintendo game from Mario to Pokémon. I must confess, I never liked that sound, but at the same time, having an alarming sound repeating over and over again sort of increases the adrenaline and make you more alert for enemies who would deliver the finishing blow. In terms of Zelda, it's not that annoying in the modern 3D games, but in the 2D games, it is really quite loud.

In a lot of 3D Nintendo titles, to be honest, the sound is quiet, whereas the 2D titles have very loud sounds, such as the Pokémon games and the early Nintendo games, especially the first Legend of Zelda. It made me sad when I was in the overworld, and I couldn't hear the music due to myself being on only one heart remaining. For some unknown reason, I found A Link to the Past's the most annoying. Perhaps because it sounds different from the Legend of Zelda's, and the Legend of Zelda's sounds like it came from the Pokémon titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom