• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Value of the Gamecube

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
So today I was speaking to my friends, and the conversation turned to our old Gamecubes. We spoke of how great it was and that we find ourselves playing evey now and then on it, even if the Wii can do the same. We talked about the games we had and played that we still enjoy today even if they seem chilidish or akward into today's gaming industry.

The most mentionced games that we played were:
  • Mario Party
  • Pikmin
  • Need for Speed: Carbon
  • Sonic DX
  • Digimon Series
  • Super Mario Sunshine
So the question is simple. Do you still use your Gamecube? What games do you play? What games you still enjoy today?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
The GameCube had several great games for me. I don't use it anymore because I can just play the games on the Wii ;). But these are the games I play:
- Twilight Princess
- The Wind Waker
- Mario Party 6
- Mario Kart: Double-Dash
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
- Mario Power Tennis (not really anymore, I play the Wii version now)
- Super Smash Bros Melee (not really anymore, I find Brawl to to a funner game)
- Donkey Kong: Junglebeat

These games were really fun. And in my opinion, the GameCube had the best controller, which makes playing these games all that much funner.

Jedizora

:right:
I Love the gamecube. its one of my favorite systems, with WW, TP, soul Caliber 2, and more, I love it.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
My GC is in the closet in sealed box so dust doesn't get on it. I use my Wii as basically a GC but with internet access.

JZ Speaking of Soul Caliber 2 I've been playing it very recently.

Beeker

Wild Card
I still love my Gamecube. And as weird as it sounds, I've only used the backwards compatibility of the Wii a few times during the years I've had it, and that was because I was lazy!
There are quite a few good games, (some of which I never got to play), like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Sunshine, Pikmin, Smash Bros Melee, and Pokemon XD, off the top of my head.

And in my opinion, the GameCube had the best controller, which makes playing these games all that much funner.
The GC controller is my favourite too. It's very comfortable to use compared to some of the other controllers. After a while, I pretty much adopted it for use as a controller for the Virtual Console games I have since I find them good to use for a bunch of control schemes.

Really, the only thing I use my Gamecube for now is for the Gameboy Player that the Wii can't play. I might not use my Gamecube anymore, but there sure were a hell of a lot of excellent games that were released for this console. Of course there's Super Mario Sunshine, The Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, Sonic Advance DX and Adventure 2 Battle, but the Gamecube also had several nice remakes and ports. The original Resident Evil was remade only for the Gamecube, as well as the release of Resident Evil 0. Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica were ported to the Gamecube. Resident Evil 4 was originally Gamecube only.

Then there's also Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, which is a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid. I haven't played it yet, but I'm quite positive already that it'll be an amazing game.

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
The GameCube is my baby:D First system I ever got when I was super young. I cherish it. Notable games: Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Luigi Mansion, Pokemon Colosseum and XD. Many more to lazy to type em.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It has a lot of sentimental value to me, because I played a lot of great games on it. Technically speaking, I can easily play GCN games on my Wii now, so I don't need the console. Well, except for one thing... I use the Game Boy Player on it as a second GBA for trading Pokemon, because I only own one GBA. Also, since my GBA isn't backlit, playing GBA games on the GCN works better at night.

As far as the games that came out for it?

Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Tales of Symphonia
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Pokemon Colosseum

Were some of the best.

Like nearly everyone else here, I don't actually use my GC anymore, because playing them on the Wii works just as well, and that way I don't have to juggle cords around too much. I still play a lot of GC games, though.
The Gamecube always seemed like the oddball system for Nintendo. Lots of their main franchises got somewhat weird installments on it: for example, look at Mario Sunshine: it is pretty weird. I mean, washing off an entire island because a Mario lookalike has been painting graffiti everywhere? That's pretty weird even for Mario. And then there was Fludd, who changed up the gameplay a bit, and who lots of people didn't like. Then there's WW: not many people liked the look of it at first, and some people still don't. Besides, it was the first time Nintendo introduced Toon Link, which was a pretty big change from the other Zelda games. Then there was Starfox Adventures, which was in a totally different genre from the previous Starfox games. And don't forget Luigi's Mansion.
That being said, the games were still fantastic. Mario Sunshine remains at second place in my list of favorite Mario games, I did really enjoy Starfox Adventures, and WW was really fun the first time through (I've never played Luigi's Mansion.) Not to mention Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Mariokart Doubledash, Smash Bros. Melee, and then, much later on, TP, which was plain awesome.
The Gamecube definitely had a lot of value in my opinion. There were tons of good games, and it showed Nintendo was willing to experiment with some of their main franchises. Besides, the Gamecube controller was nearly perfect.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I sold my GameCube last year because I wasn't using it and it was taking up space. I kept all my good GameCube games like Harvest Moon, Mario Party 4 and 7, Mario Kart Double Dash, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing and lots more. I've recently started getting into the Metroid games so I bought the first two Metroid Prime games for GameCube recently. I think the GameCube was good; it was the first console I owned (missed the 64 by a few years; got one used later) and it had some awesome games.

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
I love the Gamecube. It was Awesome. I miss having one at my dad's house... The Wii might be able to play Gamecube games, but it's just not the same... I almost cried when I tried to make the Wii make the silly alternate Gamecube start-up noises, and discovered you can't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom