• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
An interconnected, dungeon-like world has been an element present in all the souls games, as well as Bloodborne and Sekiro. Even in similar games like Code Vein and Darksiders 3. It's not a stretch to say that it's also something that defines a "souls-like". However, if we say that, it basically makes the "open world" and "souls-like" genres completely incompatible. Which doesn't seem entirely right.

I don't think the world structure is necessarily what makes a Souls-like. I'd chalk it up to the specific gameplay mechanics I listed before. Heck, Elden Ring isn't even the first open world Souls-like game. The first 3D one was (I think) Ashen.

I think there's a ton of similarity between soulslikes and metroidvanias. So would you consider metroidvanias open world?

I agree that there's a ton of similarities between the two. I wouldn't consider metroidvania to be open world, though.

I don't think the world structure is necessarily what makes a Souls-like. I'd chalk it up to the specific gameplay mechanics I listed before. Heck, Elden Ring isn't even the first open world Souls-like game. The first 3D one was (I think) Ashen.

I've never looked at Ashen. I'll have to lay some eyes on it.

I think it's worthwhile. I like that your main settlement builds up as you progress further. My biggest complaint is the sharp difficulty spike in the final area.

Might give it a shot once I'm done with Elden Ring. Though that might be a while. I just recently got my invisible enemies bug under control and cleared Stormveil Castle. I'm a bit behind.

The same constraints that apply to metroidvanias to prevent them from being open world also apply to soulslikes by my definition

I see what you mean. Would you consider Sekiro a soulslike despite it being more of an action game then an rpg?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I see what you mean. Would you consider Sekiro a soulslike despite it being more of an action game then an rpg?
Nope! Sekiro isn't a soulslike to me, exactly for the reason you state. Soulslikes are subgenres of arpgs or wrpgs and sekiro is clearly an action/adventure game (and also my favorite fromsoft game to date)

Nope! Sekiro isn't a soulslike to me, exactly for the reason you state. Soulslikes are subgenres of arpgs or wrpgs and sekiro is clearly an action/adventure game (and also my favorite fromsoft game to date)

Gotcha. It's my favorite, too. Though admittedly, that might only be because I play on PC and have therefore never played Bloodborne. I have a soft spot for horror. Especially of the vaguely Lovecraftian variety. Also, Sekiro was the only one I got good enough at to consider speedrunning.

I didn't do it. But I thought about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom