• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Possibility of A Link to the Past 2

This thread concerns both the 3DS and the WiiU so I'm dropping it in world of Zelda to avoid confusion.

Not too long ago Nintendo expressed interest in both remaking A Link to the Past and doing a sequel to it as if they wanted to re-start the Hero Defeated/downfall timeline. The mass craving and support for Majora's Mask 3D after having devoured OoT3D meant that at least on the 3DS we won't be seeing a remake of A Link to the Past any time soon.

But the sequel idea is still out there and technically a game we haven't seen before is an 'original' game regardless of it being a straight sequel or previously mentioned by the developers. So, with MM3D being put on hold until an original Zelda surfaces, i want to know what you think the possibility of seeing a sequel to A Link to the Past is as one of the forth coming games on either WiiU or 3DS.

Is one of these games Zelda3DS or ZeldaWiiU in with a chance of being ALttP2 or do you think we're going to see non-linked Zelda titles first before ALttP2 surfaces?

If either game ends up as ALttP2 are you going to be happy or somewhat disappointed that the game is taking its lead from a previous Zelda in the form of a straight sequel?

Last edited:

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Well, I would say that this would make sense. I just doubt that they would call it "A Link to the Past 2". Nintendo isn't that uncreative.

I would be happy, depending on how the game is itself. I wouldn't mind aLttP2, as long as they, again, don't call it "ALttP2". So, depending on how good the game is, I will be happy.

I doubt that it will match the bar of greatness that is aLttP itself, but I am expecting it to be good; at least better than Skyward Sword (which at the point in the game where I am now, I find its placing among the other games I've played to be kind of like: aLttP>OoT>MM>SS>ST>TP>PH). I hope that it will be awesome, and worthy of being a sequel to A Link to the Past.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Well maybe LA but OoT is actually leading into ALttP DarkLink. so ALttP is actually a sequel to OoT in that fasion. All i know is that ALttP is my favorite Zelda Game. and any chance to continue that story line would make me happy!

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I see LA as LttP 2 and I enjoyed it very much in its time.

That said, I want the next Zelda game in LttP's timeline. My preference would be post AoL, but something that focused on the war for the Sacred Realm or an account of how things went to **** between LttP and LoZ would be acceptable too.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well maybe LA but OoT is actually leading into ALttP DarkLink. so ALttP is actually a sequel to OoT in that fasion. All i know is that ALttP is my favorite Zelda Game. and any chance to continue that story line would make me happy!

I said 3 sequels (OoX, LA) and a remake (OoT). Actually...make that 2 remakes (OoT 3DS)

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
I don't want "ALttP 2" as a sequel, because one already exists, but it's not fully canon (Ancient Stone Tablets). Also, we already have canon sequels (OoX and LA)

A prequel could be nice, taking place between FSA and ALttP (screw the HH timeline). Either Ganon escapes from the Four Sword or defeats four Links in FSA, creating different "downfall" timeline". In both cases, Four Sword is divided into four swords (literally) and ends up in the Palace of the Four Sword.

Deeds

no text
ALttP2 would be pretty interesting, I have to say. Whether it's a sequel, or a remake - it would be very cool. I don't know how Nintendo would be able to adapt it to modern gaming though, everything is 3D now-a-days it would look a bit weird. I'd be for it though, most definitely.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hmm am not to bothered by the possibility of a a straight sequel...On the one hand you have the continuation from what was perceived to be one of the most influential Zelda games but also it could harm the reputation this game has!

It also depends on what type of game it it, if Nintendo go for the 2D top-down style the game might not look as good as the new 3D installments do and if they go for the 3D approach it will lose the charm of one of the best 2D Zelda games...So tbh I wouldn't care if Nintendo release A link to the Past 2 but if it was between that and an all new Zelda I would rather have an all new Zelda game:)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I honestly don't see ALttP2 released on the 3DS anyitme soon. We have MM3D and Zelda 3DS on our plates; the latter of the two will take forever to make, and the former will take forever to release since it's put on hold due to Z3DS needing to release first. So, ALttP2 won't go to 3DS unless Nintendo totally disregards OpMoon.

Now, it going to the Wii U is far more likely, but we still have ZeldaU in the making. Nintendo loves to take their sweet time with the prestigious series, so we can't really put a figure on when it'll release. However, AlttP2 still has a greater chance since there is a smaller backlog for the Wii U. :)
I said 3 sequels (OoX, LA) and a remake (OoT). Actually...make that 2 remakes (OoT 3DS)

OoT wasn't a remake. ;)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I honestly don't see ALttP2 released on the 3DS anyitme soon. We have MM3D and Zelda 3DS on our plates; the latter of the two will take forever to make, and the former will take forever to release since it's put on hold due to Z3DS needing to release first. So, ALttP2 won't go to 3DS unless Nintendo totally disregards OpMoon.

What if Zelda 3DS is a sequel to A Link To The Past? And why will Zelda 3DS take forever to make anyway? We know Nintendo like to take their time with Zelda but I honestly don't think we'll be waiting forever. The Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass both released roughly 2-3 years on from their respective console's launches and the 3DS is two years old this year so we may be seeing Zelda 3DS a lot sooner than you think.

As for Majora's Mask, Grezzo might be working on it right now for all we know. And anyway, the original was made in, what was it, 18 months? This time around they don't have to design the map, dungeons, puzzles and story so a 3D release wouldn't take more than a year I should think. We could have both of these games by Christmas 2014. Maybe that's wishful thinking but I don't think it's unreasonable.

Now, it going to the Wii U is far more likely, but we still have ZeldaU in the making. Nintendo loves to take their sweet time with the prestigious series, so we can't really put a figure on when it'll release. However, AlttP2 still has a greater chance since there is a smaller backlog for the Wii U. :)

Same question I suppose, what if ZeldaU is a sequel to ALttP? The developers (I forgot who specifically) have also said previously that they want ZeldaU out by the end of 2014. Now, I'm not gonna hold them to that time-frame but the key ingredient here is that they are at least mindful of not taking a ridiculous amount of time again.

And this backlog for the 3DS somewhat goes away when you factor in Grezzo being the ones who would almost certainly handle a 3D MM, freeing Nintendo themselves up to create an original game.

LANZZ

Scarecrow
The prequel or another sequel of A Link to the Past might be a good idea, and i will like it. The possibility maybe 50% because Miyamoto says that he’d rather make a new game starting from or using the same style as The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

"I think the answer would be the same if we're talking about just porting, but I think I'd be even more interested in creating something new maybe based on, or starting from, A Link To The Past. I think it's important to bring some really new software."

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
OoT was not a sequel is was the Prequel to ALttP respectively. so to those saying a prequel would be better, we already have that! and how do you get two remakes with OoT. as far as OoX im not so sure that was directly linked to ALttP. LA is the only real sequel to ALttP and it was just a dream in the end, so in the case of true canon events as a sequel to ALttP we dont have one yet cuz LA never actually happened. Just so you know!

The prequel or another sequel of A Link to the Past might be a good idea, and i will like it. The possibility maybe 50% because Miyamoto says that he’d rather make a new game starting from or using the same style as The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
and this is true, so Lanzz is the only one making her case with actual facts here. so thank you Lanzz

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
Not a bad idea, but I doubt Nintendo would name it LttP2. Just as NSMBU shared many characteristics with World, they wouldn't name it World 3 (Yoshis Island was 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom