• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Original Link

Previous to the release of Skyward Sword, it was heavily implied that this Link was the original, "true" Link. After all, an origin story about the Master Sword, Zelda, Hyrule, Ganon, and just about every key concept in the Zelda universe would have to have the real, original Link, right?

Apparently not.
For those who don't know/forgot/didn't notice while playing:
What Zelda says when she gives you the sailcloth, "You know, they say that the goddess gave the Sailcloth to her chosen hero long ago. Of course, the one you're holding isn't the same one." reveals the existence of a hero long before the Link of Skyward Sword. Of course, Heroand Chosen by the Goddess mean Link. Now, onto what I really want to talk about:

How? How could this be? Like I've already said, Skyward Sword is an origin story. An origin of every important concept in the Zelda series. All other Zelda games are bound to Skyward Sword, and Skyward Sword explains why every game in the series is entitled "The Legend of Zelda" even if the role she plays is minor or nonexistent. It even seems to explain the concept of Link himself. So, the period that this hero is said to have lived in is during the War between Demise and his hordes and the people of The Surface. Yet, in the opening, it is said that Hylia herself single-handedly defeated and sealed Demise without any aid. In addition, upon meeting Link, Demise notes that he has yet to meet a human who would not flee at the mere sight of him, and that he is "fascinating" for having the desire to meet him in battle. Upon his defeat, he informs Link that he "stands as a paragon of his kind", and also tells him that he "fights like no man or demon" he has ever known.

So, if the original Link (if there truly is one) was involved with the war with Demise, and was so important to the Goddess and the war effort, why then does Demise not note that Link is not the first of his kind? What was the original hero's purpose, and what did he have to do with the original Demise conflict?

Finally, what do you think of all this? How would you feel about a direct prequel to Skyward Sword with the real Link as the protagonist? I'm having my doubts that this Link even exists in the Zelda universe. It just seems... strange to me. The game would feel very recycled, what with Demise and all, and all this stuff about Hylia and all that. In addition, no Master Sword, no Zelda, no... anything that is important in the world of Zelda. It would all be very strange, and, in my opinion, unnecessary. I felt that Skyward Sword did a fantastic job of tying up the loose ends about the origin of everything, and it seems odd to me to think of that game as the game that has the second Link in it. After all, as Axle pointed out in a video two or three weeks ago, he's unarguably the most potent Link in the whole series. He defeated the ultimate source of evil in the Zelda universe, and, not only was chosen by the goddess herself for her plan, but served as her protector in her mortal form. In addition to all this, he not only obtained, but used the Triforce, the only person in the whole series to do so besides Ganondorf. This not only means, that, well, he obtained the Triforce, but he was actually perfectly in balance (power, wisdom, courage) and was truly capable of using its immense power.

Anyway, this has gone on far too long; what do you think of all this?

I think it's some kind of time paradox. After all you defeat Demise in the past. So maybe the "Hero long ago" is in fact SS Link. I think Nintendo put the final battle in the past just to complicate things more.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Well, there is the Hyrule Historia prequel manga, but I do not know how "canon" you'd consider that.

Personally, when I saw the text regarding the sailcloth I thought "Okay, so Nintendo really *isn't* committing to the 'This is the real, true origin' thing - they're keeping their options open for a prequel somewhere down the line. They sure like milking this cash cow..."

That's what The Legend of Zelda is - a cash cow franchise, one of Nintendo's series that's guarnteed to sell. They're keeping their storyline options open. It's a neverending (and apparently, a never-beginning) legend.

Of course, being the weird person that I am, I thought "Sailcloth -- Wind Waker? -- CRAZY TIME LOOP?!!"

I think it's some kind of time paradox. After all you defeat Demise in the past. So maybe the "Hero long ago" is in fact SS Link. I think Nintendo put the final battle in the past just to complicate things more.

At first this seems highly likely, but time doesn't really work like this in Zelda. It operates under a different theory, and in which, well, the short of it is that that the hero mentioned wouldn't have existed yet. It's hard to explain, but you can read basically how it works in the "Skyward Sword ending discussion thread" in the Zelda Theory forum. I'd love for this to be the solution, though, because I think that would be really neat for them to do something like that.

Then again, I don't have a 100% grasp of the concept, so maybe that falls within the purview of things possible under that theory and I'm just wrong.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
So, if the original Link (if there truly is one) was involved with the war with Demise, and was so important to the Goddess and the war effort, why then does Demise not note that Link is not the first of his kind? What was the original hero's purpose, and what did he have to do with the original Demise conflict?

Apparently the Goddess Hylia knew that Demise would rise again. So, she set in motion the "prophecy" telling of a youth who would take up arms against the Demon King, and each time that foe reappeared, the Hero reincarnated would come up to face him anew. If the Link of Skyward Sword was the original, then he is the first of the "link" in the chain of these heroes. His is purposed to vanquish every new evil (whether a manifested Demise or not, it seems) that threatens Hyrule and its inhabitants.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
In the Hyrule Historia's The Legend of Zelda:Skyward Sword prequal Manga, they explain everything. Some say that this can't be proven as Canon, but I think this one is. The other Zelda Mangas do not have any canonicity, but Nintendo actually said that THIS manga was official and they even put it in the Hyrule Historia, a book that's purpose is to explain everything Canon about the Legend of Zelda series.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
Skyward Sword is an origin story, it does explain many things. But Nintendo will probably make another game comes before Skyward Sword in the timeline. This might be the root of their new story. And to be honest. I would love to see that, maybe with some improvements over Skyward Sword.

Well just because the goddess gave it to her chosen hero doesn't mean the hero was Link. He could be a new hero that was born to be apart of the new chain of heroes as I think someone said.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
At first this seems highly likely, but time doesn't really work like this in Zelda. It operates under a different theory, and in which, well, the short of it is that that the hero mentioned wouldn't have existed yet. It's hard to explain, but you can read basically how it works in the "Skyward Sword ending discussion thread" in the Zelda Theory forum. I'd love for this to be the solution, though, because I think that would be really neat for them to do something like that.

Then again, I don't have a 100% grasp of the concept, so maybe that falls within the purview of things possible under that theory and I'm just wrong.

Ah but sir, if time doesn't work like this in Zelda, how do you explain the Song of Storms paradox in OoT? Guru Guru knew the song when you were an adult even though you hadn't played it for him yet.

Anyways, I never really thought of Skyward Sword as the true origin story, just that of the Master Sword, the goddess bloodline, the hero bloodline, and the little hint of Ganon's creation. So I wasn't really surprised that there was an earlier hero.

But now I do think that the hero referred to is actually the Link we play as, since we fight Demise in the past. And i do believe that Fi or Impa says that the past time period we fight him in is right after Hylia took the remaining races to the sky. So this would explain the absence of this hero in the intro, since the fight is after the scene described in the intro

univpark

Heart of Steel
I think that what Zelda said was a legend. Well, it was, but I think that it would still be cool if Nintendo made another 'origin' Zelda game, but I don't care as long as they keep coming out with new ones!

ss is the origin story of the master sword and as it seems how the triforce came to be in the "real world".
nintendo always keep their options open for another prequel in the zelda universe.

"You know, they say that the goddess gave the Sailcloth to her chosen hero long ago. Of course, the one you're holding isn't the same one."
Perhaps, this is all a time paradox. Maybe this little "legend" was told by someone in the past, someone who was around when Hylia was setting her plans in motion, who knew of this prophecy, of which Zelda would be Hylia reborn as a mortal and Link would be the chosen hero. Zelda IS the goddess, she gave the sailcloth to Link, HER CHOSEN HERO. And since she dosen't know that the person who told her of this story was actually speaking of that very moment in time, she wouldn't think that Sailcloth would be the same one in the legend.. however, it is.

"In addition to all this, he not only obtained, but used the Triforce, the only person in the whole series to do so besides Ganondorf."

Actually, Ganondorf isn't the only one to use the Triforce besides Link. Remember the King of Red Lions during the final battle in WW?

it's possible that the legend was supposed to be a prophesy- that the goddess would give the sailcloth to her chosen hero, but over time the meaning changed, much like rumors do. because technically (SPOILER!!!!!!!!) the goddess did give it to link. Or like Winter said, that it could be a rumor from the past (that trickster Impa :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom