• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Full SS Demo Map!

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
SS Full Demo Map!.jpg
click for a larger view!

watch this video, at 4:16 you get to see the full image of the map, you can zoom in an out on areas of the map, it even rotates! Plus we get a compass? Maybe it has something to do with that treasure hunting feature they talked about?? maybe the compass point leads you to treasure chests? or maybe those 2 X's mark treasure spots. anyway I'd like to hear what you guys think about the map.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXpzKIAg9w&feature=related

I wrote an article about it awhile back, you should check it out.
http://www.zeldaeternity.com/2010/06/the-skyward-sword-e3-demo-map/

Last edited:
I love the look of the map, and the addition of the compass really gives it a WindWaker-feel, which is a good thing :P

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
A map and compass (while true to the series' roots) is a great way of helping newcomers. It's easy to get lost in a virtual world. But almost everybody is familiar with the combination of map and compass from the real world.

Sgt. Backwash

JEALOUSY
maybe the compass point leads you to treasure chests? or maybe those 2 X's mark treasure spots
When the compass turns, it's rotating with the map, so it's probably only used for telling the player which way is North, like any ordinary compass. Still handy-looking though, considering the map will not always be held in one position, much like how a real person would rotate it.

As for the X's, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that those are the two "bosses" of the demo, since one of them is located in the big tree, which I'm pretty sure the Scorpion guy is. I could be wrong. I don't think it's treasure though, because nobody has ever posted footage of opening a treasure chest, which leads me to believe there simply weren't any in the demo.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
great post Sgt. Backwash I almost totally agree with you, it would seem the X's are the two mini bosses, though I'm not to excited about the map spinning around. Even if the compass just points north hopefully they still use it for the treasure finding feature. I remember learning orientation with a compass and the people teaching my class made us go find all these checkpoints with our map and compass in the middle of nowhere. I think it would be the perfect tool for finding things that are supposed to be hidden. Perhaps we get land charts like the sea charts in WW?

Oh and also I thought I'd point out that the different shades of green on the map appear to represent different levels of elevations in that area. The dark forest green being the lowest elevation and the most vivid green would be the tall trees, not to mention everything in between. It looks like there's anywhere from 4-6 different levels of elevation (there could even be a few extra due to the size of the biggest tree). Imagine if they made a huge one room dungeon with that many levels of depth, like Goron City but before it was habitable. I think that would be really neat.

zeldakid895

Zelda's Kid
That is nice to see. The rotation feature could come in handy, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom