• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

THe CD-I Zelda's Redeeming Qualities.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I want to get this out straight to everyone who criticize the CD-I games blatantly. So here I made a thread dedicated for the things actually good about the CD-I games.

First: The concept for Zelda Wand of Gamelon. The story of WoG was actually pretty good compared to other Zeldas, since unlike the other Zeldas released at the time, it seemed to have been at least original (giving Zelda the hero seat). The problem with the story was that it was riddled with weird dialogue.

Second: The beautiful background graphics. Say what you will about the animations, but do not deny that these backgrounds are very beautiful for a Zelda game.
facesofevil-22.jpg

facesofevil-20.jpg

facesofevil-24.jpg

Third: The music, though unfitting at times, is catchy and very good for a listen. Here are some samples.
Overworld
Kobitan
Faces of Evil Overworld (My bob what a delicious overworld.)
Harlequin's Bazaar

Fourth: Their cover art. You see, the animation of the game was horrible, but I think that the people who made the games didn't want it to look like that.
Zelda_wandofgamelon_box.jpg

This makes me think that the art of the games were originally supposed to look something like that, but because of the cheap Russian animation, the game designers were forced to make due.

I'll update this thread if I can think of anything else, but at least look at this thread and consider that the Zelda CD-I games are not as horrible as you think. They are just mediocre games that were piled with some of the best games in history.

Last edited:

LANZZ

Scarecrow
Yes, i like all CDI zelda games because it have a beautiful background graphics and nice music/soundtracks. But, it controlling is bad.........................

Link: The Faces of Evil

facesofevila.jpg

facesofevil-4a.jpg

facesofevil-5a.jpg

facesofevil-1a.jpg

..................................................................................................

Zelda’s Adventure

250px-Zelda's_Adventure_(box).png

180px-Gameplay_(Zelda's_Adventure).png

images

2.jpg

Review : - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/zeldacdi/zeldacdi.htm

Last edited:

LANZZ

Scarecrow
Good stuff
- The games are very competent and enjoyable.
- The games are filled with beautiful background artwork. It graphics are bright and colorful.
- The games are filled with great music and soundtracks.
- Nice storyline.

Bad stuff
- Cutscene animations of this games is terrible.
- Sluggish controls due to the cd-i system.

For whose that criticize this games, Have you played it either? Or just seen the terrible cutscene animations?

Last edited:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Wow, I didn't even know those existed. I see your points Charge, people think just because they are a CD game they suck. The backgrounds look beautiful and they look cool overall. Are they even counted as proper Zelda titles?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Wow, I didn't even know those existed. I see your points Charge, people think just because they are a CD game they suck. The backgrounds look beautiful and they look cool overall. Are they even counted as proper Zelda titles?

They are not made by Nintendo so no. However, if they were made by Nintendo, and Nintendo was as limited in its budget as the Phillips team was, I'm sure we'd discard them from Zelda history anyways. But these games have locked potential.

linkman8

True and Noble
You're right about the background detail; they did have some potential, although to be honest, they looked almost exactly the same as other games I played from that era for the PC. King's Quest kind of looked like this.
Although, that aside, there aren't very many other redeeming qualities, unless it has good music, which I have not heard.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
You're right about the background detail; they did have some potential, although to be honest, they looked almost exactly the same as other games I played from that era for the PC. King's Quest kind of looked like this.
Although, that aside, there aren't very many other redeeming qualities, unless it has good music, which I have not heard.

I just posted the music on the first post of the thread. It is very good.

For whose that criticize this games, Have you played it either? Or just seen the terrible cutscene animations?
I have not played the game and do not intend to because I know it is a bad one. Why would I play a game I know is going to be really bad? That's what you have reviews for.

I've heard an in-depth description of the controls and issues of the game, and I'm sorry, a game is unplayable without proper controls. And bad cutscenes and voice can break a good story. So most of the game redeeming qualities are eclipsed by these two horrible aspects, sadly. Or at least they are in my opinion.

LANZZ

Scarecrow
I have not played the game and do not intend to because I know it is a bad one. Why would I play a game I know is going to be really bad? That's what you have reviews for.

I've heard an in-depth description of the controls and issues of the game, and I'm sorry, a game is unplayable without proper controls. And bad cutscenes and voice can break a good story. So most of the game redeeming qualities are eclipsed by these two horrible aspects, sadly. Or at least they are in my opinion.

Well, that is your opinion...........

I have played many classic games from many classic platform like Atari, ZX Spectrum, GB, genesis and some others........ And i like them all.............

Although many people don't like Zelda CDI, but i like it. For me, its better than AOL..........

Last edited:
Well, that is your opinion...........

I have played many classic games from many classic platform like Atari, ZX Spectrum, GB, genesis and some others........ And i like them all.............

Although many people don't like Zelda CDI, but i like it. For me, its better than AOL..........
Just so I'm clear, I didn't mean to say that it's an absolute fact or anything. It is an opinion of mine, and I know there are other people who disagree and actually like CD-i. I just don't like the notion that our (me and other people who agree) opinion is not valid just because they have not played the game. That idea in itself renders the concept of game reviews completely useless.

Just because you haven't played a game doesn't mean you don't know a lot about it; enough to know if it's good or not even (at least for you, maybe others would like it).

I've heard people talk about this to attack or disprove CD-i haters, and I don't believe it's fair in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom