• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The Apple Tree

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Hmm? What...? That's confusing. But anyway, love it, keeeeeep writing! It's mysterious!

When the story ends, i'll be answering questions if you have any. About symbolism...etc. I will put that chapter up today, btw. I was unexpectedly busy that day.

~~~~~~

Chapter 7-

The Forest was a twisted, murky place. Littered with dead trees and decaying foliage. The ground had little to no grass, as due to the lack of sunlight, nothing could grow. The overwhelming smell of rotting leaves, bark and animal corpses was at some times unbearable. But despite these wretched conditions, Dolly and Ella pushed on, though they covered their noses throughout the journey. Eventually, a small clearing appeared, with a twisted willow tree in the center. There were shadows floating around the tree.

Dolly pointed like a shot at the shadows in awe. Ella simply looked on in confusion. What was so interesting about shadows? The duo pushed on to the tree, and towards the sunlight that gleamed there.

"Wait!" murmured Ella. "Maybe, we should go back? It's not safe here..."

Dolly stared back with a passionate flare in her eyes.

"Okay! We'll go on..."

Finally the tree was in view, but, the view was not a pleasant one. The shadows that floated around the tree were what seemed to be bodies. The bodies of humans.

Dolly fell back in shock and fear, but Ella stood stong, and with a courageous look on her face, tapped one of the bodies.

"Don't worry Dolly, these arent people. They're only dolls! It's to scare people away, see?"

Dolly sighed in relief, and walked on. She looked around in confusion. The tree seemed to be a dead end. There were no paths they could take that were visible. They didnt miss anything.

"I told you we should have went back! You dragged me into this! Now we're going to die out here alone! It's all your fault!" Ella screamed angrily.

An eeriee silence echoed through the forest, and Dolly stood stone faced, staring at Ella. With a swift turn, Dolly turned away and tore two dead trees out of her way, creating a small path. She strutted silently away, while Ella looked on in dismay.

"Dolly! Wait! I'm sorry! I didnt mean to shout at you!"

Ella ran after her, and treaded softly behind her. "Please Dolly? Will you forgive me? I'm just tired is all..."

Dolly jerked round and put her finger against Ella's lips. She pointed to a rustling in the bushes, and watched as a snow white rabbit crawled out. It approached them eagerly, and ran off in a straight line. Dolly and Ella chased after it. It seemed to be leading them somewhere.

After some running, falling and running into dead trees, the rabbit lead them to the end of the forest. It turned to them, stood on its hind legs, then faded away.

"D-d-did that rabbit just...vanish?" Whispered Ella.

Dolly nodded, then ran out of the forest. The grass was a bright green, and the sun was in clear view. The ocean was visible from the clearing pathway.

Ella stopped Dolly in her tracks. "It's just a little bit more to go, eh? And about before..." Her head dropped in shame.
Dolly smiled, and placed her hand under Ella's chin. She immediatley perked up, and they ran to the top of the giant hill, along the shimmering white pathway.

The winding path took them higher and higher, looking over everything on the island. The town was barely visible, and sunset field was in clear view, giving off the same orange glow as ever. The sky was cloudless, and a sense of victory ran through the two girls.

Finally, they reached the top, and just as the story foretold. There it was, in all of it's glory, The Apple Tree.

On it's branches there were three apples, each as shimmering red as the last. Dolly and Ella smiled, and remarked that the tree resided on a cliff, overlooking the sapphire ocean.

Dolly approached the tree, and with a deep breath, she reached out, and grasped an apple.

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 8-

The apple was shiny and firm, it glistened in the sunlight and was completely perfect. The stalk was not very strong, yet it managed to support the apple for an unknown amount of time. It could have been days, weeks or even years.

The tree itself was quite small. Its leaves were lushious and a deep green, and it was full of life. It seemed to be quite young, but according to legend had been around for thousands of years. Dolly gripped the apple tightly and with a small tug, pulled it off of the tree. She turned to Ella and looked confused.

"Uh...what do we do with it? Eat it?" She replied.

A bright flash caused the two to recoil, and the small white rabbit appeared before them. It ran towards the cliff, and hopped frantically. Nodding towards the ocean and squeaking ecstatically.

"I think he wants us to throw it into the water. But, how will that help? Won't it just float? That isnt exactly scattering seeds..." Ella said in an unsure tone.

Dolly looked back to the rabbit, still hopping in place. Despite her concerns, looking at it seemed to dissolve her worries. She paced over to the edge of the cliff, and with one strong throw, sent the apple flying out into the ocean.

She stared at it as it floated on the surface, bobbing up and down. Nothing seemed to be happening, when at the last minute, it shone with a golden light and vanished. The small white rabbit rubbed up against Dolly's leg, before vanishing as well.

Ella stared on in confusion at the dissapearing rabbit. "Is this some sort of weird magic trick? I need to take a rest..."

Dolly smirked and stared out at the ocean victoriously. She went to grab another apple of the three, but the cliff below her began to crack and crumble. She dived for safety, but it was too late. She attempted to call out for Ella, who was sitting down, with her back turned to the tree. But she couldnt force out any words. Her grip was slipping. The grass began to grow weaker, and there were no footholds or branches to hold on to. The ocean below thrashed against the cliff face in what seemed like rage, and she grew more terrified. Her hand slipped. She was barely holding on now. A strong gust of wind blew by, and she slipped even more. Another gust tore through, and forced her to let go. Dolly's eyes widened and her pupils shrunk.

She rocketed downwards, unaware of her fate.

Ella broke the silence. "Dolly, I really think we should be going now. It's getting dark" She turned to find no-one there.

"Dolly? Are you hiding on me again?" Ella examined the scene. There were no hiding places. Her eyes turned to the crumbled cliff beside the tree. "DOLLY!" She darted over to the spot, careful not to fall herself. Dolly was not visible in the ocean, nor on the rocks below. Had she drowned? Ella's face contorted to fear.

"...Dolly?"

arkvoodle

Diabolical
(This story is getting worse, in my opinion. Sorry who ever's reading. :( Need to move the plot along anyway~)

Chapter 9-

"Look! There's someone there!"

"Is she alive?"

"Of couse she's alive! Can't you see her chest moving?"

"Uh...maybe? I don't know! I'm not looking directly at it in case you accuse me of staring again!"

"Oh! You know, you're so stupid sometimes!"

"Pff. Whatever. At least I don't snore excessively"

"It's not snoring! It's purring. And I don't wake up in a puddle of drool in the morning"

"I do not drool in my sleep!"

"Do to!"

"DO NOT!"

"DO TO!"

Dolly rubbed her head and eventually rose from her painful slumber. She watched as a boy and a girl argued and pushed eachother back and forth. She giggled a little, rubbing the bruise on her head. She rose to her feet, and looked straight up. The cliff which she fell from wasnt visible.

"Look! She's awake!"

The girl forced her friend down to the ground, and she ran over to Dolly. She looked her up and down, then focused in on the bruise.

"WOW! You only got a bruise from that fall? I expected you to go splat! You know, break every bone in your body..."

Dolly looked at the girl with a disgusted face, but eventually reverted to a small smile.

"I'm Leonie. That's my stupid brother, Damen"

"I can introduce myself you know!" Damen screamed before pattering over. "Do you talk?"

"DAMEN! Don't be so insensitive! Be polite to Miss...?"

Dolly did the same routine as she did with Ella, and wrote her name in the beach sand.

"Ah! Dolly! What a nice name" Smiled Leonie.

Dolly smiled slightly, then looked up in dismay. Was Ella up there all alone? How would she get back home?

"Don't be looking up there" Said Damen sourly. "We've been trying for months"

Dolly's eyes widened in fear.

"Don't say that Damen! Show her the project!"

"The project? Heh. If you can call it that" Damen grasped Dolly's arm and showed her into the cave where the two were living. There were pieces of cloth for beds, and a small fire in the center to keep them warm.

In the back though, there was something special. Something miraculous. A miracle perhaps. There was a hot air balloon.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Wow. There was one typo in chapter eight, you said three not tree but it was amazing to read, my heart pounded an I laughed at Leonie and Damen! :xd:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Thanks for the tip, Meegles. :) It seems you're the only one reading, but anywayyy~

Chapter 10-

Dolly stared in amazement at the odd contraption. The wicker basket and the balloon were broken. How could this possibly fly?

"We need to fix it up, and we've been doing that with materials that wash up on shore. We've been working on it for 7 months. We've been down here for 8 months...I think...i've lost track of time" said Leonie.

Dolly looked at the balloon, and noticed a small tear in the side.

"That's the problem there. We can't fix that up"

Dolly's eyes widened and she tore a patch off of the bottom of her dress. She dangled it in front of Leonie.

"That's it! But how do we attach it?"

Dolly exhumed a needle from her hair, and ran over to the balloon. She tore her sock slightly, and used the threads to attach the patch. The hole eventually vanished completely, and Leonie let out a shriek of joy. Damen was in the water, trying to catch fish.

"DAMEN! GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE AND HELP ME DRAG THIS OUTSIDE! Quick! Quick! The hole is fixed!"

Dolly smiled, and helped drag the balloon outside along with Leonie and Damen.

"Start up the burner, we're getting this into the air!"

Damen ficked some switches on the burner, and helped lift up the balloon up until it inflated.

"We're finally getting out of here, and it's all thanks to you!" shrieked Leonie in happiness.

"We arent out of here yet, so don't get excited" remarked Damen.

"Oh stop being so negative drool boy"

Damen stared at Leonie angrily, then climbed into the slightly broken wicker basket with the others.

The balloon began ascending into the air. They climbed higher and higher, past the rugged cliff face, and eventually over the Apple Tree. Ella wasnt there. There were faint footprints leading into the twisted forest. Dolly grew worried and stared at Leonie's smiling face. She was distracted by the view.

"Maybe we should land here? It seems pretty safe!" questioned Damen.

The balloon began descending, but was interrupted by a strange creaking.

"What was that?" Leonie murmured.

The earth around the tree began to shift and change. Large shoots of thorns shot out from the earth and attempted to slash the balloon. One took a chunk out of the basket, but none of them could reach as it began ascending again.

"DAMEN! GET US OUT OF HERE!" Screamed Leonie as the thorn whips attempted to reach them.

"Stop ordering me around! I'm getting tired of it!" replied Damen angrily

"Well maybe if you stopped being so stupid, I wouldnt have to order you around!"

"Maybe if you werent so controlling!"

"Just shut up Damen"

"NO! You shut up!"

"No! You shut up!"

"NO! YOU-"

Dolly covered both of their mouths with her hands and panted angrily, staring at them with dead eyes. The two backed down, and Damen made the balloon rise higher, escaping the thorns that were still desperatley slashing at the balloon. They were almost out of sight of the tree, when suddenly, the earth shook again near the tree.

"What now?" exclaimed Leonie.

The thorns from before had retired back underground. Something bigger was coming. Something deadlier. The ground shook violently, and the shockwaves stirred the air around them. Chunks of earth scattered around them, and a roar of sheer terror emitted from the hole left behind. The thorns had retired underground and merged into one being. It shot out of the ground and revealed itself. The being was a deep green, and brandished sharp red thorns. It was long and winding, and had the head of a serpent. It roared again, and attacked the bottom of the balloon.

"HIGHER! WE HAVE TO GO HIGHER!" screeched Leonie in fear.

The balloon rose, but the beast was still able to reach them.

"FASTER! HIGHER!" Screamed Leonie, with tears running down her face.

The beast seemed to have no end. It just kept growing, much like the thorns it was made from. It took one violent leap, and slashed the balloon before whacking against the wicker basket, sending it flying towards land.

"We're all going to die!" Cried Leonie as the balloon skyrocketed out of control.

Dolly simply stood, her face pale and head pounding in pain. The balloon was spinning incredibly fast. Nothing was visible anymore. She seemed to be trapped inside a tornado of fear and pain. This torndado that could ultimately result in Leonie's, Damen's, and her own demise was nearing its end.

Dolly closed her eyes.

Everything went silent.

Their journey had ended. But, where were they now?

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Woah. I love this. And don't worry...soon more people will be reading this. Leave it to me...I know what should do it. More people have to read this. Leave it all to me...^^

arkvoodle

Diabolical
**I did post chapter 11 last night, but because I was very unhappy with it, I deleted the post. The new chapter 11 will be up later**

Hazel

A Frog
Wow, it's great!!! Haha, I laughed at me and Damen. XD It reminds me of me and Killian, and he does drool! XD

Anyway, great story. I hope Leonie, Dolly and Damen are Okay, and that they'll meet up with Ella. :)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 11-

The balloon had reached the end of it's journey. It had crashed violently, in such a way that it damaged several trees and set fire to the earth itself. The burner was still lit, and rested in the branches of a withered tree. Pieces of the balloon were strewn across the ground in a ragged fashion, and the wicker basket lay overturned, but relatively un-damaged.

"I know she's around here somewhere..." muttered Leonie at a distance

"How do you know?" replied Damen

"Well she has to be!"

"What if she fell out before we crashed?"

"That's impossible, I saw her beside me when we hit that tree"

"You mean the pine tree?"

"No! The dead one!"

"I don't see any"

"Turn around"

"Oh yeah! I see it now!"

"Ugh. You're so stupid... Dolly! Dolly are you there?"

Dolly opened her eyes. She was somewhere dark. Small beams of light permiated through the cracks of wherever she was.

"Let's just give up, Leonie" Mumbled Damen, as he took a seat on the wicker basket. "We're not going to find her!"

"Yes we will!" shouted Leonie. "She's obviously around here somewhere..."

Dolly heard the walls of the box surrounding her crack and twist. A small hole appeared in the roof, and she stuck her hand through it.

"EEEEP" Screamed Damen as he pointed to the wicker basket "MONSTER IN THE BASKET! THERE'S A MONSTER IN THE BASKET!"

"That's no monster, Damen" Leonie gently turned over the basket, and found Dolly sitting underneath, dazed, but alright.

"There you are" Sighed Leonie in relief. "We've been looking for you everywhere! Come on, we're going into town to see a doctor. There's no telling with bleeding and what-not!"

Dolly's face grew pale with worry.

"Oh look at you! You're so pale! Let's go already!" she insisted

Dolly paniced and crawled away from Leonie. She shook her head in disagreement.

"Won't your family be glad to see you? You've been gone for two days!"

Dolly stopped and looked to the floor in sadness, then back to Leonie.

"Oh come on!"

Leonie continued to try and coax Dolly into getting help, while Damen sat staring at the clouds.

"Hey sis, is that supposed to be doing that?" Damen pointed to the dead tree that the burner was resting in. It was sparking, and making a roaring noise. Dolly grew even more worried. She realised where she was. She was in sunset field, and the tree the burner was about to explode in was the tree where she first met Ella. Her make-shift shelter was now in view, and wasnt far from the soon to be burning hot air burner.

"I don't know! Quick! We have to get out of here before it explodes!" shouted Leonie

Although Dolly was sad that her memories were going to be incinerated, it came as a welcome distraction from going into the town, though the explosion might soon stir up some attention.

The burner's hum grew louder, and the flurries of sparks grew more violent. The branches of the tree ignited in a flash with the intense heat, and with a flash, the burner exploded, knocking over the tree, crushing the shelter and sending chunks of metal flying everywhere, narrowly avoiding Leonie and Damen.

The smoke cleared, and the dust settled. Dolly rose to her feet, and watched the old tree burn viciously, sending small towers of smoke into the air.

At the entrance to the field, however. Something was standing firm. A figure, of a girl. It was Ella. She waved happily, but her smile faded as she looked behind her. A crowd was coming, an angry crowd. A dangerous one. Ella darted across the field, avoiding the wreckage of the balloon.

"RUN!"

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Lol, at the monster in the basket bit, I was laughing so hard and pop was staring at me like I was an idiot! XD Love it though! :)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Chapter 12-

Ella grabbed Dolly's hand and ran with her out of the field and down the dusty path, Leonie and Damen trailing behind.

"Where are we going!?" shouted Leonie

"To the tree! We're going to the tree!" replied Ella

"But it tried to kill us!" intervened Damen

"It's a tree! It can't kill people!" panted Ella, desperatley running out of breath

All the while, Dolly was anxiously looking back at the crowd chasing them, brandishing their weapons in the air.

"There she goes! Get her! Get the demon!" They cheered.

Ella and the others dashed through the long grass, tripping several times, but quickly making a recovery despite the grazes and cuts.

"We can go through the forest, Dolly knows the way!" called out Ella to Damen and Leonie

"Uh...what forest?" replied a confused Leonie

"It's to the left!"

"There's nothing there...just the cliff face"

"B-but that's impossible! It has to be there!"

Ella ran over, and confirmed her fears. The forest was gone. All that was there was the cliff face.

"Oh dear! Well we'll have to take a different path! I know, through the cave over there!"

The crowd could be seen fast approaching through the grass, though there were not many, the threat level did not decrease.

Dolly, with pale face and shivering limbs, stumbled into the darkness of the cave, and felt the rotten vegetation that lined the walls. The smell was almost unbearable. All four of the travellers covered their noses with their sleeves, afriad to breath.

The cave was almost pitch black now. There was no going back. The mumbles of the crowd could be heard at the entrance, but none had dared enter as of yet.

"EEEP!" screeched Damen

"What is it now you dope?" said Leonie

"There are spiders everywhere!"

"Damen, it's only one. And it's tiny!"

"Oh shut up you! I don't like spiders!"

"I dont like you!" laughed Leonie

"HEY!" exclaimed Damen "EEP! There's another one!"

"Ugh. It's the same spider. Hey, E- Ella. That's your name right? Well anyway, can you please explain to Damen here that the spiders are tiny and can't hurt him?"

Ella and Dolly had stopped in their tracks. Ella had her hand raised to signal them to be quiet. She was looking up in terror, and from the ceiling dropped large globules of acidic saliva, dissolving the floor of the cave.

Eight, elongated, hairy legs came into view, followed by a set of eight terrifying eyes.

"J-just a small spider? WHAT ABOUT THAT THING!?" Screamed Damen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom